UK planning to evict N-registered aircraft

Old August 10th 05, 08:54 PM
Andy

Isn't that what he said?

Andy

Old August 11th 05, 12:01 AM
Bob Moore

"Andy" wrote
Isn't that what he said?

Nope!

Bob
Old August 11th 05, 12:47 AM
Sylvain

ORVAL FAIRAIRN wrote:
In the US, all you need is three takeoffs and landings at night within
the past 90 days to be qualified at night -- no IFR, "night rating," etc.

to carry passengers; if you go on your own, you don't even need that.

--Sylvain
Old August 11th 05, 01:54 AM
ORVAL FAIRAIRN

In article ,
Bob Moore wrote:

ORVAL FAIRAIRN wrote
In the US, all you need is three takeoffs and landings at night within
the past 90 days to be qualified at night -- no IFR, "night rating,"
etc.

I don't think so, Orval....

(b) Night takeoff and landing experience.

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act
as pilot in command of an aircraft CARRYING PASSENGERS during the period
beginning 1 hour after sunset and ending 1 hour before sunrise, unless
within the preceding 90 days that person has made at least three takeoffs
and three landings to a full stop during the period beginning 1 hour after
sunset and ending 1 hour before sunrise, and—

(i) That person acted as sole manipulator of the flight controls; and

(ii) The required takeoffs and landings were performed in an aircraft of
the same category, class, and type (if a type rating is required).

Isn't that what I said (abbreviated)?
Old August 11th 05, 02:19 AM
Bob Moore

ORVAL FAIRAIRN wrote
Isn't that what I said (abbreviated)?

Nope! Your post implied that to be night current, one
needs the takeoffs and landings....not true, I can fly
solo at night with no requirements other than the initial
certification requirements. There was no mention of pax
in your post.

Bob Moore
Old August 11th 05, 04:08 AM
ORVAL FAIRAIRN

In article ,
Bob Moore wrote:

ORVAL FAIRAIRN wrote
Isn't that what I said (abbreviated)?

Nope! Your post implied that to be night current, one
needs the takeoffs and landings....not true, I can fly
solo at night with no requirements other than the initial
certification requirements. There was no mention of pax
in your post.

Bob Moore

I guess that is true -- after all, that is what I have to do to get
night current again. But, we don't have any "night rating" over here --
thank God!
Old August 11th 05, 07:08 AM
ShawnD2112

Are you kidding? Have you ever tried to find an ANO reference for anything?
I can't make heads or tails out of that silly document.

You're much more technically correct that I intended to be. I was only
trying to point out the original poster was in error about the IMC rating.

Shawn

"Peter" wrote in message

"ShawnD2112" wrote

You need an IMC rating to fly in IMC but it doesn't give
you the full priveleges of an IR (Class A use, for instance). It is
merely
to teach you to fly in marginal weather.

Do you have an ANO reference for the last sentence of the above?

The IFR privileges of the UK IMC Rating are essentially those of the
JAA IR, but limited to the UK, no Class A, and 1800m min vis.
Everything else is an opinion; fair enough but it's just that.

One can do perfectly safe fully-IFR flights, in solid IMC, with its
privileges. Just like the full IR, it needs currency and a suitable
aircraft and these cost serious time and money.

Unfortunately it's no good outside the UK, for IFR.

Its possession removes the UK PPL *VFR* requirement to be in sight of
surface and that removal is valid everywhere where they have not added
the "must be in sight of surface" requirement to the ICAO PPL (got
that in writing from the CAA).

Old August 11th 05, 11:49 PM
Simon Hobson

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 7:08:08 +0100, ShawnD2112 wrote
(in message ) :

Are you kidding? Have you ever tried to find an ANO reference for anything?
I can't make heads or tails out of that silly document.

You're much more technically correct that I intended to be. I was only
trying to point out the original poster was in error about the IMC rating.

If you are referring to my post at 9:02 yesterday, then please go back and
read it again - I did NOT mention IMC rating or flying in IMC, only IFR !

IFR is not the same as IMC, you can easily fly IFR in VMC.

I wrote :

Not to mention that in the UK a basic PPL with no ratings can fly IFR,
and only needs a Night Qualification to fly at night. I understand
that elsewhere, any night flying (as here) is IFR, and IFR is not
allowed without a full IR.

Hence even night flying requires an IR outside the UK.

In hindsite I suppose I should qualify that statement as "Hence even night
flying requires an IR IN MANY COUNTRIES outside the UK." since I am aware
that the UK is not the only place that allows night flight without an IR.

Old August 12th 05, 06:01 PM

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 06:08:08 GMT, "ShawnD2112"
wrote:

Are you kidding? Have you ever tried to find an ANO reference for anything?
I can't make heads or tails out of that silly document.

You're much more technically correct that I intended to be. I was only
trying to point out the original poster was in error about the IMC rating.

Shawn

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

If you look at the ANO under Schedule 8 it gives the PPL privileges of
an IMC and Night Rating:
http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/s...0/20001562.htm

As for Operating Mimima this is in the AIP under Aerodromes General
AD-1. In particular from section AD 1-1-6:
http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/p...omes/30101.PDF

As noted previously you may only wish to "fly in marginal weather" but
you can legally fly "fully-IFR flights, in solid IMC". The CAA may
wish to stress it's only to get you out of trouble but that is only
their recommendation.

I have an IMC rating and usually file IFR on longer flights in the UK,
especially as flights over the Cairngorm Mountains are rarely blue
skies! Sometimes I can get on top at FL70 to FL10. If only I could use
the IMC rating when on holiday..

David