Stupid Americans! -- Stupid... Stupid... STUPID!!! __________-+__ ihuvpe

Old November 10th 04, 04:58 AM
Jim Carriere

Morgans wrote:
I have yet to find a foreign car that is designed to be more easy to work on
than a GM, in ordinary maintenance, or major repairs. (after many miles and
years of use) I will not comment on the other American brands, because
unlike you, I will not comment on a subject I am not familiar with.

You must be forgetting about the front wheel drive GM V6 cars where
you have to remove an engine mount and partially lift up the engine
to change spark plugs. This ordinary maintenance is extraordinary!

Not to completely contradict you. I drive a Euro-snob car, and after
my own experience and reviewing those of owners of similar models, it
seems that Robert Bosch forgot how to build reliable electrical
components for a few years in the late 1990s.

I certainly don't know anything, but I feel safe stating that every
car company has come out with some pretty terrible stuff over the years.

Now what did this have to do with aviation? Choose wisely your ride
to the airport

Old November 10th 04, 05:21 AM
Morgans

"Jim Carriere" wrote in message
Morgans wrote:
I have yet to find a foreign car that is designed to be more easy to

work on
than a GM, in ordinary maintenance, or major repairs. (after many miles

and
years of use) I will not comment on the other American brands, because
unlike you, I will not comment on a subject I am not familiar with.

You must be forgetting about the front wheel drive GM V6 cars where
you have to remove an engine mount and partially lift up the engine
to change spark plugs. This ordinary maintenance is extraordinary!

Agreed. That was never intended as a V-6, then someone got the idea that
they could fit a V-6 in with a shoehorn. I had the 4 cylinder, manual
tranny of that line, 1st model year of the first GM front wheel drive, and
it was the most trouble free vehicle I ever owned. I beat it, and couldn't
kill it. If they offered the exact same car, new, today, I would buy one in
a heartbeat.

Not to completely contradict you. I drive a Euro-snob car, and after
my own experience and reviewing those of owners of similar models, it
seems that Robert Bosch forgot how to build reliable electrical
components for a few years in the late 1990s.

I certainly don't know anything, but I feel safe stating that every
car company has come out with some pretty terrible stuff over the years.

Agreed on that one, too.

Now what did this have to do with aviation? Choose wisely your ride
to the airport

True, nothing on topic, but I can not help commenting, when someone starts
American car bashing. The auto industry helps drive our economy. 1 in 10
jobs auto related, as I recall seeing. We would do well, as a country, to
support our own auto industry.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old November 10th 04, 08:03 AM
Roger

Morgans wrote:
[...]

Nothing new. I had a 62 Boneville Convertible that had to be raised
on a hoist, then a 4 X 4 set under the suspension of the left front
wheel. The car was then lowered about a foot. That was the only way
you could get the oil filter out.

My Neighbor has a 2 year old small Pontiac (think it's a Grand Am)
that requires lifting the engine to change plugs.

On my TA they put the electronic ignition down on the bottom of the
engine. Drive through much water and you had to replace the thing.
$850.

OTOH a friend purchased a Beamer a couple years back and he said it
spent more time being worked on than on the road.

Virtually all makes and models have a lemon from time-to-time.

Today's cars are probably the best built since they started making
cars (here or there)

BTW, my wife has a little Chrysler mini-mini van. It should turn over
200,000 miles this month. Nary a major problem, but it's beginning to
show its age.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old November 10th 04, 12:50 PM
Corky Scott

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 19:02:39 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

I have yet to find a foreign car that is designed to be more easy to work on
than a GM, in ordinary maintenance, or major repairs. (after many miles and
years of use) I will not comment on the other American brands, because
unlike you, I will not comment on a subject I am not familiar with.

In another life, I was an auto mechanic. The dealer I worked for sold
Chryslers, Mazdas and Subarus. The Chryslers would tear you up. All
the engine compartment sheet metal was turned UP so the sharp edges
were ready to grab you. Popping loose a tough nut was tantamount to a
blood sacrifice. Same thing under the dash.

The first Subaru's came out and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.
All the sheet metal was turned under, my cuts and scratches began to
heal! The starter sat right up on top of the engine! You could get
to it by just leaning in a bit. Everything on those early engines was
easy to get to, which was a good thing as we seemed to need to get to
them frequently.

The engine could be popped out in 15 minutes. Our record was 12
minutes. When we removed them, we just paired up. One guy to each
side. We'd lean down, grab the exhaust system which looped out the
front and rear of each cylinderhead (flat four like a water cooled
VW), yank back and forth then move it forward and lift it out of the
engine compartment. Piece of cake.

They aren't like that anymore, but they don't require removing all the
time anymore either.

Corky Scott
Old November 10th 04, 04:55 PM
Roger

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 07:50:10 -0500, Corky Scott
wrote:

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 19:02:39 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

snip
In another life, I was an auto mechanic. The dealer I worked for sold
Chryslers, Mazdas and Subarus. The Chryslers would tear you up. All
the engine compartment sheet metal was turned UP so the sharp edges
were ready to grab you. Popping loose a tough nut was tantamount to a
blood sacrifice. Same thing under the dash.

I had one of those. Dodge Shelby.
It got to the point where I was almost afraid to open the hood.:-))
They apparently used the same length, metal taping screws nearly
every where.

Old November 10th 04, 05:01 PM
geo

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Richard,

Also Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, Leatherman multi-tools and Patagonia.

Here's a list of outdoor recreation companies that endorsed Kerry....

Great idea. "Don't buy from Kerry supporters". Just like "Don't buy
from Jews". Now, where again did that lead?

The idiocy in this group has reached new heights...

Maybe they're all from Mississippi.

Old November 10th 04, 08:59 PM
Roger

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:01:10 GMT, "geo" wrote:

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Richard,

Also Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, Leatherman multi-tools and Patagonia.

Here's a list of outdoor recreation companies that endorsed Kerry....

Great idea. "Don't buy from Kerry supporters". Just like "Don't buy
from Jews". Now, where again did that lead?

The idiocy in this group has reached new heights...

Maybe they're all from Mississippi.

Hey! You guys are off topic. We were talking about cars:-))

Old November 12th 04, 12:05 PM
Barnyard BOb -

I have yet to find a foreign car that is designed to be more easy to work on
than a GM, in ordinary maintenance, or major repairs. (after many miles and
years of use) - Morgans

CORVAIR.

GM.

Unsafe @ Any Speed...

but, easy to work on.

Hmmmm.
If you say so, Jim. g

Barnyard BOb -
Old November 12th 04, 12:26 PM
Jerry Springer

Barnyard BOb - wrote:
I have yet to find a foreign car that is designed to be more easy to work on
than a GM, in ordinary maintenance, or major repairs. (after many miles and
years of use) - Morgans

CORVAIR.

GM.

Unsafe @ Any Speed...

but, easy to work on.

Hmmmm.
If you say so, Jim. g

Barnyard BOb -

Noting easier to work on than my 1967 Camaro. :-) BTW Nader ruined the
reputation of a neat little car with his stupid book. He was as stupid
about that as he was thinking he could become president.

Jerry