Holiday plans?

Old November 19th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_3_]

Default Holiday plans?

Why would any self respecting male voluntarily go to any mall, let alone one
during the holiday rush?

Old November 19th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Viperdoc" wrote:

Why would any self respecting male voluntarily go to any mall, let alone
one during the holiday rush?

Amen.

Xmas shopping? That's what the web's for.

--
Dan

"Almost all the matter that came out of the Big Bang was two specific sorts;
hydrogen, and stupidity."

-Robert Carnegie in talk.origins

Old November 19th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
Flying to Houston to see the folks.

Haven't made up my mind if I'll land at Sugar Land or Hobby. Hobby is
closer to Mom's and has more ILS approaches, but Sugar Land has fewer

ground
hassles and spam cans don't get vectors all over the county to get there.

I used to have my plane based out of Hobby... It's not that bad of an
airport for GA... I was based over on the south side of the airport at
FletchAir and it was usually a short taxi to a midfield 12R (at Kilo) or 04
(at Juliet) for takeoff... Landings usually ended with a turnoff at Kilo
from 12R or 12L, from Hotel on 18/35, or from Juliet or Mike on 04/22... The
way the weather has been lately, you probably won't need an ILS approach
anyway...

Traffic near SGR sucks due to road construction if you are heading south on
TX-6... Seems that there always is a train at the intersection of TX-6 and
US-90 every time I go that way... Another option might be AXH... I base my
plane there... There's also Manvel (nice grass strip) and Pearland... If you
are renting a car, some of the airports are going to be easier to arrange
that at than others...

Old November 19th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:30:18 GMT, Viperdoc wrote:

Why would any self respecting male voluntarily go to any mall, let alone one
during the holiday rush?

'cause there is an Apple Store?

#m
--
Enemy Combatant http://itsnotallbad.com/
Old November 19th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:30:18 +0000, Viperdoc wrote:
Why would any self respecting male voluntarily go to any mall, let alone one
during the holiday rush?

The key word here is "voluntarily", of course... What I've found that
works for me is to make a trip out of it to one of the outlet malls
instead... I'll sit in my vehicle with my laptop... I'll either work on
something that I would have been doing at the house, or I'll find an open
WiFi connection and connect to the internet... Grace and Kaitlyn will shop
and periodically they will give me a call to pick up the things that they
have purchased... I don't have to walk around stores that I have no desire
to even be in nor do I end up having to carry a bunch of packages / bags
that they have bought... I'm so good at it that they actually think that
I'm being *considerate*... Damn, do I have them fooled... evil-grin

--
"Is it possible for the voices in my head to use email from now on?"

Old November 20th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Martin Hotze wrote:

Why would any self respecting male voluntarily go to any mall, let alone one
during the holiday rush?

'cause there is an Apple Store?

excellent point!

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old November 20th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Grumman-581" wrote:

[...]

Cheapest fuel at HOU: $4.22. Fuel at SGR: $3.58.

Even when I cancel IFR early, I always get a bunch of vectors going into
HOU. And at Wilson (used to be Fletcher), there's only one choice of rent
car companies and security gates to deal with.

Going into SGR, I can take a pretty straight shot VFR under the south shelf
of the Class B. SGR has any kind of rent car you want and it's easy to
drive out of.

That Hwy 6 traffic can be tough, though.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old November 20th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

Eye candy. Pure and simple. "you have fun shopping hun, I'll just sit here
in this massage chair and watch the girls walk by, er' I mean take a nap
until you get back."
Jim

. com...

Old November 20th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 18:45:59 -0600, "Dan Luke"
wrote:
Cheapest fuel at HOU: $4.22. Fuel at SGR: $3.58.

Where you flying in from and what part of town are you heading
towards? If I'm flying in from the NE, I usually refuel over at
Anahuac (T00) -- current price for 100LL of $2.97... If your
destination is more towards the south of Houston, Brazoria Country /
Angleton (LBX) might even be an option with fuel at $2.99...

Even when I cancel IFR early, I always get a bunch of vectors going into
HOU. And at Wilson (used to be Fletcher), there's only one choice of rent
car companies and security gates to deal with.

I haven't been there since Fletcher sold out, but back when I used to
be based there, I could just walk through the hangar with my gear
(including a shotgun) and no one would bother me... I also had the
combination for the side gate in case no one was in the front office
to unlock the front door after hours...

Going into SGR, I can take a pretty straight shot VFR under the south shelf
of the Class B. SGR has any kind of rent car you want and it's easy to
drive out of.

As always, you have to make compromises on convenience and cost...
Since you say that you are flying straight across south side of the
Class B, that must mean that you're coming in from the east, possibly
somewhere else along the Gulf Coast... There are probably better
airports for your intended destination, but they might not have rental
cars available at that airport... Personally, if I'm over on the east
side of the Houston area, I try to fill up at T00 or T90... T90 often
has cheaper fuel than T00, but they don't update their prices on
AirNav that often... Hell, if you look at the Chambers County web
page, you'll see that the last time they updated those prices was back
on 5/16/2003...
http://www.co.chambers.tx.us/offices/airport.html
They don't have anyone over at T90 right now, but I called T00 and
they said that the county has the prices the same at both airports at
the present time...
Old November 20th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Clonts

Jim Burns wrote:
Any plans on flying somewhere for the holidays?
Jim

20 minute flight over to visit my parents on Lake LBJ.
www.airnav.com/airport/44te

Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas