BREAKING NEWS: Simulated FAA pulls MXSMANIC'S simulated license

Old November 26th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Chris W

Default BREAKING NEWS: Simulated FAA pulls MXSMANIC'S simulated license

Jay Honeck wrote:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1523514E

That thing makes my Kiwi look like a Lite Brite...and I'll bet it cost
more than a real plane.

Not only that the same effect can be achieved with one computer, one
monitor, and a $100 head tracking device.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

"Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm"

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com
Old November 26th 06, 10:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 17:35:37 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:

Coke bottle. That stunt with the runaway Jeep was
priceless.

There were places in that film where I laughed so hard I had to turn
away so I could get my breath. I haven't seen it recently and I think
it was one of those low budget films, but it was worth every cent. If
It comes on again I'm going to save it on the computer. I have a
second DISH receiver that feeds a HD tuner in the shop computer.
I do have the 622 Dual tuner DVR in here but that thing is running all
the time.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old November 26th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Not only that the same effect can be achieved with one computer, one
monitor, and a $100 head tracking device.

I take it you've tried one of those things, Chris? How 'bout a PIREP?
I've looked at them, and been intrigued...

For those who don't know what we're talking about, Chris is referring
to a motion-sensing device that clips to the brim of your hat. When
flying a flight sim, this device makes the screen move accordingly
whenever you turn your head, up, down, forward, or back.
(Eliminating the need to use the thumb cap to change views when you
want to "look" out the side window on downwind, for example.)

What I don't undertand it how you can turn your head left, let's say,
without losing sight of the screen, which is still in front of you?
They must somehow make the screen movements disproportionately larger,
to prevent this problem, right? But then I would think that it would
be very disconcerting, moving a little yet moving a LOT? Or do you
get used to it?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 26th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Funniest movies ever made...

USED CARS
BEST of TIMES

The GODS Must Be Crazy

The Brothers O'Toole

Don't remember the title, but Art Bell's weather disaster
movie from a few years ago.

Old November 26th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"Jay Honeck" wrote in news:1164548329.829216.307360
@l39g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

For those who don't know what we're talking about, Chris is referring
to a motion-sensing device that clips to the brim of your hat. When
flying a flight sim, this device makes the screen move accordingly
whenever you turn your head, up, down, forward, or back.
(Eliminating the need to use the thumb cap to change views when you
want to "look" out the side window on downwind, for example.)

A sim-HUD! Sounds cool....

What I don't undertand it how you can turn your head left, let's say,
without losing sight of the screen, which is still in front of you?
They must somehow make the screen movements disproportionately larger,
to prevent this problem, right? But then I would think that it would
be very disconcerting, moving a little yet moving a LOT? Or do you
get used to it?

Unless he is referring to one of the VR visors, where the display is part
of the visor...

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 26th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
CRaSH

Jay Honeck wrote:

What I don't undertand it how you can turn your head left, let's say,
without losing sight of the screen, which is still in front of you?
They must somehow make the screen movements disproportionately larger,
to prevent this problem, right? But then I would think that it would
be very disconcerting, moving a little yet moving a LOT? Or do you
get used to it?

You can adjust the ratio of actual movement vs. screen view movement,
whereas 10º head movement might translate to a 45º movement on screen. They
have quite an elaborate calibration program for the individual users. I
tried one, but sent it back for a full refund after a few days - didn't care
for the feeling my head was stuck in traction to prevent any unwanted
wiggles on screen, plus if I reached for something like coffee, ah yeah,
coffee (or some other libation , things really went beserk.. Not to
mention I felt like a retard sitting in front of the computer with a hat on,
armed with reflectors.. d:-))

Old November 26th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

What I don't undertand it how you can turn your head left, let's say,
without losing sight of the screen, which is still in front of you?
They must somehow make the screen movements disproportionately larger,
to prevent this problem, right? But then I would think that it would
be very disconcerting, moving a little yet moving a LOT?

Actually, it's quite surprisingly natural. I have never used the device
in question, but I did try moving my head a little while manually
pushing the buttons to change views. It's amazing what a difference
that little head movement makes in realism. When I just change views,
I'm seeing the side window in front of me. But when I move my head a
little at the same time I push the button, I'm looking out the side,
even though the screen is still pretty much in front of me.

Try it.

Jose
--
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).
Old November 26th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Chris W

Jay Honeck wrote:
Not only that the same effect can be achieved with one computer, one
monitor, and a $100 head tracking device.

I take it you've tried one of those things, Chris? How 'bout a PIREP?
I've looked at them, and been intrigued...

Yes I have one Jay. Until I found out about it, I had virtually no
interest in the flight simulators. My brother found it and showed me
the video demos on their web site so I had to try it. As far as I am
concerned the improvement is greater than that achieved by better
graphics.

For those who don't know what we're talking about, Chris is referring
to a motion-sensing device that clips to the brim of your hat. When
flying a flight sim, this device makes the screen move accordingly
whenever you turn your head, up, down, forward, or back.
(Eliminating the need to use the thumb cap to change views when you
want to "look" out the side window on downwind, for example.)

it's not really motion sensing. It consists of an IR camera and some IR
LEDs that you mount over your monitor and they pick up a little dot
sticker that you have to have on your hat. With this version, any
movement of the dot in the cameras view gets translated into your head
rotating left and right or tilting up and down. They have a more
sophisticated version that has 3 different reflective surfaces you clip
on your hat for a full 6 degrees of freedom. It will sense you moving
your head left and right up and down and in and out, as well as tilting
up and down, rotating left and right and rolling side to side. A friend
of mine has the more advanced version and he says he has the turn off
the rolling feature because it just gets to confusing when the airplane,
your view, and the horizon are all at different angles.

What I don't undertand it how you can turn your head left, let's say,
without losing sight of the screen, which is still in front of you?
They must somehow make the screen movements disproportionately larger,
to prevent this problem, right? But then I would think that it would
be very disconcerting, moving a little yet moving a LOT? Or do you
get used to it?

It does take getting used to, the first 3 or 4 times it gave me a head
ache but all was good after that. It is set up to exaggerate your head
movements, the amount of exaggeration can be adjusted for each type of
movement. For me if my real head is pointing to the very edge of my
monitor, the game head is looking 180 degrees straight back. With up
and down it is about 90 degrees with my head facing the top edge of the
monitor. You obviously do end up moving your eyes the opposite
direction you are moving your head but it ends up being very natural.
In fast at first it almost seems like you can turn the plane just by
looking where you want to go. Not true of course but it is amazing how
much easier it makes lining up with the runway and flying the pattern.

CRASH, said he sent it back because he had to hold his head too still to
prevent it from moving the view too much. This can be adjusted so the
there is a center null position. Also if you turn your head away to
look at the keyboard or something else away from the screen, I wouldn't
say it goes crazy, it just looks at some obscure position until you put
your head back where it was. If you have problems getting it to stay
centered, I recommend using a chair that doesn't swivel. Also you can
reset the view at any time by looking straight at the monitor and
hitting the F12 key. That is kind of a calibration tool because you
don't always sit in exactly the same spot every time.

you can check out the one I have here

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

It works well with car sims too, although I have never tried it with
those my self.

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 26th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

you can check out the one I have here

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

Very cool. Of course, the cheaper version is "out of stock"...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 27th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
fromTheShadows[_3_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
you can check out the one I have here

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

Very cool. Of course, the cheaper version is "out of stock"...

Forget the cheap version, get the full "6 degrees of freedom" - you
really won't regret it. I found that the head movement was completely
intuitive, and much less of a problem that I thought it might be. With
the 6DOF you can also lean forward to get a better look at the
instrument panel, or lean sideways and look downwards out of the side
windows for sightseeing. Of course if you lean too far your head will be
out of the cockpit, but its a lot less windy in the sim. :-)