Most reliable homebuilt helicopter?

Old September 8th 05, 06:51 PM

For a long time I drove by Rotorway in Chandler, AZ daily and would see
them flying all the time. I'd also see them at most of the AZ fly-ins.
No direct experience but from what I've seen and heard they are
towards "less peril" end of the scale.

Michele

Old September 8th 05, 07:35 PM
Flyingmonk

I like to add UltraSport, Dynali, and CH-7 and the Kompress to that
list. mini500 at bottom of list followed by G-1.

Old September 8th 05, 07:53 PM
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

PittsS1C wrote:

Why can't people just answer the question if they know or be quiet if they
don't...

Those of us discussing fetters DO know and we were telling you so.
His helicopter was quite dangerous. I will tell you from my years of
working on military helicopters ranging from UH-1P to MH-60G that
constant expert maintenance is required for safe flight. This means
everything from the Jesus nut to the landing gear has to be constantly
eyeballed.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old September 8th 05, 07:54 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

Where is there any purchase info on the CH-7 & Kompress? The EAA site points
to Lanceair.com but I couldn't find anything there even with an internal
Google search.

oups.com...

Old September 8th 05, 08:10 PM
Flyingmonk

I don't know either, last time I saw anything about them was on the
SHnPGIE webpage by Glen Ryerson in PA.

Oh I'd also like to add acouple mo

The Masquito UL in Europe,
The Moquito in Cananda,
and the Dragonfly in Italy.

Old September 8th 05, 08:14 PM
Flyingmonk

I observed Gil Armbruster building his mini500 from the day he wrote
his deposit check to the day that I went out looking for him and I
attended his funeral. I usually stop by his hanger after my flights
and shoot the breeze with him. I helped him with the doors for it too!
Boy I sure mis him. I just go to the Hanger just to say Hi to him in
my own way.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Old September 8th 05, 09:52 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Morgans" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
For a long time I drove by Rotorway in Chandler, AZ daily and would see
them flying all the time. I'd also see them at most of the AZ fly-ins.
No direct experience but from what I've seen and heard they are
towards "less peril" end of the scale.

One thing for the OP to remember, is that the rotoway has an airframe
total
life of 1500 hours. After that, the airframe is junk. I don't know about
the safari.
--
Jim in NC

The Rotorways seem to be the best designed kit helicopters, but I think
"Best kit helicopter" goes in the same category as "friendliest NAZI". The
guys in the hangar next door to me have built, bought, converted, sold,
and/or owned 5 Rotorways, and all total, I've seen the skids off the ground
probably 10 minutes or less. They used to trailer them to fly-in's under 50
miles away.

KB

Old September 8th 05, 09:56 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

"Morgans" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If this is true, and it may well be, how do they keep selling the things?

Old September 8th 05, 11:03 PM
Flyingmonk

Jim wrote:
One thing for the OP to remember, is that the rotoway has an airframe total
life of 1500 hours. After that, the airframe is junk.

If a homebuilt is registered as "Homer162" or "JiminNC162f" as the
manufacturer, I don't understand how a 1,500hr airframe limit is gonna
be enforcable. The Rotorways are not considered the manufacturer's but
parts suppliers intead. Anyways, not many of them have more than
300hrs total and 80%+- of that 300 hrs is hovering and testing time
anyways, from what I hear.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone