L45 to remain open

Old September 24th 06, 08:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto

Default L45 to remain open

RomeoMike wrote:

But with regard to Meigs, most Americans don't like dictatorial
decision making, particularly when done in the secretive, sneaky way
that Meigs was closed. Those of us who had the opportunity of using
Meigs miss it, and we don't forget because we don't want more GA
friendly airports suffering the same end.

Agreed, and well said. In fact, the following definitely stems
from Daley getting slapped by the FAA for what he did with Meigs.

http://tinyurl.com/p39zw

FAA: Bakersfield Airport WILL Remain Open

Fri, 22 Sep '06
City Had Petitioned For Closure, Redevelopment

One gets the feeling that ever since the March 2003 "emergency" closure
of Meigs Field by Chicago mayor Richard Daley, the FAA is a bit
sensitive to other cities taking it upon themselves to decide whether
an airport is necessary or not. Take Bakersfield, CA as an example.

Wishing to redevelop the land currently occupied by Bakersfield
Municipal Airport (L45) for "mixed use" purposes, city leaders asked
the FAA to release it from its obligations to the airport. Bakersfield
claimed the airport was underused, unsafe, and too expensive for the
city to maintain.

The mayor also told the FAA that other airports could accommodate L45's
30,000 annual takeoffs and landings and its 100 based aircraft.

The FAA's response? An emphatic "no."

"L45 continues to serve the purpose for which it was created and its
loss would be a substantial detriment to civil aviation interests of
the region, state, or the national system of airports," wrote the FAA's
acting Associate Administrator for Airports Catherine Lang.

The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association adds that in a 10-page
response to Bakersfield's request, Lang batted down every argument the
city advanced for closures and made it very clear that a contract is a
contract.

AOPA had asked the FAA to stand firm when the city formalized its
closure request.

"The FAA truly supported AOPA and general aviation pilots on this
airport," said AOPA President Phil Boyer. "And we greatly appreciate
the agency's determined efforts across the nation to not only prevent
airport closure, but to continue to improve the network of reliever and
GA airports that are such an important part of our national
transportation system."

It appears that, for now at least, Bakersfield got the message. "At
this point in time, I think it's pretty clear from the FAA's point of
view that the answer is no," said the City of Bakersfield spokesperson
Rhonda Smiley to KGET-17.

One airport tenant adds that despite the city's efforts to stymie
growth at the airport, Bakersfield Municipal has managed to continue
on.

"I think they've been slapped pretty hard on this one," said airport
business owner John Harmon. "They've been told a number of times, 'pay
attention to what we're telling you. We don't close airports.' If it's
a lemon to you, squeeze it, make lemon juice. The airport will
survive."

The FAA also says the city's figures show Bakersfield has managed to
profit from that "lemon juice" -- while also noting the city
discourages aeronautical development.

"The city's own 'Summary of Actual Revenues and Expenditures' shows
that since 1994-95, the city has operated the airport with a surplus
averaging $42,000 a year," Lang pointed out.

"Consistent with federal obligations, 'the highest and best use of the
land' is that it remain as an airport," Lang added.

To which AOPA's Boyer added, "Amen."

BL.
- --
Brad Littlejohn | Email:
Unix Systems Administrator, |

Web + NewsMaster, BOFH.. Smeghead! |
http://www.wizard.com/~tyketto

Hurricane relief Dave Stadt Piloting 94 September 8th 05 07:02 PM
Hurricane relief Gary Drescher Instrument Flight Rules 51 September 8th 05 03:33 AM
Australian Nationals Results Mal Soaring 4 October 17th 04 12:08 AM
Open Letter to Kofi Annan and George Walker Bush Matt Wiser Military Aviation 2 March 12th 04 04:05 PM
when does a "remain clear" instruction end? Arden Prinz Piloting 171 March 2nd 04 12:26 AM