Mechanics of Elevator Trim. In Detail.

Old June 9th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Le Chaud Lapin

Default Mechanics of Elevator Trim. In Detail.

On Jun 9, 1:19*pm, Gig 601Xl Builder
wrote:
Le Chaud Lapin wrote:
MSFS was the means by which I discovered the mechanism.

If I had learned in actual aircraft, the question still would have
been relevant.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

You never learned of trim until MSFS and you are going to design an
airplane. Fabulous!

Is it really necessary to understand the particular way it was done in
C172 to achieve the same result?

The same thing could be achieved using more electronics, less
mechanics, and the controls might be entirely different.

-Le Chaud Lapin-
Old June 9th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
More_Flaps

On Jun 10, 4:34*am, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:
On Jun 9, 10:58*am, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

On Jun 8, 10:20*am, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:

On Jun 8, 11:07*am, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
For sake of those of us who only own MSFS, let's say a C172.

What does MSFS have to do with anything. This is a pilot news group,
not sim. There are sim groups out there that would be more appropriate
for your question.

MSFS was the means by which I discovered the mechanism.

If I had learned in actual aircraft, the question still would have
been relevant.

And now all is clear.

Cheers
Old June 9th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

wrote:
Le Chaud Lapin wrote:
MSFS was the means by which I discovered the mechanism.
If I had learned in actual aircraft, the question still would have
been relevant.
-Le Chaud Lapin-

You never learned of trim until MSFS and you are going to design an
airplane. Fabulous!

Is it really necessary to understand the particular way it was done in
C172 to achieve the same result?

The same thing could be achieved using more electronics, less
mechanics, and the controls might be entirely different.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Not knowing about trim by someone who thinks they are going to design an
airplane is like someone who wants to be an electrician and doesn't
understand the difference in AC and DC.

It's just another example that you have no business trying to design an
aircraft.
Old June 9th 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Le Chaud Lapin

On Jun 9, 3:30*pm, Gig 601Xl Builder
wrote:
Not knowing about trim by someone who thinks they are going to design an
airplane is like someone who wants to be an electrician and doesn't
understand the difference in AC and DC.

It's just another example that you have no business trying to design an
aircraft.

This is a false analogy.

It depends on what is meant by "knowing about trim". The purpose of
trim is clear, and the objective of trim can be achieved in many
ways.

It is not necessary to know all the ways that the objective of trim
can be achieved in order to implement just one mechanism that achieves
the objective.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Old June 10th 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 9, 11:31*am, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:
On Jun 9, 1:06*pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

I think if the book said more about how it worked, there would be no
misunderstanding.

I think if you walked up to an actual airplane there would be no
misunderstanding.

-Robert
Old June 10th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Le Chaud Lapin

On Jun 9, 6:19*pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Jun 9, 11:31*am, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:

On Jun 9, 1:06*pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
I think if the book said more about how it worked, there would be no
misunderstanding.

I think if you walked up to an actual airplane there would be no
misunderstanding.

My first experience with trim control was neither with a book or a
plane, but with the instructor. I think there are a lot of things
that students are assumed to know that they do not, which can be
frustrating, as there is no difficult in the concepts, but the
ommission of facts, which hurts more than helps. It is the
instructor's choice to determine how deep s/he should delve into the
mechanics of flight.

One instructor might say, "Move trim wheel up or down to relieve
pressure on yoke."

Another might say, "Trim wheel is connected to a trim tab on elevator,
often located on one side of elevator only, and air moving across
elevator results in aerodynamic force vector on tab that acts on
elevator to position elevator so that point of equilibrium is reached,
and such force being sufficient that you no longer need the yoke to
position the elevator. As you can imagine, speed and orientation of
aircraft will have some effect on force...and therefore position of
elevator. Also, if only one tab, force applies asymetrically to
aircraft...etc."

Both these explanations are true, but one of them eliminates the need
for $30 product (or $30,000 aircraft) to know what is going on.

-Le Chaud Lapin-
Old June 10th 08, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 9, 8:18*pm, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:

Both these explanations are true, but one of them eliminates the need
for $30 product (or $30,000 aircraft) to know what is going on.

I find that its pretty difficult to teach students to fly without the
aircraft.

-Robert, CFII
Old June 10th 08, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Le Chaud Lapin

On Jun 9, 10:48*pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Jun 9, 8:18*pm, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:

Both these explanations are true, but one of them eliminates the need
for $30 product (or $30,000 aircraft) to know what is going on.

I find that its pretty difficult to teach students to fly without the
aircraft.

That brings us full-circle to a theme that was mildly explored in
another post - what utility, if any, is there in using a simulator to
learn things that do not require actual flying.

So here the question would be whether it is possible to understand how
a trim tab works without ever having flown an aircraft.

I have flown in DA-20 and Tomahawk, but I do not think actual flight
would have been necessary to understand how trim tab works.

-Le Chaud Lapin-
Old June 10th 08, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Le Chaud Lapin" wrote in message

Another might say, "Trim wheel is connected to a trim tab on elevator,
often located on one side of elevator only, and air moving across
elevator results in aerodynamic force vector on tab that acts on
elevator to position elevator so that point of equilibrium is reached,
and such force being sufficient that you no longer need the yoke to
position the elevator. As you can imagine, speed and orientation of
aircraft will have some effect on force...and therefore position of
elevator. Also, if only one tab, force applies asymetrically to
aircraft...etc."

I'm glad I wasn't there the day he introduced the radio.

Old June 10th 08, 06:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

Lost and Found

Found:

To the village that has lost its idiot: we've found him.

F-100 detail Pjmac35 Aviation Photos 0 July 26th 07 10:29 AM
Finding "Neutral" Position on Piper Elevator/Trim Tab [email protected] Owning 10 December 7th 06 02:43 PM
Detail pops in too late in FS2004 CatharticF1 Simulators 0 August 27th 03 03:25 AM