Accident at Szeged WGC

Old July 30th 10, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ppp1

Default Accident at Szeged WGC

This looks very bad. Pilot ok, but the truck driver in critical
condition.

http://picasaweb.google.com/itb.pano...SzegedHungary#
Old July 30th 10, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
R. Schierbeek

"ppp1" wrote
This looks very bad. Pilot ok, but the truck driver in critical condition.

http://picasaweb.google.com/itb.pano...SzegedHungary#

Accident at Szeged WGC

A glider came in so low that it hit a truck or bus on the road that runs outside the airport fence. The glider then
cart-wheeled into the fence which is wire mesh between massive 10 ft high concrete posts with barbed wire on top.
Everything on the glider was broken - wings and fuselage, except the cockpit.

We later learned that the pilot apparently was not badly injured however the driver of the truck is in serious
condition.

Old July 30th 10, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

Am 30.07.10 16:46, schrieb R. Schierbeek:
A glider came in so low that it hit a truck or bus on the road that runs
outside the airport fence. The glider then cart-wheeled into the fence
which is wire mesh between massive 10 ft high concrete posts with barbed
wire on top. Everything on the glider was broken - wings and fuselage,
except the cockpit.

We later learned that the pilot apparently was not badly injured however
the driver of the truck is in serious condition.

Note the priorities:

1. The Glider has been broken
2. The Pilot is ok.
3. Oh, yeah, the truck driver. I nearly forgot. He is seriously injured
and will possibly lose an eye.
Old July 30th 10, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

On Jul 30, 7:46*am, "R. Schierbeek" wrote:
"ppp1" wrote

This looks very bad. Pilot ok, but the truck driver in critical condition.

http://picasaweb.google.com/itb.pano...rashSzegedHung...

Accident at Szeged WGC

A glider came in so low that it hit a truck or bus on the road that runs outside the airport fence. The glider then
cart-wheeled into the fence which is wire mesh between massive 10 ft high concrete posts with barbed wire on top.
Everything on the glider was broken - wings and fuselage, except the cockpit.

We later learned that the pilot apparently was not badly injured however the driver of the truck is in serious
condition.

Hauntingly similar to the Hawker collision.
Old July 30th 10, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Hauntingly similar to the Hawker collision.

How so?
Old July 30th 10, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Jul 30, 8:51*am, Tony wrote:
Hauntingly similar to the Hawker collision.

How so?

This accident is anything but similar to any accident I ever heard
off...

Ramy
Old July 30th 10, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jul 30, 12:43*pm, Ramy wrote:
On Jul 30, 8:51*am, Tony wrote:

Hauntingly similar to the Hawker collision.

How so?

This accident is anything but similar to any accident I ever heard
off...

Ramy

I does have something in common with the fatal accident in the Jr
Worlds in the UK a few years ago.
That commonality is direct finishes flown over places where people ,
and in this case vehicles, are.
It's all fine till you don't have quite enough energy, or you go too
low, then it is a big time event quickly.
We can only hope the driver comes out OK.
Boring cylinder finishes anyone?
UH
Old July 30th 10, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Definitely not fun & games anymore.
Old July 30th 10, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:01:41 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Boring cylinder finishes anyone?

Already being used at the WGC since today.

Best wishes for the truck driver
Andreas

Bye
Andreas
Old July 30th 10, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Herb

wrote:

Boring cylinder finishes anyone?

Already being used at the WGC since today.

Best wishes for the truck driver
Andreas

Bye
Andreas

What a completely senseless and preventable accident. Go back and
look at the vicious comments that were made here when BB suggested all
line finishes should be abolished in favor of the 500' and 1 mile
cylinder. Mr. Larson's death should have been enough to quiet the
fans of low and fast. Gliders have no business flying close to the
ground, same for other aircraft. The organizers and the FAI contest
rule committee have a responsibility to protect bystanders and others,
they failed in their duty.
Herb, J7

Few impressions from WWGC 2009 Szeged (HUN) db Soaring 1 August 4th 09 03:01 PM
DA 42 accident Karl-Heinz Kuenzel Piloting 86 April 29th 07 09:05 AM
F6F accident Larry Cauble Naval Aviation 4 October 14th 05 06:19 PM
Accident db? [email protected] Owning 3 July 25th 05 06:22 PM
KC-135 accident Big John Piloting 3 November 19th 03 04:36 PM