Refinishing ASW24

Old September 8th 20, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Neal Alders

Default Refinishing ASW24

I recall UH years ago telling me sanding German sailplane gel coat is like trying to smooth out a piece of jagged granite with wet toilet paper.

Never forgot that one. LOL
Old September 8th 20, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 5:40:31 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have been working on the horizontal stab and the two elevators for the past two weeks. I have never seen such difficult gel coat to remove. I am no rookie at gel coat, have done many boats and a bit of glider repair, but this is a beast to remove. It took me six full days to remove the gel coat from the stab. Just today I did one elevator and will do the other tomorrow..
I am bringing it back up with acrylic urethane, so far so good, just a lot of work and a few drinks of rum. Bob

Scales tell the tell of the removed gelcoat. Before weight of the stab with the elevators removed was 11 pounds 13 .8 oz. after removal of the gel the weight was 10 pounds 12.8 oz or a net loss of 1.lb, are you surprised??
The elevators weighed 1.91 and 1.95 respectfully, left and right. after removal of the gel the weights were 1lb 6.9 oz and 1 lb 7.0 oz. I have completed gel removal on the stab and elevators and are now rebuilding the surfaces. Only used two boxes of band-aids on my fingers and drank two bottles of good Cuban rum.
Old September 9th 20, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Only used two boxes of band-aids on my fingers and drank two bottles of good Cuban rum.

So, can we assume that the R/B ratio of one bottle of rum to one box of Band-Aids can be used as a measure of performance? Try three bottles of rum and report back with the results. If you end up needing a tourniquet, please let us know.
Old September 9th 20, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 9:14:39 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Only used two boxes of band-aids on my fingers and drank two bottles of good Cuban rum.
So, can we assume that the R/B ratio of one bottle of rum to one box of Band-Aids can be used as a measure of performance? Try three bottles of rum and report back with the results. If you end up needing a tourniquet, please let us know.

Mark, the ratio is consistent with the measure of pain! I liken this ordeal to a couple of other projects that I have tackled in the past, I basically said to myself ,"What the hell did I do this for". The tourniquet suggestion is a great idea, not sure that it would stop the flow, but certainly would prolong the suffering.
On to the next step in this ordeal, will be building back up with filler and primer and on to the final coat or two or three of acrylic urethane then sanding down to 3000 grit and buffing, I might need more rum.
Old September 9th 20, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 12:12:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I recall UH years ago telling me sanding German sailplane gel coat is like trying to smooth out a piece of jagged granite with wet toilet paper.

Never forgot that one. LOL

I heard the same thing from the same person over 40 years ago.....I tend to stick to final sanding and polishing.....
Old September 9th 20, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 6:30:53 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

If a low number grit does not easily take off the hard finish use a finer grit until it cuts easily then move to a 80 or 65 grit. An electric grinder with adjustable speed is what I have used. In my opinion an orbital is not needed. Use no pressure on the sander let the paper cut.

http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old September 9th 20, 09:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Roney

Rum? Can`t stand it. It`s like drinking liquid rubber. Why not try a good
Scottish single malt whisky. Your working progress will benefit.

At 02:05 09 September 2020, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
[...]

ould prolong the suffering.=20

=

Old September 9th 20, 12:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, September 9, 2020 at 4:45:06 AM UTC-4, Colin Roney wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the suggestion Colin, I could never forgive myself for drinking Scottish Whiskey, I would be contributing to the Kennedy dynasty and for that I could never forgive myself. Rum is much better, we call it the juice of the Caribbean gods, many a pirate sailed these blue waters while indulging it that fine roasted sugar cane fermented nectar. I will keep your suggestion in mind just in case the rum gets too depleted. Bob
Old September 9th 20, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I think he meant, use the Scotch to strip the gelcoat. That might work...
Old September 9th 20, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Wed, 09 Sep 2020 04:06:05 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Do the Kennedy Clan still have dibs on that post-Prohibition money-
spinner? Enquiring minds want to know.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org