A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Advice for new CFIGs

Old November 9th 18, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Advice for new CFIGs

From a student pilot point of view, paying for Instruction may be a better choice. In my case, I wanted to learn ASAP. The local club (Albuquerque Soaring Club) in Moriarty, NM offered free Instruction. But they only operated on weekends, and sometimes only had one day out of two with an Instructor scheduled. The local Commercial operator and FBO (Sundance Aviation) had Instructors available at least six days a week. I took initial training in January 1999 with Sundance and, being able to fly three or four days a week, soloed in a G-103 after 34 flights. It took a total of 13 days of Instruction, including Ground School, and was accomplished in less than a month. I had one Instructor throughout the course.

Free Instruction through the ASC, using these figures, would have taken place over 13 weeks, I would have had at least four different Instructors and I would have been forced to take training in the SGS 2-33, which I wanted to avoid at all costs.

End result: I bought my own sailplane and started soaring almost immediately, whereas I would have probably spent many more months in the 2-33, then a transition to the G-103, and eventually my own glider. I figure going commercial and paying for Instruction, as well as the higher hourly rate on the aircraft, saved me about a year and ended costing about the same dollarwise.

YMMV
Old November 9th 18, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Funny. I forgot I do get paid to teach. My club credits 2 bucks a flight. 3 days of instructing or so adds up to a free tow. Easy to forget about as you never see the money it just takes a bit off the tow bill. One could argue that low pay is more de-motivational than no pay. 2 dollars I want my 2 dollars.
Old November 9th 18, 12:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

Virtually all gliding clubs in the UK are member owned and operated and are not commercial. Ab initio training is always given for free - and is available 7 days a week at the larger clubs - in my club in K21s of which we own 7.

I guess this difference between UK and US parallels other cultural differences.

But power flying operations are almost or all commercial and I never resented paying for flight instruction.
Old November 10th 18, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I got my CFIG this spring. I spent a bunch of money to get it, so now I can instruct for free. And I’d do it again. For several reasons:

1. Instructing is lots more fun than any other club duty.
2. I learned a bunch of useful stuff in the process. Not just flying stuff. All that FOI comes in handy when you’re trying to train new engineers (or old managers).
3. It’s fun watching students get the hang of following the tow plane, landing, etc.

Go ahead and finish up your CFIG. You’ll be glad you did,
Old November 10th 18, 07:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 2:05:29 PM UTC-8, wrote:

snip Why do so few people seem to want to do this?

Lots of possibilities - mostly blended, seldom voiced - as follow:

Liability. If a student is later killed, the family may come back at you.
You may be named in the process of simply forcing an insurance settlement. That is emotionally and maybe financially an impact.

Expense too acquire and retain certification. But you're already there.
Time Commitment for back office, prep, ground schooling, logbooks, lesson prep if you are really doing a good job for continuity for your flyers. Time availability if sole or principal provider to an organization.

Lack of clarity in role in organization, lack of curriculum or consensus on curriculum and standards, if multiple CFIs.

Lack of sense of "payback", whether that is cash, club credits, social recognition, student advancement, or student "valuation" of your time invested.

Lack of clarity of process to become a CFIG. For a long while, it has been difficult to find a DPE or Inspector who was qualified or allowed to do CFIG checkrides. That should be resolved with the recent erosion of FSDO district lines.

Lack of confidence of teaching ability in candidates.

snip or have problems with the instructional organizational model we are using.

We can use straight traditional flight and ground training.
We can use simulator training to a great advantage with traditional programs.
I've had students arrive with logged simulator time and they progress rapidly.
This requires coordination between simulator trainer and flight trainer for consistent checklists and expectations/procedures.
There can be huge local resistance to this or any NIH ideas.

Are there best practices out there for growing the next generation of instructors and organizing how they function in the club environment?

In my experience, it is pretty much a localized, insulated culture. There are great instructors who do mentor new teachers. This was a good first outreach. Use whomever you have found on a direct personal basis. The SSA's Club/Chapters newsgroup listing is another resource to find contacts.

What advice should we be giving to those who do step up?

1. You can do it.
2. You don't have to be a World Champ/X-C pilot to teach well.
3. You can limit liability issues with insurance and by doing and documenting a good job of teaching. Make detailed training entries (use more lines, it's only paper). Keep good records. Have a thorough curriculum. (ALL the PTS.)
4. Use whatever technique you need to not burn out. Calendar teaching days, be paid, choose a student from club roster and take that one to rating. Etc.
5. Start simply. Do only the things you are comfortable with and nibble your way into more complex maneuvers. (We all did this.)

6. Before flying with a new student human, have them hold up their thumb. Grasp their thumb like a stick, your fingertips only, wag the thumb around till their wrist gets limp (like wet spaghetti, I say) and grip only as tight as you'd shake hands with your grandmother. Gesture like a glass of chablis pointing to art on the gallery wall, slow-progressive-no sloshing.. That's how they will hold and move a stick. Then tighten your grip--- till smooshing tite and say "No motocross." Like every first flyer wants to strangle the grip. Everybody laughs. Now they know what a grip should be... and invite them to do the same on the real stick. No banging stops, no cement grip. You are now less likely to have some ASEL geek PIO your glider for you. (My advice for you, and any others who read this far.)

7. Use a shirt with a chest pocket. Use a small 3 x 5 spiral notebook that fits your pocket. Make notes between flights about what you did with that student on that tow, and how they did. That's how you remember at day's end what goes in student logs and progress sheets. You can do it digital, if you are that fast on notes on your phone. But my phone never has big enough keys, or bright enough screen. My pencil is faster and can be used sometimes in flight. The pad also makes a handy illustration pad for concepts between flights. Or tear-off no peekie sheets.

8. Don't make up an answer. If you aren't sure, say so, and jointly go find their answer.

9. Make it safe for them to admit they don't know something. If you ask if they read homework, or if they understand -- and they say "no" - that's okay. That just defines the place where you begin teaching.

That's enough advice for tonight. I have to prep for tomorrow's flight student.

Why do I do it?
I love it.
I love seeing students advance, grow, smile and succeed.
I need the income.
I love the flying, even when they're doing a crummy job.
The club and the FBO asked me to do it.
I want to pass along the joy I find in soaring.
So now, you have me passing along the joy I find in teaching.

I wish it will bring you just as much reward.

Cindy B
So Calif