Advice for new CFIGs

Old November 7th 18, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Advice for new CFIGs

A year ago I decided I was going to give something back to my club by becoming a CFIG. I was hoping that I might find several other club members who would take this journey together with me, but now, ready for my checkride, I am the only candidate. Why do so few people seem to want to do this? The number of CFIGs seems to be gradually diminishing as some younger ones move through to the airlines or older ones retire from teaching or flying. I worry about not having enough instructors to keep our training operations going, placing more and more responsibility on fewer and fewer CFIGs. Several of my fellow club members have stated that they would simply rather fly than instruct or have problems with the instructional organizational model we are using. Are there best practices out there for growing the next generation of instructors and organizing how they function in the club environment? What advice should we be giving to those who do step up?
Old November 8th 18, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

My number one bit of advice is don’t instruct for free. My club expects the instructors to work for free. It’s the main reason I don’t do my CFI-G. I feel that the student should pay for it. $40 per hour is a pretty reasonable rate. Leave the club out of it and have the student pay the instructors directly.
Old November 8th 18, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Manley[_3_]

Happy to share my thoughts on your questions and concerns, but would prefer to do it off line.

Email me at smanley at wisc dot edu or
call me at six zero eight two two two six eight four three or
use the contact feature at my website gliderCFI dot com

Scott Manley CFIG

Old November 8th 18, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 9:42:58 PM UTC-5, Charles Longley wrote:
My number one bit of advice is don’t instruct for free. My club expects the instructors to work for free. It’s the main reason I don’t do my CFI-G. I feel that the student should pay for it. $40 per hour is a pretty reasonable rate. Leave the club out of it and have the student pay the instructors directly.

- I received free instruction over many years in several clubs. Now I pay it forward as a part-time unpaid CFI-G. It's a good way to keep the sport going. My advice is: instruct for free, but limit your instruction activity so as to allow yourself some flying on your own. Instructors that "never" get to fly their own glider end up "burnt out".
Old November 8th 18, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 9:42:58 PM UTC-5, Charles Longley wrote:
My number one bit of advice is don’t instruct for free. My club expects the instructors to work for free. It’s the main reason I don’t do my CFI-G. I feel that the student should pay for it. $40 per hour is a pretty reasonable rate. Leave the club out of it and have the student pay the instructors directly.

I disagree. Getting paid for it makes it a job, jobs suck. There is a circular problem, the less CFIs the less fun it is to be a CFI. Instructing is great when you have a large pool of instructors taking turns. I don't have an answer beyond encouraging those that you think would be good at it to go for it.
Old November 8th 18, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

After Harris Hill paid me to learn how to teach using the Jr’s members as guinea pigs 🐷, I would go on to teach many in years pass without charging.
In a club situation, everyone has a part to play. Students certainly help as ground crew , doing things like clean barf out of a glider after a pax ride.
Plus being an instructor has a bit of Royalty attached to it, members bowing 🙇 and all that. I found it fun and rewarding.
Advice....be alert that everyone you fly with do not put items on floor that could interfere with the controls (pax rides).
Power to glider check-outs/flight reviews...pilots are a sensitive lot...have pilots acknowledge verbally to you what they will have to demonstrate to pass the check ride, before you begin. This saves the ‘I thought you meant...’ BS encounters. Having the student verbalize the areas needing improvements or what the goal is brings clarity to the lesson. Having students critique themselves will give you an idea of comprehension.
The rest is easy pezzie, so...get in there like the rest 👑 of us.. Off with their heads!
Old November 8th 18, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

I am associated with three clubs in the Pacific Northwest. (I’ve towed at all three and flown gliders at all three) Two of them do training one is cross country only. Of the two that do training one has free instruction the other has the students pay the instructors $40 per hour. (I think the students can double up for ground) Both clubs are located next to a large metro area.

The club that has free instruction is barely able to have one instructor available for their two L-23’s and one 103. Occasionally they have two instructors. Frequently they have none. They have two tow planes but only use one 95% of the time.

The club that has the students pay the instructors usually has 3-4 instructors going every weekend. They’re easily able to keep their two 2-33’s, three L-23’s, Grob 103 and two tow planes very busy.

Neither club has much problem with available wing runners and mandatory Field Managers.

So you tell me which club is offering better service to their members especially students? There’s that old saying, “You get what you pay for.”
Old November 8th 18, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, November 8, 2018 at 11:25:40 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 9:42:58 PM UTC-5, Charles Longley wrote:
My number one bit of advice is don’t instruct for free. My club expects the instructors to work for free. It’s the main reason I don’t do my CFI-G. I feel that the student should pay for it. $40 per hour is a pretty reasonable rate. Leave the club out of it and have the student pay the instructors directly.

I disagree. Getting paid for it makes it a job, jobs suck. There is a circular problem, the less CFIs the less fun it is to be a CFI. Instructing is great when you have a large pool of instructors taking turns. I don't have an answer beyond encouraging those that you think would be good at it to go for it.

I completely agree.
44 years instructing because I like to do it.
Money would not make it a better experience for me.
UH
Old November 8th 18, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

wrote on 11/8/2018 8:25 AM:
On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 9:42:58 PM UTC-5, Charles Longley wrote:
My number one bit of advice is don’t instruct for free. My club expects the instructors to work for free. It’s the main reason I don’t do my CFI-G. I feel that the student should pay for it. $40 per hour is a pretty reasonable rate. Leave the club out of it and have the student pay the instructors directly.

I disagree. Getting paid for it makes it a job, jobs suck. There is a circular problem, the less CFIs the less fun it is to be a CFI. Instructing is great when you have a large pool of instructors taking turns. I don't have an answer beyond encouraging those that you think would be good at it to go for it.

Nooo, it's a job if you are an employee; if you are boss, like doing it, AND you
are getting paid for it - Be Happy! Use the money to pay for car repairs or the
other things that need doing, but you don't have the time to do because you are
instructing. My wife thought was a clever way to go flying instead working on
"honey do's".

I instructed for our club for 16 years, learned a lot, had fun, club grew, and I
always charged for instruction. No one ever complained, and one student even gave
me a $150 tip after he got his license!

Old November 9th 18, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

It was rather a shock to me to read the suggestion of charging for instruction. I think I would be far less likely to instruct if instructors were paid. I would feel that it was work and should be done by people who want to work for whatever the going rate might be. My very fortunate situation is such that I prefer to be appreciated than to be paid. If instructors are paid, what about all the other volunteer activities required to keep a club and airfield going? We have a great spirit at our club of about 250 flying members; it helps that we all contribute as volunteers in whatever way we are able. I admit that our average age is high and we have a lot of retirees among the active instructors.