First glider inspection/purchase help (not model)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 11th 11, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tstock

Default First glider inspection/purchase help (not model)

Hello all, I am a low hour glider pilot and I am planning to buy my
first glider this summer, but this will be my first aircraft purchase
so I have absolutely no idea what is/should be involved in the
process. I have decided on a few specific models so we can leave
that part out of the equation for now.

I am 99% sure that the aircraft will be out of state here in the USA.
Having never purchased an aircraft, and I am not sure how to go about
inspecting the condition, other than looking at the maintenance log
and that the annual has been done. Should I find someone to do an
inspection before making the drive? Should I ask the owner who he has
been using for the annual inspections?

What else should I be checking into? A/D's that have been done?
Accident history? Last time the plane was flown?

I read one recommendation to insist that the owner take the plane for
a flight because he/she is obviously not going to want to fly an
unsafe plane... seems reasonable but a short gentle flight may not
prove anything, and the owner may simple decline due to time, etc.

Is the anything I need to be aware of transporting the aircraft from
one state to another (state taxes, etc)?

And how does one tow a new aircraft across the USA without being able
to register the trailer in the home state? When I purchased boats
locally it was not a big deal to drive across town with a "just
purchased" sign in the window, but across the country with no plates
could present a problem. Would like to hear how some of you have done
this in the past. I suppose I could place my own vehicle's tag on the
trailer.

Yes these are stupid questions but I'd rather ask something stupid
than do something stupid!

Thanks
Tom