Jackson Hole TFR

Old August 17th 06, 08:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Jackson Hole TFR

Planning a trip to Jackson Hole next week, but of course the AOPA web
site lists a potential TFR for Jackson Hole airport from August
17th-Sept. 1st.

Is the JAC (jackson Hole) airport CLOSED during the TFR to GA or what
is the deal?

Reading the TFR text for the latest TFR's out there show the airspace
for something like 3-4 n.m. upto 6000 feet.
Can one fly in on an IFR flight plan? VFR flight plan with flight
following or not?

Thanks for any light one can shed on this irritating development.

Ryan in Madison, WI

Old August 17th 06, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

NOTAM : 6/6761

FDC 6/6761 ZLC WY.. FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS JACKSON,
WYOMING, AUGUST 18-23, 2006 LOCAL. PURSUANT TO TITLE 14,
SECTION 91.141 OF THE CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS, AIRCRAFT
FLIGHT OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN THE FOLLOWING
AREA(S) UNLESS OTHERWISE AUTHORIZED BY ATC IN CONSULTATION
WITH THE DOMESTIC EVENTS NETWORK (DEN). WITHIN A 3 NMR OF
433623N/1104418W OR THE JAC185000.9 UP TO BUT NOT INCLUDING
3000 FT AGL EFFECTIVE: 0608182130 UTC (1530 LOCAL 08/18/06)
UNTIL 0608182220 UTC (1620 LOCAL 08/18/06). WITHIN A 4 NMR
OF 433144N/1105044W OR THE JAC209007.4 UP TO BUT NOT
INCLUDING 6000 FT AGL EFFECTIVE: 0608182210 UTC (1610 LOCAL
08/18/06) UNTIL 0608231740 UTC (1140 LOCAL 08/23/06). WITHIN
A 3 NMR OF 433623N/1104418W OR THE JAC185000.9 UP TO BUT NOT
INCLUDING 3000 FT AGL EFFECTIVE: 0608231730 UTC (1130 LOCAL
08/23/06) UNTIL 0608231820 UTC (1220 LOCAL 08/23/06).

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_6_6761.html

You can get approval, for flights such as medical, law
enforcement, and S&R and other flights that are security
cleared. But if all you want to do is make a fuel stop,
easier to pick another place.

oups.com...

Old August 17th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Actually, Jackson hole is the destination for us, not a fuel stop.
Already have a condo rented.

So Jackson Hole is closed to general aviation for the entire time...?!?!

Old August 17th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Here's the lowdown, The Vp is in and out alot these days going to
various functions away from here. They close the airport for his
departure and arrival, these closures last about 20-30 minutes and are
determined a few hours in advance. Flight service and SLC ATC will
pass along the current notams. It's not really a big deal so making JAC
a destination is still a treat for sure. The TFR over his house is hot
anytime he is here, Thats the one 7.4 NM southwest of the JAC VOR with
a 4NM radius. During his departure/arrival the airport is closed up to
3000 AGL and 3 NM radius, over the field. It is easy to hold east of
the field and take in the beauty of the Tetons for a few minutes.
Probably the prettiest hold you will ever be in. G

Ben
N801BH
Jackson Hole WY

Old August 17th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Not necessarily, get a clearance and approval by the D E N
office.

oups.com...

Old August 17th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Not necessarily, get a clearance and approval by the D E N
office.

I have a feeling I'm going to be slapping my forehead, with a hearty Doh!,
but I've gotta' ask - D E N ?
--
Jim in NC

Old August 17th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

It is listed in the NOTAM for the TFR
NOTAM Number : FDC 6/6761
Issue Date : August 16, 2006 at 19:21 UTC
Location : Jackson, Wyoming
Beginning Date and Time : August 18, 2006 at 21:30 UTC
Ending Date and Time : August 23, 2006 at 18:20 UTC
Reason for NOTAM : Temporary flight restrictions for
VIP (Very Important Person) Movement
Type : VIP
Replaced NOTAM(s) : N/A

Affected Area(s)

Area A
Airspace Definition:
TFR Center: 0.9 nautical miles from JACKSON
VOR/DME(JAC) on the 185 radial (Latitude: 43º36'23"N,
Longitude: 110º44'18"W)
Radius: 3 nautical miles
Altitude: From the surface up to but not
including 3000 feet AGL
Effective Date(s):
August 18, 2006 at 21:30 UTC (August 18, 2006 at 15:30
MDT) - August 18, 2006 at 22:20 UTC (August 18, 2006 at
16:20 MDT)

Area B
Airspace Definition:
TFR Center: 7.4 nautical miles from JACKSON
VOR/DME(JAC) on the 209 radial (Latitude: 43º31'44"N,
Longitude: 110º50'44"W)
Radius: 4 nautical miles
Altitude: From the surface up to but not
including 6000 feet AGL
Effective Date(s):
August 18, 2006 at 22:10 UTC (August 18, 2006 at 16:10
MDT) - August 23, 2006 at 17:40 UTC (August 23, 2006 at
11:40 MDT)

Area C
Airspace Definition:
TFR Center: 0.9 nautical miles from JACKSON
VOR/DME(JAC) on the 185 radial (Latitude: 43º36'23"N,
Longitude: 110º44'18"W)
Radius: 3 nautical miles
Altitude: From the surface up to but not
including 3000 feet AGL
Effective Date(s):
August 23, 2006 at 17:30 UTC (August 23, 2006 at 11:30
MDT) - August 23, 2006 at 18:20 UTC (August 23, 2006 at
12:20 MDT)

Operating Restrictions and Requirements

No pilots may operate an aircraft in the areas covered
by this NOTAM (except as described).

Unless otherwise authorized by ATC in consultation with
the Domestic Events Network (DEN).

Other Information:
ARTCC: ZLC - Salt Lake City Center
Authority: Title 14 CFR section 91.141

Old August 17th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Howard Nelson

wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's the lowdown, The Vp is in and out alot these days going to
various functions away from here. They close the airport for his
departure and arrival, these closures last about 20-30 minutes and are
determined a few hours in advance. Flight service and SLC ATC will
pass along the current notams. It's not really a big deal so making JAC
a destination is still a treat for sure. The TFR over his house is hot
anytime he is here, Thats the one 7.4 NM southwest of the JAC VOR with
a 4NM radius. During his departure/arrival the airport is closed up to
3000 AGL and 3 NM radius, over the field. It is easy to hold east of
the field and take in the beauty of the Tetons for a few minutes.
Probably the prettiest hold you will ever be in. G

Ben
N801BH
Jackson Hole WY

And why can't the notam read this way. You know plain english for the great
unwashed. Sort of the same with fire season TFR's perhaps in addition to the
usual vor radial point and diameter they could provide a "plain english"
translation. And by the way given the known accuracy of vor radials and DME
measurements just how "accurate" are these TRF's.

Howard

Old August 17th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 09:04:14 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
wrote in
VR_Eg.4432$SZ3.2448@dukeread04:

Unless otherwise authorized by ATC in consultation with
the Domestic Events Network (DEN).

THE DOMESTIC EVENTS NETWORK (DEN) AT (202) 493-5107, IS THE FAA
COORDINATION FACILITY.

http://www.gao.gov/atext/d05928t.txt
* FAA has increased its use of temporarily restricted airspace for
national security purposes and has issued over 220 Notices to
Airmen[Footnote 4] to identify the location of restricted
airspace. In
addition, the FAA established the Domestic Events
Network,[Footnote 5] an interagency teleconferencing system that
permits the agencies to communicate about and coordinate their
response to violations of restricted airspace.

[5] While our report discusses management of restricted airspace
violations, the mission of the Domestic Events Network also
includes managing the response to hijackings, suspicious
activities, and other events.