funny

Old October 6th 03, 01:23 AM
Jerry Springer

RobertR237 wrote:

In article . net, Jerry
Springer writes:

Robert, can't fine that one could you point me to a NTSB report?
Because I fly an RV-6 I try to learn from the other guys mistakes.
Thanks,

Jerry

I don't know about the NTSB report but it occured at David Wayne Hooks airport
about a year or so ago. The guy didn't stay in the pattern and the engine
failed as he was returning to the airport. Crashed into a trailer (and tree)
not too far from the airport. I don't know all the details but his engine just
stopped with what I later heard were fuel supply problems.

Bob Reed

Thanks Bob I believe that is the one Cy refered to earlier.

Jerry

Old October 6th 03, 01:33 AM
Cy Galley

That was Greg Young.

"RobertR237" wrote in message
In article . net, Jerry
Springer writes:

Robert, can't fine that one could you point me to a NTSB report?
Because I fly an RV-6 I try to learn from the other guys mistakes.
Thanks,

Jerry

I don't know about the NTSB report but it occured at David Wayne Hooks

airport
about a year or so ago. The guy didn't stay in the pattern and the engine
failed as he was returning to the airport. Crashed into a trailer (and

tree)
not too far from the airport. I don't know all the details but his engine

just
stopped with what I later heard were fuel supply problems.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old October 6th 03, 01:37 AM
Cy Galley

NTSB Identification: FTW01LA164. The docket is stored in the (offline) NTSB
Imaging System.
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Thursday, July 12, 2001 in Spring, TX
Probable Cause Approval Date: 11/28/01
Aircraft: Young RV-6, registration: N6GY
Injuries: 1 Minor.
This was the first flight of the homebuilt airplane following its
certification on the day prior to the accident. While returning from the
airplane's maiden flight, about 10 nautical miles from the airport,
approximately 1,200 feet msl, the pilot turned the electric fuel pump on for
landing, and the engine began to run "rough." He turned the fuel pump off
and the engine "smoothed out." With the fuel pump on, the pilot could lean
the mixture and get the engine to "smooth out." After trying several
combinations of fuel pump and mixture settings, the pilot thought the engine
was running smooth and planned for a tight pattern, high speed approach,
with the mixture full rich and the fuel pump off. While on base leg, at
approximately 600 feet agl, the aircraft appeared to be settling faster than
anticipated. The pilot attempted to add power, but the engine was "dead and
just wind milling." He went through a "quick restart" and at approximately
400 feet, initiated a forced landing to a nearby trailer park and declared
an emergency. The airplane touched down between two rows of trailers, and
during the landing roll the right wing impacted a tree. The airplane came to
rest upright with the left wing against a house trailer. The reason for the
loss of engine power could not be determined.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of
this accident as follows:

the loss of engine power for undetermined reasons during the landing
approach. A contributing factor was the lack of suitable terrain for the
forced landing.

Old October 6th 03, 05:31 AM
Barnyard BOb --

"Bart D. Hull" wrote:

Bob,

You seem to be a grumpy old man "armchair builder". Any pics of planes you have
personally built?

Guilty of all of the above and much more.
Check Ron Wanttaja's site for pix.

I have a second RV-3 project in the garage that needs FWF.
It may or may not get finished. Depends if one of my sons cares
to take an interest in flying it. The RV-3 I fly now keeps me
satisfied and quite busy several hundred hours a year.
Bass fishing takes up a lot of my retired life as well.

In case you don't know...
Some guys are born to build and others born to fly.
You may place me in the latter group at this point.
No question that I'm on the downhill side of things,
but chances are damn good I can show you a thing
or two about building, flying and surviving.

Or just stories?

Got plenty of them, too, but....

What have you got that would impress someone
that has survived 50 flight years of mistakes made
by myself and my generation of aviation comrades?

I have a very rich flying history.
If you want to turn a deaf ear and repeat much of my
youthful foolishness for yourself, be my guest. Maybe you
will be lucky enough not to kill yourself, too. OTOH.....

I do find it interesting the Honda has designed and is testing a
4 cyl water-cooled aircraft engine for Lycoming to produce. Would that be
classed an auto engine by you as well?

Don't **** with me, junior.
I don't suffer fools well, as you already know.

Some do, others just bitch.

I was "doing" before your mommy learned
about contraceptives and abortion.

Barnyard BOb --

Old October 6th 03, 05:33 AM
Barnyard BOb --

(Marcus) wrote:

You have tunnel vision, Del.

And you have your head up your ass as usual.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Better than a casket, doofus.

Barnyard BOb --

Old October 6th 03, 05:41 AM
Barnyard BOb --

Bob,

You seem to be a grumpy old man "armchair builder". Any pics of planes
you have personally built? Or just stories?

I'm still building as we speak. Check out my links.

And the devil is in the details whether it be a Cont, Lyc or a Soob.

I do find it interesting the Honda has designed and is testing a
4 cyl water-cooled aircraft engine for Lycoming to produce. Would that be
classed an auto engine by you as well?

Semi-literate? Did someone not give you your happy medication today?

Some do, others just bitch.

-
Bart D. Hull

Oh boy I want to get the popcorn out and sit back and watch this one. :-)

Jerry

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bart Simpson, Bart Hull... no difference.

Barnyard BOb --

Old October 6th 03, 06:04 AM
Bart D. Hull

Bob,

I'm just not happy with the old injection systems, ignition systems and starting
issues with the Lycs. If I throw all those away, I just have a old air-cooled
long block anyways. A big question I see is what IF they do away with 100LL and
replace it with 82UL? What then for those old Lyc's and Conts'? I know its a
vague threat by those environmentalist types but what if they manage it?

I do understand your comments about tried and true but at one time they were
"cutting edge" as well, right? In your 50 years of flying you must have had a
time that you thought, "Man the old XXXXX engine (or plane) was a piece of ****
I'm glad I'm flying a XXXXXXX now."

I think its time to bring airplane engines and their systems up to more modern
and reliable levels. I don't mean more complicated, but things have come a long
way since air cooled, low compression, twin valve per cylinder, pushrod engine.

Yes, it's more work than just installing a Lyc, it will require more effort to
work out the bugs (as on any new engine install.) and I'll need to provide the
technical support myself. (better than trusting my life to something I'm not
intimately familiar with.)

Too many think of a auto-conversion as a "cheap" engine, I don't see it this way
if you plan to have a successful conversion. No pinto distributors, old Holley
two barrels, used fuel tank pumps, standard EFI boxes on my engine. Even a
turbo for altitude equalization not a "Rice Boy" HP until it blows installation.

The Honda-Lyc will be very similar to a auto-conversion as is the Bombardier
V-6. Both have serious investments to bring them up to date. I am watching them
carefully to follow the millions of bucks they are spending to learn how to
build a reliable new generation engine package that pilots will trust.

Would you put a Honda-Lyc or a Bombardier V-6 (200 or 300 HP) on your 2nd RV-3?

And yes I take "junior" as a complement as I'm quite the youngster at 35 years
of age. As far as youthful foolishness, we all do it some time in our life and
yet most of us make it to a ripe old age.

--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Old October 6th 03, 10:09 AM
Treefrog

"Barnyard BOb --" wrote in message

What's so funny about a Soob in a plane?

I don't know.
What?

I do know.... the last Soob powered local plane crashed,
burned and the pilot became another fatality statistic off the
end of runway. Maiden flight Propulsion issues.

I don't know what kind of crap you get sold in the states but over here
(UK), the standard 2.0l turbo Subaru engine kicks out 208Bhp and is very
very very very very reliable. You could prop hang an ultralight with that
much power!

Old October 6th 03, 12:18 PM
Kevin Horton

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 11:09:56 +0100, Treefrog wrote:

"Barnyard BOb --" wrote in message

What's so funny about a Soob in a plane?

I don't know.
What?

I do know.... the last Soob powered local plane crashed, burned and the
pilot became another fatality statistic off the end of runway. Maiden
flight Propulsion issues.

I don't know what kind of crap you get sold in the states but over here
(UK), the standard 2.0l turbo Subaru engine kicks out 208Bhp and is very
very very very very reliable. You could prop hang an ultralight with
that much power!

The basic engine is probably very reliable as installed in the car. The
problem is that you have to make some modifications to put it in the
aircraft, and those modifications aren't as well engineered or tested as
the basic engine.

For example, you'll need some sort of reduction drive to reduce the rpm at
the prop. Even if you had an engine that made sufficient power at low rpm
to directly connect it to the prop you still need to cobble together a
thrust bearing and prop flange. You'll need to modify the cooling system
to use a different radiator and hose routing. You'll need to cobble
together an air induction system to take air from the front of the
aircraft and feed it to the engine's air intake. Depending how high you
want to fly, and the design of the fuel injection system, you may need to
replace the fuel injection with something that works at higher altitudes.
Etc. Etc.

All these builder designed items introduce the possiblity for new failure
modes.

--
Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)
Ottawa, Canada