OSH Go Arounds

Old March 25th 05, 07:29 PM
jsmith

Default OSH Go Arounds

The "Go Around... NOW" thread go me to thinking about how to properly
execute a go-around at OSH AirVenture.
Last year I had to execute one after the aircraft I was following failed
to maintain the proper speed to the runway and proceded to land short of
his designated "dot".
We were landing 27 and the other runway in use of 36.
I added power and pitched out to the north (left).
There was no conflicting traffic, it was just like entering left
downwind for reentry.
That got me to wondering about advance planning of go-arounds for all
approaches during AirVenture.
If landing 9 or 27 and 18, you cannot pitchout to the north because of
the traffic 18.
If you are landing 18 and other traffic is landing 9 or 27, you cannot
continue north; you may encounter traffic on right downwind for 18 if
you pitchout to the east, or you pitchout to the west, over the
showline, Pioneer Aiport traffic, etc.
There is nothing in the NOTAM about Go-Around Procedures.
It never ceases to amaze me, that after all these years, there are still
holes in the procedures.

Old March 25th 05, 07:37 PM
Jose

There is nothing in the NOTAM about Go-Around Procedures.
It never ceases to amaze me, that after all these years, there are still holes in the procedures.

They are there to assist Darwin.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old March 26th 05, 01:53 AM
Jack Allison

Last year I had to execute one after the aircraft I was following failed
to maintain the proper speed to the runway and proceded to land short of
his designated "dot".

Bet he didn't get the "Good job" from the tower controller.

We were landing 27 and the other runway in use of 36.
I added power and pitched out to the north (left).

If you're landing 27 and you turn North, that's a right turn on my
compass. Were you landing on 9? That would make more sense.

Glad that your OSH go-around went ok. I've not had to do one yet but
have seen some rather interesting go-arounds while watching the arrival
show. The funny thing is that after listening to tower on the handheld
for some time, you get to the point where you can tell when the tower
controller is going to tell someone to go around.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student-Arrow Buying Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old March 26th 05, 04:17 AM
Jay Honeck

We were landing 27 and the other runway in use of 36.
I added power and pitched out to the north (left).
There was no conflicting traffic, it was just like entering left downwind
for reentry.

Eh? I'm with Jack on this one -- you must've been landing on 09 for a turn
to the north to have been a left turn.

Knock on wood, I haven't had to in initiate a go-around at OSH. In any
event, as for procedures, I would do precisely what the controller tells me
to do.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 26th 05, 02:25 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Jay Honeck" said:
Knock on wood, I haven't had to in initiate a go-around at OSH. In any
event, as for procedures, I would do precisely what the controller tells me
to do.

Two years ago was my first trip to OSH, and this year I'm going again.
Last time, when it came time to take-off, the guy on the radio told me to
taxi onto the runway, but the guy with the flag was still holding it up in
the "STOP" position. So I stayed stopped, and the guy on the radio yelled
at me to move it, dammit.

Should I have ignored the flag?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Cause geeks like us, baby we can hack the Sun" - Joe Thompson
Old March 26th 05, 02:45 PM
Dave Stadt

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Jay Honeck" said:
Knock on wood, I haven't had to in initiate a go-around at OSH. In any
event, as for procedures, I would do precisely what the controller tells

me
to do.

Two years ago was my first trip to OSH, and this year I'm going again.
Last time, when it came time to take-off, the guy on the radio told me to
taxi onto the runway, but the guy with the flag was still holding it up in
the "STOP" position. So I stayed stopped, and the guy on the radio yelled
at me to move it, dammit.

Should I have ignored the flag?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Cause geeks like us, baby we can hack the Sun" - Joe Thompson

The guy on the radio is an FAA controller. The guy with the flag is a
volunteer. Damnit out ranks a flag.

Old March 26th 05, 02:46 PM
Morgans

"Paul Tomblin" wrote

Two years ago was my first trip to OSH, and this year I'm going again.
Last time, when it came time to take-off, the guy on the radio told me to
taxi onto the runway, but the guy with the flag was still holding it up in
the "STOP" position. So I stayed stopped, and the guy on the radio yelled
at me to move it, dammit.

Should I have ignored the flag?

IMHO, you should pay attention to the guy with the flag. He may have been
in a better position than the controller, to see something that should make
you stay put.

I would break radio silence to quickly point it out.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 26th 05, 07:55 PM
Morgans

"Dave Stadt" wrote

The guy on the radio is an FAA controller. The guy with the flag is a
volunteer. Damnit out ranks a flag.

On takeoff?

Every time I have been out for takeoff was the rush after the airshow, and
there were FAA pink shirts letting people onto the runway. I have never
seen any volunteers with flags anywhere other than taxiways. Have you seen
different, and if so, where?
--
Jim in NC

Old March 26th 05, 11:11 PM

That is essentially correct. We typically marshall aircraft right up to
the runway itself, at which point the lead controller for that
particular runway (standing with a spotter on the "MOO-COW" little
trailer parked next to the runway) calls you out by "N" number (or "C"
letters for that matter!) and will typically tell you "into position
and hold".
We do not, ever, clear anyone onto the runway ourselves. The pink
shirts do that. When I work the "point" (the position where all the
traffic merges together right before the runway) I usually have a radio
that I'm monitoring.
Hence, we may be telling you to stop, and the controller wants you to
move. There might be slight delay. Or we are telling you to stop for
another reason, such as sorting out an IFR departure that may stage
from a different area and needs to move thru. (especially with RWY 27
departures, we don't have much room to work with on rwy 9 departures).
But in essence, an orange shirt should not be waving you onto the
runway. Only the pink shirts do. (unless we are told to by a pink
shirt).
I think the most fun at OSH for a volunteer is the point on RWY 9-27
just after the airshow. I would think it comes closest to what working
on an aircraft carrier deck must be like (on dry land). I know the
controllers like it. It is a thing of beauty when it works right.

Ryan
Co-Chair, Flight Line OPS, EAA OSH
Madison, WI

Old March 27th 05, 12:50 AM

[...]