Finland - USA 2-0

Old November 1st 03, 08:00 PM
Bjørnar Bolsøy

Vince Brannigan wrote in
:
Bjørnar Bolsøy wrote:

doesn't mean anything if you are sitting on a pool of oil. Oil
mean you can pump money out of the ground not that the economy
is productive

Well it is a natural resource. However, oil isn't just "pumped
out of the ground" here, it's pumped off the weather harsh
conditions on the continental shelf at depths of up to 1000ft.
It requires unique technology and huge investments to build and
maintain the collossus production platforms and to transport
the oil and gas to its customers on the European continent.

Sure, but all that goes into the GDP

On a humorous coincidence in High School I dated the
girl who became president of Mobil Exploration Norway, CM Devine.

Vince

I say. Mobile's head office was just downtown from where I
grew up, in Stavanger, not far off a couple of quite decent
nightclubs I might add. Just the one date, was it?

Regards...
Old November 1st 03, 08:29 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Bjørnar Bolsøy" wrote in message
Vince Brannigan wrote in
:
Bjørnar Bolsøy wrote:

Well it is a natural resource. However, oil isn't just "pumped
out of the ground" here, it's pumped off the weather harsh
conditions on the continental shelf at depths of up to 1000ft.
It requires unique technology and huge investments to build and
maintain the collossus production platforms and to transport
the oil and gas to its customers on the European continent.

High technology sure but hardly unique, there are offshore oil platforms
in equally harsh conditions the world over, I know I used to
work for one of the main contractors in the field.

As bad as conditions in winter in the North Sea are I'd hazard they
are less extreme than those found in Cook Inlet Alaska or
off Sakhalin.

At any rate there are half a dozen contractors capable of doing
such work and at least 2 of the leaders are American and another
British.

Keith

Old November 1st 03, 10:07 PM
Bjørnar Bolsøy

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in
:
Bjørnar Bolsøy wrote:

Well it is a natural resource. However, oil isn't just "pumped
out of the ground" here, it's pumped off the weather harsh
conditions on the continental shelf at depths of up to 1000ft.
It requires unique technology and huge investments to build
and maintain the collossus production platforms and to
transport the oil and gas to its customers on the European
continent.

High technology sure but hardly unique, there are offshore oil
platforms in equally harsh conditions the world over, I know I
used to work for one of the main contractors in the field.

Absolutely, I was refering to land and traditional shallow
water vs. deepsea offshore production.

As bad as conditions in winter in the North Sea are I'd hazard
they are less extreme than those found in Cook Inlet Alaska or
off Sakhalin.

Oh yes, extreamly challenging artic temperature, ice and
seimological conditions, though these are shallow water fields
compared to say Troll or Gullfaks. Deep sea drilling in tough
weather poses a whole different set of challenges.

And I'd vager that the sea conditions of the Northsea are
tougher, with 60ft waves not uncommon. That's what Sakhalin
expects once a century.

I was looking for a suitable group to post follow-ups, but
couldn't find any on my newsfeed, so I apologise for my
off-topic posting in here.

Regards...
Old November 2nd 03, 04:10 AM
Matthew G. Saroff

"William Wright" wrote:

"Juvat" wrote in message
.. .
After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police noname
blurted out:

Finland is the world's most competitive economy followed by the United
States, Sweden, Denmark and Taiwan, according to a Global
Competitiveness Report released Thursday.

In economic terms "competitive economy" is extremely nebulous, and
some economists would suggest meaningless.

Which nation's economy, per capita GDP (i.e. most productive per
person) is the highest?

http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications.../2004rank.html

Luxemburg 1, USA 2 ... Finland 19

One should understand that per capita GDP is also
imprecise. We, for example, spend something like twice the
amount per capita on medical expenses (something like 20% of
GDP), with generally lower life expectancy and higher infant
mortality.
Our GDP is boosted by the inefficiencies in health care.
--
--Matthew Saroff
Shrub stole the election, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt
Old November 2nd 03, 04:54 AM
phil hunt

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 23:10:07 -0500, Matthew G. Saroff wrote:

One should understand that per capita GDP is also
imprecise. We, for example, spend something like twice the
amount per capita on medical expenses (something like 20% of
GDP), with generally lower life expectancy and higher infant
mortality.
Our GDP is boosted by the inefficiencies in health care.

GDP isn't actually a measure of wealth generated -- though it's
often used as that. It's a measure of economic activity. If I crash
my car and pay someone 100 quid to fix it, that adds 100 pounds to
Britain's GDP, but nothing to its wealth.

(Email: , but first subtract 275 and reverse
the last two letters).

Old November 2nd 03, 05:23 AM
WaltBJ

"Nils Rostedt" wrote in message ...
"WaltBJ" wrote in message
om...
Cub Driver wrote in message

. ..
Finland is the world's most competitive economy followed by the

United
States, Sweden, Denmark and Taiwan, according to a Global
Competitiveness Report released Thursday.

SNIP:

Do they not also lead the world in suicides?

Not correct.
http://www.who.int/mental_health/pre...iciderates/en/

I see. Only twice the rate in the USA.

Walt BJ
Old November 2nd 03, 11:16 AM
Yama

om...

"WaltBJ" wrote in message
Not correct.
http://www.who.int/mental_health/pre...iciderates/en/

I see. Only twice the rate in the USA.

On a plus side, odds of getting gunned down are considerably smaller...

Old November 2nd 03, 01:19 PM
Fred J. McCall

"Yama" wrote:

:
. com...
: "WaltBJ" wrote in message
: Not correct.
: http://www.who.int/mental_health/pre...iciderates/en/
:
: I see. Only twice the rate in the USA.
:
:On a plus side, odds of getting gunned down are considerably smaller...

Well, odds of getting 'gunned down' here aren't significantly higher
than they are in Britain, if one starts off with the assumption that
one isn't a gang banger. Stay out of really bad neighborhoods and
avoid egregiously stupid behaviour like trying to frighten and
ignoring the warnings of armed people in their own homes and your odds
are much greater of slipping and falling to death in the bathtub than
they are of being 'gunned down'.

--
"Rule Number One for Slayers - Don't die."
-- Buffy, the Vampire Slayer
Old November 2nd 03, 02:43 PM
Yama

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
"Yama" wrote:
:On a plus side, odds of getting gunned down are considerably smaller...

Well, odds of getting 'gunned down' here aren't significantly higher
than they are in Britain, if one starts off with the assumption that
one isn't a gang banger. Stay out of really bad neighborhoods and
avoid egregiously stupid behaviour like trying to frighten and
ignoring the warnings of armed people in their own homes and your odds
are much greater of slipping and falling to death in the bathtub than
they are of being 'gunned down'.

I don't quite see how this counters my point - "bad neighborhoods" exist in
all countries...

PS: Faith is better than Buffy

Old November 2nd 03, 03:12 PM
Fred J. McCall

:
: "Yama" wrote:
: :On a plus side, odds of getting gunned down are considerably smaller...
:
: Well, odds of getting 'gunned down' here aren't significantly higher
: than they are in Britain, if one starts off with the assumption that
: one isn't a gang banger. Stay out of really bad neighborhoods and
: avoid egregiously stupid behaviour like trying to frighten and
: ignoring the warnings of armed people in their own homes and your odds
: are much greater of slipping and falling to death in the bathtub than
: they are of being 'gunned down'.
:
:I don't quite see how this counters my point - "bad neighborhoods" exist in
:all countries...

Yes, but most folks don't live in them, so your odds aren't
appreciably different here than they are anywhere else.

:PS: Faith is better than Buffy

Hotter, certainly. But Buffy got most of the good lines.

--
"Adrenaline is like exercise, but without the excessive gym fees."
-- Professor Walsh, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"