Nasa Icing courses

Old January 9th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default Engine Making Metal (Was: Nasa Icing courses)

How does the engine know the
difference between ground runs at, say 2000 RPM (run-up speed on our
plane) and an extended descent? Is *that* "bad" for the engine, too?

I'm guessing, but in an extended descent, the engine was already running
full bore for a while and is nice and hot and happy. In a ground run,
the engine probably started out cold and never got hot and happy.

Jose
Old January 9th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default Nasa Icing courses

Pete,
I have read and participate in r.a.s for the last few years. The
newsgroup is not 'restricted' to primary students. There are many
instrument/comercial etc. students there as well and IMHO, the
learnings are never stopped for all pilots.

The website link which Jim provided has section on ground icing as
well. The information benefits all pilots and not just IFR rated
pilots.

Again, IMHO, there are no such things as too much information when
it comes to safety issues. Weather is totally unpredictable, VFR
pilots can encounter icing unintentionally. I had posted the account
of my first encounter with freezing rain about this time last year (not
in weather forecast, we were not in the cloud). What happened to us
could have happened to many pilots including primary students on a
solo VFR flight.

Any perceived problem with cross postings of on-topic subject is
quite insignificant in comparison to the numerous off topic, thread
hijacking branching out to politic and religious discussions seen at
rec.avatiation newgroups!

Hai Longworth

Old January 9th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 05:02:33 GMT, George Patterson
wrote:

In the absence of some catastrophe, such as a bent pushrod, this is generally
caused by not flying enough. The layer of hardened steel on a camshaft is fairly
thin. Let the plane sit long enough, and rust will form. When the engine starts
again, the rust is worn away, making the thin layer of hardened steel thinner.
The worst wear points, of course, are the tips of the lobes. Once the hardened
steel wears through, the softer steel underneath goes pretty rapidly.

The automotive world tried out roller lifters a long time ago. They
would work fine in aircraft engines too. I've heard that some of the
engines built for the homebuilt market can and do incorporate roller
lifters. I even thought I read that at least one company was
intending to certify such an engine.

Corky Scott

Old January 9th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

news
wrote:

[...]

It is not uncommon to see roller rockers on round engines.

Old January 9th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"Longworth" wrote in message
ups.com...
Pete,
I have read and participate in r.a.s for the last few years. The
newsgroup is not 'restricted' to primary students.

I never said it was. Please don't put words in my mouth. It does nothing
to support your point, and makes you look dishonest.

[...]
Any perceived problem with cross postings of on-topic subject is
quite insignificant in comparison to the numerous off topic, thread
hijacking branching out to politic and religious discussions seen at
rec.avatiation newgroups!

Your statement is quite ironic, given how this thread got hijacked into a
r.a.owning issue ("engine making metal"). IMHO, that's a perfect
illustration why excessive cross-posting is such a problem (never mind the
divergent threads that wouldn't be on-topic in any rec.aviation.*
newsgroup).

Your other statements are classic slippery-slope logic. The fact is, lots
of topics would be of possible interest to many if not all of the people who
frequent the various rec.aviation.* newsgroups. Unfortunately for your
argument, that's not justification for posting messages on those topics.

Pete

Old January 9th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Pete,
My post is in reference to several points that you made below.

Regarding thread hijacking, I don't have problems with thread
branching out to other topics. Using google, at least the branch was
labeled Engine making metal. It is not the same as branching or
hijacking to non-aviation related discussions on politics and
religions.

I think I have sufficiently expressed my opinion on cross postings
and off-topic subject and do not wish to engage in any further
discussions here to conserve bandwidth.

Hai Longworth

Weather is taught to VFR primary students, why not icing?

Because they have enough to learn already?

Seriously though, a primary student's knowledge of icing need not
extend
much further than "don't fly when freezing rain is forecast". For
extra
credit, a short discussion of what causes freezing rain might be called
for.

Most icing occurs inside a cloud, and VFR pilots should not have to
worry
about that, or anything else that might happen inside a cloud.

But more importantly (and more to the point) the r.a.student newsgroup
is
more about the process of learning to fly, and especially as it applies
primary students

Pete

Old January 9th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Pete,
I do not wish to engage in any disputes with you. I use single
quotation mark around the word 'restricted' and not double quotation
mark.
According to this website

http://www.grammartips.homestead.com...ationmark.html

" single quotation marks for words that are not actual quotations but
that are being set off for some other reason"

I just simply expressed my opinion that Jim's post is appropriate in
rec.aviation.student group.

Hai Longworth

Old January 9th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"Longworth" wrote in message
oups.com...
Pete,
I do not wish to engage in any disputes with you.

That clearly is false.

I use single
quotation mark around the word 'restricted' and not double quotation
mark.

Well, if there were some official specification that prohibited the use of
single quotation marks for quotation here on Usenet, that might make a
difference.

In any case, whether you are literally quoting or simply mischaracterizing
what I wrote, it's "putting words into my mouth".

According to this website

http://www.grammartips.homestead.com...ationmark.html

" single quotation marks for words that are not actual quotations but
that are being set off for some other reason"

Wonderful. When you get that standard to be the official policy on Usenet,
you let me know.

I just simply expressed my opinion that Jim's post is appropriate in
rec.aviation.student group.

No, you did more than that.

Pete

Old January 9th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Nice tap dance there Pete, but she's got you cold on that one!

Suggest you stop blaming her for your misinterpretation of what she
wrote.

--
Cheers,
John Clonts

Nasa Icing courses Jim Burns Piloting 96 February 1st 06 04:16 AM
Nasa Icing courses Jim Burns Owning 108 February 1st 06 04:16 AM
ASRS/ASAP reporting systems - how confidential? Tim Epstein Piloting 7 August 4th 05 05:20 PM
NASA Icing Course [email protected] Piloting 3 December 28th 04 05:18 PM
FAA letter on flight into known icing C J Campbell Instrument Flight Rules 78 December 22nd 03 07:44 PM