solo x/c for commercial

Old June 7th 05, 05:26 PM
Hilton

A Silicon Valley resident, not to be beaten by Gary's East Coast technology
writes

These days the technology has advanced a little, making it even easier (at
least here on the East coast). You just request the mission using the web
form (no phone call is needed, though you can do it that way if you

prefer),
and the reply is via email rather than fax.

I think it's the same here, but I like calling Cheri et al (VERY nice
people), because sometimes they'll say something like: "I know it says SJC,
but they live closer to RHV, it that OK?" - or especially on multi-leg
flights, perhaps the meeting point can be negotiated. I've also heard
"Hilton, John just picked up this flight, how about this other flight that
isn't even on the web site yet?" But, I've also done the web/email thing,
definitely quick and convenient - and the web site tells you what number you
are in line (just to set expectations).

The point we're both making is that it is EASY, and not as difficult as it
sometimes sounds. Just that I've had numerous people ask me about all the
paperwork, phone calls, etc etc etc - that shouldn't scare them. FYI: AFW
(and others?) dropped the 'checkout' requirement a while back, but they
upped the hours required.

Hilton

Old June 7th 05, 07:00 PM
Peter Duniho

"Peter Clark" wrote in message
From what I remember, you can sign away *your* right to do something
(so if the pax gets hurt they can't sue), but you can't sign away
someone *else's* right to do something, so if they're killed the
family can still sue, regardless of the form.

Though, keeping in mind that their lawsuit would not be similar to the
deceased's estate's lawsuit, if I understand correctly. That is, they would
have to demonstrate damages to themselves, not just to the deceased. They
won't be able to sue on behalf of the deceased, nor would the estate.

You'd need an expert (which I'm not) to explain what the exact difference
would be, but I would say that for a start, the person being sued could wind
up on the hook for a lifetime of income (if the deceased was the principal
wage earner) or not much at all (if the deceased had little to do with
supporting the surviving family).

It would all depend on the situation, but in any case would be a different
situation than having the estate come after you.

And of course, this scenario exists with or without the waiver, so this
tangent is really just an example of what the waiver doesn't protect
against. The waiver still does accomplish something, and it shouldn't
create new liability.

Pete

Old June 11th 05, 05:06 PM
Scott Draper

Is this something like the PPL where you have to get an instructor
to sign off on it to prove it was done within 61.127(b)(1)

There is no such requirement for the PPL or CPL.
Old June 11th 05, 05:06 PM
Scott Draper

That means long trips I've done on instrument flight plans (imc or
vmc) won't cut it,

Yes, they do. The long x/c can be IFR.
Old June 11th 05, 05:52 PM
Peter Clark

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 16:06:41 GMT, Scott Draper
wrote:

Is this something like the PPL where you have to get an instructor
to sign off on it to prove it was done within 61.127(b)(1)

There is no such requirement for the PPL or CPL.

So a student pilot can launch off on a solo XC without an instructor
endorsement? Or are you quibbling on "prove it was done within 61.x",
meeting the standards of which are implied by the instructor endorsing
the flight in the case of the PPL.

Frst Solo, Non-stop Round the World Airplane Flight Larry Dighera Piloting 7 March 4th 05 03:51 PM
1.4 solo.. Beav Rotorcraft 0 November 5th 04 12:27 AM
SOLO flight rules Gig Giacona Rotorcraft 60 January 25th 04 06:36 PM
Catastrophic Decompression; Small Place Solo Aviation Piloting 193 January 13th 04 08:52 PM