China Set to Launch Taikonaut

Old October 14th 03, 05:54 PM
robert arndt

Default China Set to Launch Taikonaut

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle... &section=news

Rob
Old October 14th 03, 07:09 PM
Gordon

Godspeed, little Asian guy.

Old October 14th 03, 11:45 PM
Chad Irby

Hope it works out. We need some fresh folks in space. Keeps things
interesting.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old October 15th 03, 05:05 AM
David Bromage

Chad Irby wrote:
Hope it works out. We need some fresh folks in space. Keeps things
interesting.

Hear hear. Let's put politics aside for 14 orbits and wish them well.

Given that the USA and former USSR successfully did this 40 years ago
with much more primative technology than you can buy off the shelf
today, any thoughts on whether China has has the resources and willpower
to go to the moon by the end of the decade?

Cheers
David

Old October 15th 03, 05:37 AM
phil hunt

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 14:05:29 +1000, David Bromage wrote:
Chad Irby wrote:
Hope it works out. We need some fresh folks in space. Keeps things
interesting.

Hear hear. Let's put politics aside for 14 orbits and wish them well.

Given that the USA and former USSR successfully did this 40 years ago
with much more primative technology than you can buy off the shelf
today, any thoughts on whether China has has the resources and willpower
to go to the moon by the end of the decade?

If they think the moon is important, yes.

They are building their own version of the Hubble space telescope.
They are also getting in on the Galileo positioning system project.
I think they have decided that space is important enough to make a
big effort for.

(My real email address would be if you added 275
to it and reversed the last two letters).

Old October 15th 03, 06:19 AM
John Penta

wrote:

Chad Irby wrote:
Hope it works out. We need some fresh folks in space. Keeps things
interesting.

Hear hear. Let's put politics aside for 14 orbits and wish them well.

Given that the USA and former USSR successfully did this 40 years ago
with much more primative technology than you can buy off the shelf
today, any thoughts on whether China has has the resources and willpower
to go to the moon by the end of the decade?

Who knows? Who cares?

Right now...I'm celebrating, quietly.

looks to China's general direction Welcome to space, my friends.
It's dangerous sometimes, always risky...But it's a hell of an
experience. Now...

See the moon?

Race ya...First one there and back wins!

John

Feeling like a little kid....Wooowwwwwwwww...8-O

Old October 15th 03, 08:41 AM
robert arndt

Chad Irby wrote in message .com...
Hope it works out. We need some fresh folks in space. Keeps things
interesting.

So far so good...

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_828894.html

Hope re-entry is just as smooth. Space, for now, is the one place
humanity can put its petty differences aside. The Chinese should be
proud of their accomplishment and we should be proud for them even if
our own program is on hold right now...

Rob
Old October 16th 03, 02:25 AM
David Bromage

Yama wrote:
Chinese manned space program apparently is going to include various

orbital
docking and assembly test projects, and they're planning for a Mir-class
space station by the end of the decade. Still very ambitious, if true.

According to yesterday's news reports, they plan an unmanned lunar probe
within 3 years. Could easily put a man there by the end of the decade.

Cheers
David

Old October 16th 03, 04:26 AM
Gernot Hassenpflug

"Yama" writes:

What I've read, they are going to do that - with unmanned probes, similar to
ones Soviets launched in the '60s.

Similar to the penetrator type that is developed in Japan also to
study the moon, asteroids, and moons of other planets.

--
G Hassenpflug * IJN & JMSDF equipment/history fan

spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
CAAC in China had approved below 116kg aircraft sold in China without airworthiness cetificate Luo Zheng Home Built 0 June 27th 04 03:50 AM
U.S. Air Force award of four rocket launches this year is likely to be delayed Larry Dighera Military Aviation 15 May 14th 04 01:58 PM
"China blamed in '01 air collision" Mike Yared Military Aviation 2 September 14th 03 06:08 PM
"DF-15 launch" Mike Yared Military Aviation 0 August 15th 03 07:21 PM