Modern day propeller fighter - hypothetical

Old December 5th 03, 01:42 AM
George Ruch

"Thomas Schoene" wrote:

George Ruch wrote:

[snip]

They called in an unducted fan or ultra-high bypass turbofan.

Pictures:

http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Rarebird/0809.html

http://www.nurflugel.com/Nurflugel/NASM/Img0052.jpg

So much for memory g Right idea, wrong end of the engine.

/------------------------------------------------------------\
| George Ruch |
| "Is there life in Clovis after Clovis Man?" |
\------------------------------------------------------------/
Old December 5th 03, 02:11 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Mary Shafer" wrote in message
On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 23:11:57 -0700, George Ruch
wrote:

I remember what may be the same picture, a DC-9 fitted with a

high-bypass
turbofan, and multiple scimitar-shaped fan blades extending from the
first-stage fan. Damned if I can find it now, though. Nothing like it

so
far on the NASA Dryden site. Any other ideas?

We put ours on the spine of the Jetstar and drove it with bleed air.

That DC-9 you recall probably belonged to GE, which has a test
facility in Mojave.

GE red hats from North Base did the UDF and the GE90. IIRC there is only an
artist's rendering of the UDF on an MD-80, while the engine actually flew on
the flight test 727-100 that lives at Mojave.

Old December 5th 03, 05:09 AM
Mary Shafer

wrote:

I remember what may be the same picture, a DC-9 fitted with a

high-bypass
turbofan, and multiple scimitar-shaped fan blades extending from the
first-stage fan. Damned if I can find it now, though. Nothing like it

so
far on the NASA Dryden site. Any other ideas?

We put ours on the spine of the Jetstar and drove it with bleed air.

That DC-9 you recall probably belonged to GE, which has a test
facility in Mojave.

GE red hats from North Base did the UDF and the GE90. IIRC there is only an
artist's rendering of the UDF on an MD-80, while the engine actually flew on
the flight test 727-100 that lives at Mojave.

You're right. I was thinking, as I wrote "DC-9", that something
wasn't right about that, but I couldn't quite remember what. It was a
727, not a DC-9, is what.

Photos of it, with the odd engine, would show up now and then as a
"look at that" item in the various aviation magazines. There was at
least one in "Straight and Level".

Mary

Old December 5th 03, 03:26 PM
Tarver Engineering

wrote:

[...]

In '97 when i was contracting at Boeing Everett there was a manager with the
MD-80 artist's rendition on the wall and i mentioned that the engine had at
least flown on a 727.

Photos of it, with the odd engine, would show up now and then as a
"look at that" item in the various aviation magazines. There was at
least one in "Straight and Level".

The funny part is that the flying MD-80 artist's rendition is used fairly
commonly to show the engine, even though it never happened.

Old December 5th 03, 11:22 PM
Tom Mosher

wrote:

[...]

The UDF on an MD-80 flew. They even took it to Farnborough in 1988.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/212668/M/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/340963/M/

Tom Mosher
Old December 6th 03, 02:09 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Tom Mosher" wrote in message
om...

. ..

wrote:

[...]

That's really cute, but not the one in the picture we are discussing.

Old December 6th 03, 04:15 AM

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

om...

wrote:

[...]

How about this ugly thing mounted on what appears to be the wing of a DC-9
(upper right image in the group of three).

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...on/q0067.shtml

Old December 6th 03, 05:39 AM
Tarver Engineering

wrote in message
y.com...

How about this ugly thing mounted on what appears to be the wing of a DC-9
(upper right image in the group of three).

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...on/q0067.shtml

It's not as pretty as the one in the picture in question. Although the DC-9
would have provided a much more likely vehicle for production. The UDF was
tested back when Pratt was sucking gas, but things have changed since then.