WARNING, ILLEGAL ACTIVITY

Old November 21st 04, 03:29 AM
Jeff Melin

Default WARNING, ILLEGAL ACTIVITY

This past week I received a response to one of my r.a.s.
classified ads, the respondent asked me to accept a
check for 10 times the item value and offered 150%
of the sale price of the item for me to launder the
money through my account and wire it to a third party.
Some quick research indicated this is a large problem
with internet sales and also cautioned sellers that
the cashier's checks tendered are often counterfeit
or can be a means of passing funds illegally. Take
care in these transactions!

Still looking for honest buyers!
Jeff Melin

Old November 21st 04, 05:30 AM
BTIZ

not so much to pass funds illegally.. but to actually get you to cash their
"overage check".. and refund them the difference,.. and then when it is
determined that their check is fake..

you are out the cash.. because it is in their pockets..

this runs along the line of the "Nigerian Scam", or the South Africa Bank
scam..

and has been used locally with people buying cars out of the want ads..

only deal in cash... no checks.. no bank drafts..

BT

Old November 22nd 04, 01:17 PM
Ludovic Launer

Hello

Some quick research indicated this is a large problem
with internet sales and also cautioned sellers that
the cashier's checks tendered are often counterfeit

Interesting...do you have links to sites explaining / reporting this ?

Regards,
Ludovic

Old November 22nd 04, 03:38 PM
F.L. Whiteley

"Ludovic Launer" wrote in message
Hello

Some quick research indicated this is a large problem
with internet sales and also cautioned sellers that
the cashier's checks tendered are often counterfeit

Interesting...do you have links to sites explaining / reporting this ?

Regards,
Ludovic

Many samples. Just search around for Nigerian scam and its variants. A
small used car dealer here in Greeley, Colorado showed me two washed checks
a couple of weeks ago, one a casher's check. Very good and impossible to
tell by the untrained eye. He had them checked before completely the
transaction. He's involved with Autotrader, an online sales service.

No one should accept a cashier's check for anything these days, as it often
takes the banks a minimum of two weeks to clear the checks. The problem is
that a legitimate check is cut and multiple copies are created to complete
several transactions. The check will initially check good with your bank
and the issuing bank and it isn't until the multiple bogus checks arrive at
the issuing bank that the scam is revealed. By then, several people may be
victimized.

Direct wire transfer, escrow services, etc, are much preferred.

Frank

Old November 22nd 04, 06:11 PM
Jeff Melin

This FBI/White Collar Crime website http://www.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp=20
offers discussion and annual reports of various fraud and crime via the =
internet.

Old November 23rd 04, 09:48 AM
Ludovic Launer

Hi,

Thanks for the info...Just as I thought, such an attempt was made to a
friend selling his glider !
It was exactly as described he
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/carsale.asp

And of course, the so-called buyer, wouldn't answer anything concerning his
identity, the place he was flying from, weather conditions in his area, type
of glider he flew before, ...
You really have to be cautious these days...having said that it's still good
to know that it's not a scam within the "gliding community", but coming from
outside.

Cheers,
Ludovic