the Pinckneyville Gathering of the ILK

Old May 23rd 04, 09:42 PM
Snowbird

Default the Pinckneyville Gathering of the ILK

The 401st gathering of the Ilk took place at Pinckneyville
this weekend with thousands in attendence

Oh, wait, wrong website

Those of the Ilk who made it through or around the bad weather
(driving or flying) did meet and gather at Pinckneyville. Tigger
and his family arrived before lunch on Saturday. As I walked
across the ramp, I couldn't help but comment "wow, what beautiful
old airplanes" shortly followed by "wow, what decrepit old
reprobabe pilots".

Oyster owned, that would be him. Rich, as for what Oyster was
doing in Iowa, let's not discuss that in a "family" newsgroup.
Heh, heh. Everyone from points north drove or flew commercial --
just no getting through.

I wish I'd had the chance to talk to the pilot of the other
Stinson -- what a work of art. Other notable planes were the
beautiful acrosport, the RV-4 (that must be a show plane -- it
looks like it's glass), and the Decathalon which provided a
pleasant demo on Saturday. Dan Luke, it was nice to meet you,
thanks for showing me the Magic Weather Machine, and I'm sorry
we didn't get up in Tigger.

Notable by their absence were Nauga's RV-4 (a loud raspberry
to St Louis FSDO for not granting him a waiver), Unka Bob and
his Serendipitous horse, Chuck Slusarc&#@k, and Dave Tate's
plane. OK, Dave well we missed you too. Bourbon, out of annual
is no durned excuse but at least now we know why you're so crabby
lately. I believe your doctor should prescribe a course of
RVotherapy, good for what ails ya.

Thanks to Mary for as usual, fantastic good food produced under
minimalist conditions and to John and Mary for hosting another
Gathering of the Ilk. Thanks, Nauga for hauling our big tent
for us.

Good to see everyone,
Sydney
Old May 23rd 04, 09:54 PM
Dave Hyde

Snowbird wrote:

"wow, what decrepit old reprobabe pilots".

The guys were pretty disreputable too :-)

It was a great time, good to see old friends
and make new ones.

Dave 'Rain Man' Hyde

Old May 24th 04, 03:03 AM
Dave S

Snowbird wrote:
SNIP

Notable by their absence were Nauga's RV-4 (a loud raspberry
to St Louis FSDO for not granting him a waiver),

Pardon my ignorance.. but waiver for WHAT?
Dave

Old May 24th 04, 12:51 PM
Jay Honeck

Heh, heh. Everyone from points north drove or flew commercial --
just no getting through.

You can say *that* again.

We tried. Had the plane (just 24 hours out of annual) back, the staffing at
the inn all set, my daughter set to stay at a friends overnight if need be,
my teenage son mowling all the way -- and then the weather went absolutely
wacky.

We had a nice window of good flying weather -- that lasted about 20 minutes.
We got about 30 miles south of Iowa City, the clouds closed in beneath us,
and towering cumulous clouds were wall-to-wall in the distance.

Amazingly, ADDs and flight service had been calling everything VFR just 10
minutes earlier. Never seen conditions fall apart so fast.

Even if we had made it, we'd probably still be there. The weather has been
just crazy here -- 90 degrees one minute, 50 the next, with massive storms
in between.

Next year for sure!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 24th 04, 01:57 PM
Snowbird

Dave S wrote in message ink.net...
Snowbird wrote:
SNIP

Notable by their absence were Nauga's RV-4 (a loud raspberry
to St Louis FSDO for not granting him a waiver),

Pardon my ignorance.. but waiver for WHAT?

Waiver to fly his experimental, amateur built aircraft outside
its designated test flight area during its 40 hr test flight
period

Old May 24th 04, 01:59 PM
Jay Honeck

will there be any pictures...........

If, so, email 'em to me, and I'll get 'em up on the Rogue's Gallery!

Of course, you may not *want* a permanent record of what transpired...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 24th 04, 02:27 PM
Dave S

Is such a waiver 1) common? 2) appropriate?

I mean.. take a week of vacation and go burn some gas!!

Dave

Snowbird wrote:

Dave S wrote in message ink.net...

SNIP

Old May 24th 04, 03:27 PM
Phil Sisson, Litchfield Aerobatic Club

will there be any pictures...........

Phil

Old May 24th 04, 07:08 PM
Kyler Laird

"Jay Honeck" writes:

Heh, heh. Everyone from points north drove or flew commercial --
just no getting through.

You can say *that* again.

....but it'd still be inaccurate. I had pleasant flights.

--kyler
Old May 24th 04, 09:42 PM
Snowbird

Dave S wrote in message ink.net...
Is such a waiver 1) common? 2) appropriate?

As I understand it, they are common at some FSDOs. For a
well-proven design which is progressing well in its flight
testing, it doesn't seem like a big issue to let the plane
fly over some farmland to visit another mechanic or qualified
pilot or some such.

I mean.. take a week of vacation and go burn some gas!!

Not being Dave, I can't comment on the constraints of his
personal situation.

I will, however, congratulate you on having some combination
of 1) ample vacation time 2) understanding family and 3)
low-pressure job, which would not only allow you to take
your own advice, but keeps you from being able to see that
perhaps "one size doesn't fit all" here.

Cheers,
Sydney