Any details on Nephi incident?

Old June 23rd 18, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

Default Any details on Nephi incident?

So, the first accounts of what may have happened indicate some kind of rudder control failure. Looking forward to the rest of the story....
Old June 23rd 18, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 9:11:16 AM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:
So, the first accounts of what may have happened indicate some kind of rudder control failure. Looking forward to the rest of the story....

Is there a need to get ahead of the story?
UH
Old June 23rd 18, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

Is there a need for secrecy?

Boggs
Old June 23rd 18, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

If I had an Arcus I sure would want to hear more before my next flight.
There were multiple rudder failures over the years, resulting in at least one bail out few years ago, and another almost bail out, due to the cable breaking at the point it exits the rudder pedal. This is an area each pilot should inspect regularly. In other cases the pedals got disengaged from the lock position.
Also if you have a passenger, it is always a good idea to check if they still have control. At least one bail out was prevented in the last moment this way.
Not saying this is what happened, just a reminder of what can and did happen before.
So glad Dave and his passenger are ok. We had enough bad news this year already.

Ramy
Old June 23rd 18, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

Come on Dave, give us the story....

Boggs
Old June 23rd 18, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Hirashima

Someone named Daniel Sazhin posted something about it on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/soarer151/p...16332921178095

"Sorry for not posting yesterday. Dave Nadler's accident took the wind out of my sails. Luckily, he and his passenger parachuted to safety and they are OK! Dave is a bit banged up from his landing, but otherwise discharged from the hospital and okay. The air force kid was totally fine. It seems it was some kind of structural failure, with the rudder control failing in some fashion. Details are quite murky and speculative, but it seems bizarre."
Old June 23rd 18, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

How about we all just tone it down a bit on pressuring for "the scoop". Dave and Spence both went through something pretty traumatic. Put yourself in their shoes. You jumped out of a plane, landed on a rocky slope on the side of a mountain, and were there without shade or water for hours. Now, you have people asking you "What happened?" Heck, it may be weeks before they remember the sequence of events. If you have an Arcus and are now afraid to fly it, well, I would say that is your problem, not Dave's.

Steve Leonard

Old June 23rd 18, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

How about we all just tone it down a bit on pressuring for "the scoop".

Thanks Steve. That really needed to be said.
ROY
Old June 23rd 18, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Agreed......basically my thoughts on my earlier post.
Glad they are basically fine.

I am sure Dave will give info, maybe tempered by official analysis as to NOT make other issues.

Glad they are able to give thoughts later.
The quest for info, or, worse, armchair quarterbacking is not needed now.
Wait for facts.

I believe that is what the "real UH" was alluding to.

As an aside, yes, maybe other Arcus owners need to look at rudder cables......but, this is just speculation at this point.....
Old June 23rd 18, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Friday, June 22, 2018 at 11:24:17 AM UTC-4, Chris wrote:
Is everybody alright?

Has it not occurred to you all that Dave may not know what actually failed,
and is wisely waiting for wreckage to be examined before making a statement?

John F

Going to Nephi? Paul Remde Soaring 6 June 26th 15 05:22 AM
New Video From Nephi and Update on 2014 Nephi Events [email protected] Soaring 1 June 5th 14 03:27 AM
Nephi wrap-up Tim Taylor Soaring 20 February 8th 14 02:28 PM
Nephi, UT Kevin Christner Soaring 4 February 3rd 14 09:18 PM
KS Duo at Nephi Karl Striedieck[_2_] Soaring 0 January 9th 14 02:18 AM