Mythbusters airplane/treadmill video

Old February 1st 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Chris W

Default Mythbusters airplane/treadmill video

Dallas wrote:
In case you missed it, here's the segment on You Tube:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KSBFQOfas60&feature=related

And yet, the debate continues. :- (

The only debate was due to the VERY ambiguous way the scenario was
worded. In that episode, they were very careful to word in a very
unambiguous way. When you remove the ambiguity, it either becomes a
situation where it is obvious that the plane will take off, or a
situation that is physically impossible to achieve. Naturally the myth
busters choose the first scenario.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

"Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm"

Ham Radio Repeater Database.
http://hrrdb.com
Old February 1st 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 21:04:25 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Well, it was a bit of lawn furniture, wasn't it?

Yeah, that's the ticket... it was an awning I was using as shade over the
airplane...
--
Dallas
Old February 1st 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Dallas wrote in
:

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 21:04:25 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Well, it was a bit of lawn furniture, wasn't it?

Yeah, that's the ticket... it was an awning I was using as shade over
the airplane...

OK, you lost me now.

Bertie
Old February 1st 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 1, 12:54*pm, Dallas wrote:
On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 19:28:03 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
The dreaded downwind turn, turning into the dead engine, all those myths
still have their adherents amongst current pilots.

What about agreeing to place your aircraft on top of a very large piece of
fabric, cranking up the engine and firewalling it.

Imagine calling your insurance company trying to explain how a 100 foot
strip of fabric got fouled into your prop.

I'd be surprised if he had insurance on it.

-Robert
Old February 1st 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Jim Logajan wrote:
Dallas wrote:
On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 17:56:47 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Good grief.

Check out the comments at the Mythbusters site.

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode97#comments

"You blew it big time. I am a pilot and I can tell you that the myth
about the airplane conveyor belt is supposed to be confirmed."

He's not a pilot, he's an idiot.

Hey man - it's still a free country and there is no law that says you can't
be both an idiot and a pilot at the same time! ;-)

Hell yeah! If anyone doesn't believe that, ask my wife!!
:-)

--
Dudley Henriques
Old February 1st 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Dallas wrote:
On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 19:28:03 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

The dreaded downwind turn, turning into the dead engine, all those myths
still have their adherents amongst current pilots.

What about agreeing to place your aircraft on top of a very large piece of
fabric, cranking up the engine and firewalling it.

Imagine calling your insurance company trying to explain how a 100 foot
strip of fabric got fouled into your prop.

You know, I watched that thing and this was my only thought as I watched
them set it all up.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old February 2nd 08, 06:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 18:51:44 -0500, Dudley Henriques wrote:

You know, I watched that thing and this was my only thought as I watched
them set it all up.

Oh well, he was dumb enough to think the aircraft wouldn't take off so what
makes you think he'd consider anything more complicated than that?

:- )

--
Dallas
Old February 2nd 08, 07:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 21:45:11 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

OK, you lost me now.

Wow.. that's kinda neat... I befuddled a Bunyip.

--
Dallas
Old February 2nd 08, 09:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Dallas wrote in
:

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 21:45:11 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

OK, you lost me now.

Wow.. that's kinda neat... I befuddled a Bunyip.

Hey, I failed gibberish, what can I say?

Bertie
Old February 2nd 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
PeeCeeElf

I've just posted to another forum on the subject. I think the
Mythbusters demo was completely flawed and didn't address the question
as it was originally asked. Of course the aircraft was going to fly
given the nature of their experiment.

http://tinyurl.com/yt79o5

--
PeeCeeElf