WSI weather?

Old December 2nd 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.owning
Paul kgyy

Default WSI weather?

Every once in a while during a TAP browse I encounter a "WSI" weather
system. I've looked at their site but it seems short on information.

Is this the system that requires the GDL49/69 box to display on a
Garmin screen?

Anybody know about cost compared with XM?
Old December 2nd 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Matt W. Barrow

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
Every once in a while during a TAP browse I encounter a "WSI" weather
system. I've looked at their site but it seems short on information.

TAP or WSI's is short of info?

Is this the system that requires the GDL49/69 box to display on a
Garmin screen?

IIUC, any weather/flight data needs the GDL49/69.

Anybody know about cost compared with XM?

WSI is more known for their online weather briefings. Great stuff in that
regard.

http://www.wsi.com/solutions/aviation/
--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC.

Old December 3rd 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.owning
Paul kgyy

I did eventually find out that the cost and features of their download
appears identical to XM.

Too bad you have to have a $5000 box (I think) to receive it.
Old December 3rd 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Darrel Toepfer

Paul kgyy wrote:

I did eventually find out that the cost and features of their download
appears identical to XM.

Too bad you have to have a $5000 box (I think) to receive it.

I like Bushnell's pricing for subscriptions!!!

Onix400
Introducing the world’s first handheld GPS to combine navigational aids,
satellite photography and XM weather on a single screen. It shows you
the perfect pinchpoint for this wind. And how you should dress for the
day. NEXRAD weather data downlinked via XM Weather, layered over a
georeferenced satellite map of your location keeps you prepared. It’s
all housed in a rubberized defensive armor built to XPX7 waterproof
standards, with a high gain SIRF GPS receiver. In your palm.

http://bushnell.com/gps/gps_onix400.cfm?section=GPS
http://bushnell.com/gps/gps_features_xm_weather.cfm

Subscription Pricing Plans
XM Satellite Radio (only)
$12.95 / month
Less than $0.50 per day!

XM Weather (only)
Price - $9.95

XM Radio & XM Weather
Price - $16.94

And under $500 for the GPS too:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...0151_-1_10001_
97658_200001003_200000000_200001000_200-1-3
Old December 3rd 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Matt W. Barrow

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
I did eventually find out that the cost and features of their download
appears identical to XM.

Too bad you have to have a $5000 box (I think) to receive it.

That $5000 provides something that MX doesn't...by a long shot; approved
weather briefing.

Old December 3rd 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Peter Clark

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 12:14:33 -0700, "Matt W. Barrow"
wrote:

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
I did eventually find out that the cost and features of their download
appears identical to XM.

Too bad you have to have a $5000 box (I think) to receive it.

That $5000 provides something that MX doesn't...by a long shot; approved
weather briefing.

The $5000 WSI in-flight weather box (from what I can tell it's
completely function-equivelant to the Garmin GDL69/69A) is an approved
weather briefing source? Or have I lost the context of this thread
somewhere?
Old December 3rd 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Matt W. Barrow

news
wrote:

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
I did eventually find out that the cost and features of their download
appears identical to XM.

Too bad you have to have a $5000 box (I think) to receive it.

That $5000 provides something that MX doesn't...by a long shot; approved
weather briefing.

The $5000 WSI in-flight weather box (from what I can tell it's
completely function-equivelant to the Garmin GDL69/69A) is an approved
weather briefing source? Or have I lost the context of this thread
somewhere?

If he's talking about the AV300, it's not $5000, even with installation.
It's quite equivalent to the Garmin 69/A.

Pilotbrief Pro, is about $5,000 and provides briefing services.

Old December 3rd 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Peter Clark

wrote:

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
I did eventually find out that the cost and features of their download
appears identical to XM.

Too bad you have to have a $5000 box (I think) to receive it.

That $5000 provides something that MX doesn't...by a long shot; approved
weather briefing.

The $5000 WSI in-flight weather box (from what I can tell it's
completely function-equivelant to the Garmin GDL69/69A) is an approved
weather briefing source? Or have I lost the context of this thread
somewhere?

If he's talking about the AV300, it's not $5000, even with installation.
It's quite equivalent to the Garmin 69/A.

Pilotbrief Pro, is about $5,000 and provides briefing services.

OK, the OP was:

"Every once in a while during a TAP browse I encounter a "WSI" weather
system. I've looked at their site but it seems short on information.

Is this the system that requires the GDL49/69 box to display on a
Garmin screen?

Anybody know about cost compared with XM?"

Since that's in-flight, perhaps Paul was looking at the wrong product
in the WSI price list, since the original query seems to be
specifically about their airborne equipment as found in listings found
on Trade-A-Plane.
Old December 3rd 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Matt W. Barrow

wrote:

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
[...]

Does the TAP ad say it has a Garmin something or other? Usually the WSI
airborne system is use for the AviDyne MFD.

Anybody know about cost compared with XM?"

Since that's in-flight, perhaps Paul was looking at the wrong product
in the WSI price list, since the original query seems to be
specifically about their airborne equipment as found in listings found
on Trade-A-Plane.

WSI in-flight is more typically used with AviDyne and other higher end
avionics like the stuff from Honeywell and Universal. It would be good to
know what the TAP ad's showed regarding the rest of the avionics suite
aboard.

Old December 3rd 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Peter Clark

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 15:49:47 -0700, "Matt W. Barrow"
wrote:

Does the TAP ad say it has a Garmin something or other? Usually the WSI
airborne system is use for the AviDyne MFD.

Anybody know about cost compared with XM?"

Since that's in-flight, perhaps Paul was looking at the wrong product
in the WSI price list, since the original query seems to be
specifically about their airborne equipment as found in listings found
on Trade-A-Plane.

WSI in-flight is more typically used with AviDyne and other higher end
avionics like the stuff from Honeywell and Universal. It would be good to
know what the TAP ad's showed regarding the rest of the avionics suite
aboard.

Not according to WSI.
http://www.wsi.com/aviation/products...t/displays.asp

They seem to be able to display on all sorts of stuff, including
EHSIs, EFBs, laptops, and PDAs.

Strange the King KMD550/850 isn't listed. The Garmin 430/530 and MX20
(GMX200) are though. It doesn't need an Avidyne MFD system like an
SR22 to run.