Turbine to RC transition

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 17th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Turbine to RC transition

I'm not really having a problem with it, I just posted originally because I
saw an easy cheap way to make the lil buggers easier to fly. The other
reason I mentioned my circuit is because there was that fella in here with
helicopter controls rigged to the remote control device. Now that I have a
little experience with the RC thing I can honestly say that his device would
be of little practical value in learning to fly a real one because of the
reversed control issue.

The reason I say that is that unless you totally disconnect the yaw gyro of
the RC and keep the helicopter's tail pointed at the pilot the experience
would share very little in common with a real helicopter, and might even
give you some pretty bad habits that would have to be unlearned. If you used
a circuit like I describe, and disconnect the yaw gyro it would be a lot
more like flying a real one.

The only thing I dont think can really be fixed about the
heli-seat-controller is the fact that the mass of an RC ship is so much less
and the controls are so much more quick and forgiving in the RC. It's much
harder to get behind the power-plant and rotor system in the little RC, if
you behaved similarly in a big chopper you'd overtorque it or get a mast
bump. You might be able to remedy this by putting some fancy software
between the controller and the RC machine though.

One thing about it that just can't be replicated no matter how hard you
tried is that a good portion of hovering flight is done through your
proprioceptive system (aka your ass). I can feel tiny lil G's in my body
that I use unconciously use to correct drift, yaw, and height. The reason I
know this is that I have a damn hard time hovering IGE in Bell's flight
training device when I go for recurrency. The only thing unrealistic about
their simulator is that its not full motion, and you have to fly totally
with your eyes. Because its not a full motion sim, the things its best
suited at training are systems failures and IFR/IMC stuff. They don't ever
try to teach any flight technique in theirs.

Bart

"Steve R" wrote in message
news:EBGag.33475 I had the same problem when I was at your stage. Straight
nose-in wasn't an
issue. That 135 degree point was a total PITA. About the best
explanation I can give is that the model is oriented right at that point
where your brain is trying to decide whether to control it's in normal or
nose-in mode. I remember when I first learned nose-in, I figured that I
could start doing smooth pirouettes now because that was I skill I always
wanted to master. Only to find out that, while I could comfortably fly
tail or nose-in, transitioning between the two, smoothly, was another
matter.

Hang in there, it will come! :-)

Fly Safe,
Steve R.