OT Farthest VHF UHF reception:

Old March 2nd 04, 02:17 AM
WaltBJ

Can't cite an specific example but 'moon-bounce' was first achieved
not too long after 1950. Also, meteor trails can reflect all VHF-plus
signals including TV and FM. Any time you get a momentary reception of
a strange signal it is probably a bounce from such a trail or from a
high altitude airplane. We can get Colorado Springs TV stations from
airplane bounce here 65 miles north of Denver.
Walt BJ
Old March 2nd 04, 02:38 AM
Tex Houston

"WaltBJ" wrote in message
m...
Can't cite an specific example but 'moon-bounce' was first achieved
not too long after 1950. Also, meteor trails can reflect all VHF-plus
signals including TV and FM. Any time you get a momentary reception of
a strange signal it is probably a bounce from such a trail or from a
high altitude airplane. We can get Colorado Springs TV stations from
airplane bounce here 65 miles north of Denver.
Walt BJ

Walt,

Part of that is the location of station antennas on Cheyenne Mountain,
9500'+ but of course most of it is propagation which is why it is art, not
science. I was in my apartment in Spokane Washington once and while
switching TV channels noticed a picture on an unused channel. No sound but
I started watching and the Station break revealed I had just watched about
20 minutes from Waco Texas.

The best I have done on the VHF hamband is getting an answer from a farmer
in his tractor cab in Sidney Nebraska on a local repeater frequency. I was
bringing up both the local repeater and the one in Sidney.

Regards,

Tex Houston