required readback on clearance

Old September 14th 03, 01:09 PM
David Megginson

"Steven P. McNicoll" writes:

If your clearance is (I'm making this part up)

Cessna 87077 cleared to Bakersfield, via Riverside standard DP,
Paradise, dep Paradise on 270 radial, Victor 364, Pomona, as filed.
Expect 10,000 ten minutes after departure, contact Socal on 135.4,
squawk 4224.

What would you be required to readback?

Nothing.

In Canada, you'd be required to read back the transponder code (but
nothing else, since the clearance includes a SID with no altitude
amendment). Practically, I notice that even the airliners always read
back the whole clearance -- it's much easier to work out any
misunderstandings when you're still on the ground.

All the best,

David
Old September 14th 03, 11:44 PM
Ray Andraka

Depends on the local custom. Unless instructed not to, I would read back
everything to make sure there were no mistakes in communication. Some
busy airports, such as Boston Logan request on the ATIS that you read back
only the call sign and squawk code unless there is a question.

wrote:

I flew to an FAA safety seminar tonight at Fullerton,CA KFUL.
Instrument communications. I was surprised at how little you need to
read back.

If your clearance is (I'm making this part up)

Cessna 87077 cleared to Bakersfield, via Riverside standard DP,
Paradise, dep Paradise on 270 radial, Victor 364, Pomona, as filed.
Expect 10,000 ten minutes after departure, contact Socal on 135.4,
squawk 4224.

What would you be required to readback?

Everything right? They said, "077 cleared Bakersfield, squawk 4334."

Surprised me.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

http://www.andraka.com

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old September 15th 03, 02:07 AM
Ray Andraka

In the case of the clearance below:

Cezzna 077 to Bakersfield, Riverside SID, paradise 270 radial, victor 364,
Pomona , as filed. 10 Thousand after 10, 135.4, 4224, over.

Old September 17th 03, 03:44 PM
Peter R.

Ray Andraka ) wrote:

snip
Some
busy airports, such as Boston Logan request on the ATIS that you read back
only the call sign and squawk code unless there is a question.

I have only been to Logan twice now, the most recent being last Monday
around 6:00pm. Neither time did the ATIS state that request.

I am not doubting you, though. Instead, I am wondering if Logan only does
this during extremely busy times, perhaps early morning?

--
Peter

Old September 17th 03, 04:04 PM
Ray Andraka

Could be. Every time I've flown in there (about 20 times over tha past 6 years) that
request had been on the ATIS. Most of the time my visits have been either late
morning or around 5 PM. It has been admittedly about a year since I last flew a
mission (Angel Flight) in there, so it might also have been changed.

Old September 17th 03, 04:33 PM
Peter R.

Ray Andraka ) wrote:

snip
It has been admittedly about a year since I last flew a
mission (Angel Flight) in there, so it might also have been changed.

That's what takes me there, too. If it weren't for AF, I would have never
thought twice about taking a C172 into Logan. It is quite a rush
for me at this stage of my aviation experience to be able to fly in and out
of there.

Since reading your post, though, I will be more alert about the potential
for this abbreviated read-back.

--
Peter