RNAV approaches

Old September 18th 03, 01:49 PM
Kevin Chandler

Default RNAV approaches

I fly a couple of planes which have RNAV equipment installed. I feel very
comfortable using the equipment for the enroute portion of the flight. I
wanted to start flying some RNAV approaches. The closest airport with an
RNAV approach is Connersville, In (CEV). It is the new style RNAV (GPS)
approach. When I started looking over the approach plate for RNAV 18 or
RNAV 36 approach, none of the information required to setup the RNAV is on
the plate. If memory serves me right, the approach plates use to have fixes
identified from the Richmond (RID) VOR. Those no longer appear. It seems
as though the approach is only good if you have the predefined fixes in a
GPS database.

How would you setup the RNAV for either of these approaches if you don't
have the fix information on the approach plate?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Old September 18th 03, 02:45 PM
Peter R.

Kevin Chandler ) wrote:

snip
How would you setup the RNAV for either of these approaches if you don't
have the fix information on the approach plate?

All of those fixes are GPS waypoints (lat/lon). In this approach's case,
you retrieve the approach from the GPS's database (assuming your IFR-
certified GPS has the current database cycle). The waypoints on the
approach are then automatically added in sequence to your flight plan.

When flying the approach, you include the GPS and (if applicable) moving
map in your scan to determine your proximity in NM to the next waypoint.

Setting and flying this type of approach is, IMO and limited E, easier than
a VOR, LOC, or NDB approach.

--
Peter

Old September 18th 03, 02:45 PM
EDR

In article , Kevin Chandler
wrote:
How would you setup the RNAV for either of these approaches if you don't
have the fix information on the approach plate?

You cannot fly a GPS approach with an old style VOR/DME RNAV receiver.
The use of the term RNAV has changed over the past 20 years to include
LORAN and GPS. If it was a VOR/DME approach, the approach plate would
so state at the top. It is a GPS approach, and that is what the
approach plate says.
Old September 18th 03, 06:00 PM

In rec.aviation.ifr EDR wrote:
: You cannot fly a GPS approach with an old style VOR/DME RNAV receiver.
: The use of the term RNAV has changed over the past 20 years to include
: LORAN and GPS. If it was a VOR/DME approach, the approach plate would
: so state at the top. It is a GPS approach, and that is what the
: approach plate says.

There are a few approaches for use with your RNAV. I tried to
find some when I put the KNS-80 RNAV in my plane, but there aren't many.
I found that when they say RNAV, they usually put either (GPS) or
(VOR/DME) in parenthesis after it to clarify. You cannot use a VOR/DME
RNAV for any approach other than one published for it.

Now, that said, it sure makes it nice for quickly dialing up
checkpoints/intersections enroute or for an IAF if it's on the plate.

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *