Cost Per Hour for a PA-31-350

Old June 1st 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Cost Per Hour for a PA-31-350

Anyone know what the cost per hour is for a Chieftain?
Old June 1st 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

You may be able to ball park it by useing 3x the fuel burn. Example:
40??gph fuel burn x $3.80 per gallon x a factor of 3 = $456 per hour
Jim

Old June 2nd 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

So the price of other ownership costs have gone up in line with avgas
inflation?

Old June 2nd 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

It seems like gas is lagging behind the curve compared to parts. Shop labor
seems to be up 20-30% from last year. Our hanger costs haven't gone up, and
our insurance is stable. My 3x figure would just be a ball park figure.
Our Aztec has been running around 2.8x current fuel prices.

Jim

ups.com...

Old June 3rd 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Well, avgas has nearly doubled over the last few years, but have other
costs really increased that much? Around here, at least, the answer
would be no.

Old June 3rd 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jim,

I think your rule of thumb is reasonably accurate. I've never heard that
before. Yes, av fuel has doubled, but as energy price go up so does
everything else with short order.

Thanks,
Kobra

Old June 4th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Yes, av fuel has doubled, but as energy price
go up so does everything else with short order.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. 'Everything else' has self-evidently NOT
doubled in price over the last few years. Any rule of thumb that
estimates overall costs as a multiple of fuel costs cannot be both
right now, and have been right five years ago.

Old June 5th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Nor will it work to compare expenses over various parts of the country. I
think it's more accurate to use it to compare one aircraft to another at the
same location at the same time period, then allow the "x" factor to be a
variable for that time and location only. You still must keep in mind that
it is only a ballpark figure. All other things considered equal,
maintenance and insurance for an A36 would probably be more than for a C182
although they burn about the same amount of fuel. Let's just say that
without any additional info, it's a place to start.