"The doomsday plane

Old September 14th 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Al Dykes

Default "The doomsday plane

In article ,
Dave S wrote:
Leadfoot wrote:

Actually the 747 has numerous back-up power systems. When there is a
problem with electrical generation a load shedding system kicks in. The
first electrical buss to be shedded is the passenger cabins.

Google EMP, or look it up in the WIKI, and understand what it does to
non-protected electrical systems and generating systems then re-visit
your answer. Back ups are no good if they all drop offline from the
original EMP.

The flyboys have been designing systems for EMP and testing them for
~40 years.
--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Old September 14th 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Leadfoot[_2_]

A B-747 can fly with no electricity. I had the opportunity to be aboard
a N-601BN in 1980 when it got hit by lightening over the North Atlantic
one night. We were with out electrical power for about 10 minutes.

Actually the 747 has numerous back-up power systems. When there is a
problem with electrical generation a load shedding system kicks in. The
first electrical buss to be shedded is the passenger cabins.

My guess is that the cockpit and instruments always had electricity and
that most of the problem was the electrical system kicking off to protect
itself. Ten minutes sounds about right for the flight engineer to reset
the system to the point that cabin power could be restored.

Landed with a big black streak down the vertical stabilizer and without
the canooe-sized fairing...

: Google EMP, or look it up in the WIKI, and understand what it does to
: non-protected electrical systems and generating systems then re-visit
: your answer. Back ups are no good if they all drop offline from the
: original EMP.

What does your reply have to do with a civilian 747 suffering from
electrical problems resulting from a lightning strike?

As for the E-4B that plane is throroughly protected from EMP by design.

Use to work at the 747 factory as an avionics technician at one time in my
life.

Your snippage of the post I was replying to has been restored to restore the
intended meaning of my post.

Old September 14th 07, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_2_]

Dave S wrote:
Leadfoot wrote:

Actually the 747 has numerous back-up power systems. When there is a
problem with electrical generation a load shedding system kicks in.
The first electrical buss to be shedded is the passenger cabins.

Google EMP, or look it up in the WIKI, and understand what it does to
non-protected electrical systems and generating systems then re-visit
your answer. Back ups are no good if they all drop offline from the
original EMP.

EMP is much less likely to affect a system that is not powered up.
Besides EMP hardening it seems to me keeping an essential buss back up
off line may be an idea.

In answer to aren't and his snide comment about F-15 escorts dropping
out of the sky; they have EMP hardening.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old September 14th 07, 12:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Only surprising if you're a newsie. *Everything* surprises them.

Ahh yes, the wonders of a BA in journalism, reporting on technology...

Blow dried, on-air, talent, stuffing microphone in your face:
"So, like, this doomsday plane didn't file a flightplan, right? And
in avoiding the plane with no flightplan the controllers accidentally
directed them into the Pentagon, right?"

You:
" Let me explain."

Blow dried, etc., etc. cutting you off in mid word:
"Thank you Mr. You... And there you have it. For CNN this is Vapor
Locks." aside to his camera man: 'jeez dickhead, why didn't you tell
me that Britney was seen driving without her seatbelt. That's pulitzer
prize stuff. Lets go!!!!'

denny

Old September 14th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I have always wished for some reporter to try to interview me like
that. The second they stick the microphone in my face, I will grab it
and look straight into the camera and say, "I have an official
statement to make on this matter" and promptly stick the microphone
down the back of my pants, fart loudly, pull the microphone out and
hand it back to the reporter, smile into the camera and wink one eye,
then turn around and walk away without saying a further word.

Old September 14th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Gatt wrote:
CNN article on "The Doomsday Plane"

Cool.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...tery.plane.CNN

-c

Seems to me no BFD...New York gets attacked and and E-4 launches so there is
some backup C&C in the D.C. area.

Old September 14th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sep 14, 9:33 am, wrote:
I have always wished for some reporter to try to interview me like
that. The second they stick the microphone in my face, I will grab it
and look straight into the camera and say, "I have an official
statement to make on this matter" and promptly stick the microphone
down the back of my pants, fart loudly, pull the microphone out and
hand it back to the reporter, smile into the camera and wink one eye,
then turn around and walk away without saying a further word.

Wow, you can really fart on command? At any time? That's talent!

Old September 14th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sep 14, 10:57 am, wrote:

Wow, you can really fart on command? At any time? That's talent!

Not really talent... I just eat a lot of tex-mex fast food.