Gasohol

Old June 5th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Default Gasohol

Hit my thought right on the head! This crap is absolutely amazing. Hard to

believe that there is any way this stuff is
called 'gasoline.' Interesting what definitions pop up when you do a web

search for 'gasoline definition'. I see the
hydrocarbon bit by most, but there are now 'states' changing the

definition to include the gasohol definition also...

sheeze.....

The really interesting thing is that "we" keep electing those guys...

Old June 5th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
David Lesher

"Morgans" writes:

How sure are we that the gasohol in service station tanks contain no water?

I can assure you they will. When a pipeline delivers a tender [batch]
of gasoline into storage tankage; they let it sit for a while, then
drain the bottom of the tank ("water-draw") until they get gas...

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old June 5th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Barnyard BOb

"Roger (K8RI)" wrote:

I never drain the tanks on my lawn morwer, snow blower, yard tractor,
or push lawn mower. I've never seen car gas break down even after
several years.

For decades, old leftover mogas ALWAYS worked fine for me too.
Then came a Spring season when my lawn mower refused to start.
The cause was... old flat gas. It even smelled weird/stale.
Didn't hardly wanna' burn with a match.

After draining/replacing the old gas with fresh, all was well.

-Barnyard BOb-
Old June 5th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Not looking for water, we're looking for alcohol...

Actually many of us are curious about each, and some of use would be
interested to know both.

That is the supposed beauty of Alka Seltzer, is that it fizzes on both
water *and* alcohol...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 5th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Don Tuite

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 18:15:55 -0700, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

Aqua (as in "water") Aquatec test strips check for WATER, not alcohol.
Google Alcohol Test Strip and you get a million hits on how to test for
booze on the breath, but not a word about gasahol. Google Gasahol Test
Strip and you come up with nothing usable.

Um . . . yeah. I missed the part where the thread morphed from
"sticking" the tanks at the gas station.

Don
Old June 5th 07, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Roger (K8RI)" wrote)
What I have seen is the stuff evaporate in the carburetors and leave a
shelac. However I always turn off the gas and run the carbs dry. The
next season I turn the gase on, wait a few minutes, prime and pull.
They usually start on the first pull.

I would run Dad's snowblower a couple-three-four times per summer.

1. Mother's Day. Run the snowblower out in driveway. Yes, rev it up some.

2. Put in about a 1/2 quart of fresh gas. (It was run dry the last time)

3. Repeat around The 4th, again in September/October, and again before
Thanksgiving.

4. Do something else while the snowblower was running. Front "step" with a
beer often got the vote.

5. I tried all the other stuff. I liked this method best ...for the
snowblower.
(I think the idea of running the snowblower, in shorts and a t-shirt, was
the real appeal to this method)

Montblack
The boat - I did the fogging oil routine, emptied the carbs and filters,
blew out the lines, sloshed the 6 gallon tanks with straight oil, etc.

Old June 5th 07, 07:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("David Lesher" wrote)
I can assure you they will. When a pipeline delivers a tender [batch] of
gasoline into storage tankage; they let it sit for a while, then drain the
bottom of the tank ("water-draw") until they get gas...

At the Brewery (in the 80's) during beer changes, there were these sight
glasses in the lines - at the valves. We'd flush out the line with water,
watch the sight glass ...when we saw bubbles or a definite color change,
we'd wait a few seconds then throw the valve. The water in the line was
pumped out onto the floor, and/or "dumped" with a few spins of the bowl
(a.k.a. the filler).

Montblack

Old June 5th 07, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
mike regish

I ran out of gas twice with my latest vehicle. I had it before the gasohol
change and I knew where it ran out because I intentionally ran it out while
I was carrying gas for the plane. Since gasohol, I've run out twice well
above the empty mark set before.

Had to shake the car some to get it going when I put gas in, too.

mike

"Bryan Martin" wrote in message
With gasohol, the gas stations no longer have to bother draining out the
accumulated water from their tanks. The small amount of water that
condenses out in the tanks simply dissolves into the next load of
gasohol that gets poured into the tank and you pump a little bit of it
into your car every time you fill up. Of course, if you get too much
water in the gas, it settles out to the bottom of the tank and takes all
the alcohol with it. You end up with a mixture at the bottom that won't
burn worth a damn and the rest of the gasoline with a much reduced
octane rating.

Old June 5th 07, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Morgans" wrote:

"Cubdriver" wrote

Well, the alky presumably was shipped in full tanks / barrels /
whatever, so we can hope it's undiluted.

But, it is _very_ difficult (it takes some expensive chemistry tricks) to
get all of the water distilled out of alcohol, in other words, stronger than
around 98% alcohol. Is that all the alky producers go for, or do they use
the expensive tricks to get the last two percentage points of water out of
the alky?

I doubt that they would go for the expensive tricks, since the alcohol
will absorb moisture out of the air and from the bottom of the fuel
tanks as soon as it contacts either. There is no point in trying for
higher purity.
Old June 5th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

Call up Sportys and tell them you need an MSDS for it.

"Tri-Pacer" wrote in message
. ..
Sportys used to sell a test kit that contained a chemical that would turn
purple if added to a fuel sample that was gasahol.

I have no idea of what the chemical was. It was a very easy to test the
fuel. They claim that their supplier no longer exists. I bought a bunch of
the kits and have about 1/2 a vial of the chemical left.

I sure would like to know what the reagent is that was used.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A

Gasohol Blueskies Piloting 240 July 6th 07 12:42 AM
Gasohol Blueskies Owning 233 June 30th 07 03:50 AM
How scary is gasohol? Charles Talleyrand Owning 27 March 1st 04 11:39 AM