ANOTHER airspace incursion in D.C.?

Old November 11th 03, 01:29 AM
Jay Honeck

Default ANOTHER airspace incursion in D.C.?

Over on the Cherokee Chat page people are talking about yet ANOTHER
incursion into the restricted airspace around D.C. by a Spam Can driver
today.

Anyone got any details on this?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 11th 03, 01:33 AM
Ron Natalie

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:2YWrb.164308$HS4.1330633@attbi_s01...
Over on the Cherokee Chat page people are talking about yet ANOTHER
incursion into the restricted airspace around D.C. by a Spam Can driver
today.

Anyone got any details on this?

Not anything credible. It's hard to say from the news reports just exactly what
happened. Typical press loosey-goosey with the terminology. I suspect he
busted the FRZ, since ADIZ busts happen more frequently without making the
news. Nobody has coughed up any credible rumors about just exactly what
happened.

Old November 11th 03, 01:38 AM
Jay Honeck

Not anything credible.

Here's the poop from AOPA:
*********************************
Washington ADIZ incursion causes alert
AOPA reminds pilots of obligations, tools to avoid incursions
Nov. 10 - Air National Guard fighter pilots on Monday intercepted a general
aviation aircraft that had violated the no-fly zone at the heart of the
Baltimore-Washington Air Defense Identification Zone, determined that the
aircraft posed no threat, and escorted the pilot out.

"While we don't yet know why the aircraft strayed into the ADIZ, the system
worked as designed," said AOPA President Phil Boyer. "Air traffic
controllers identified a potential threat. The military responded with
appropriate force and appropriate restraint and, after determining that the
pilot posed no threat, escorted him out of the ADIZ and let him go on his
way."

What convinced the fighter pilots that it was an inadvertent incursion was
apparently that the GA pilot saw and complied with their intercept signals.
[The AOPA Air Safety Foundation has prepared an intercept procedures card
(requires Adobe Acrobat Reader).]

AOPA continues to remind pilots that it is their obligation to know about
and avoid all flight-restricted areas. And the association has been
extraordinarily proactive in providing pilots with the tools and information
they need to do so, including the new AOPA Real Time Flight Planner, which
provides up-to-minute graphical depictions of temporary flight restriction
(TFR) locations.

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 11th 03, 01:41 AM
Ron Natalie

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message news
Some info on the AOPA site.

Of course the AOPA touts their realtime TFR tracker. But this isn't even (anymore) a temporary
restriction. Of course can't convince NACO to chart the blasted thing. NACO's excuse: they
can't chart a temporary airspace. This is doubly wrong because in addition to not being temproary,
they've charted temporary airspace in the past. We had a special purple dot version of the DC
sectional and TAC chart back when we had the prelim rounds of the olympic soccer matches at
several venues in the area.

Old November 11th 03, 05:28 AM
Jay Honeck

You've just got to wonder how long it will be until the Feds actually lock
up one of these idiots. I mean, c'mon -- I live in Iowa, some 800 miles
away, and even I am familiar with the existence of an ADIZ around D.C. What
the hell is wrong with these guys?

Their amateurish behavior is making all pilots look like fools. Sooner or
later the national security apparatus is going to take action -- and I can
almost guarantee it will be an action that none of us wants to see...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 11th 03, 01:54 PM
Roger Long

They will soon. There is item on Avweb that the TSA Fed heads are pushing
for mandatory criminal sentencing for incursions.

--
Roger Long

Old November 11th 03, 02:25 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:Kr_rb.167477$Tr4.452146@attbi_s03...
You've just got to wonder how long it will be until the Feds actually lock
up one of these idiots. I mean, c'mon -- I live in Iowa, some 800 miles
away, and even I am familiar with the existence of an ADIZ around D.C. What
the hell is wrong with these guys?

They're probably from Iowa. Not all pilots are as well versed as most of us
who hang out here are. The Flight Circus Stations (with the possible exception
of Leesburg) are woefully stupid about the ADIZ as well. It took a while for
even Altoona (which is about 100 miles north of DC and frequently takes the
spill over calls for Leesburg) to understand what the ADIZ was.

Their amateurish behavior is making all pilots look like fools. Sooner or
later the national security apparatus is going to take action -- and I can
almost guarantee it will be an action that none of us wants to see...

Actually, it's working more or less as planned. The ADIZ/FRZ can't keep anybody
out. The idea was to limit the traffic there to amounts that were manageable to
intercept.

Old November 11th 03, 02:27 PM
Ron Natalie

"Roger Long" om wrote in message
They will soon. There is item on Avweb that the TSA Fed heads are pushing
for mandatory criminal sentencing for incursions.

Violation of the FAR's is not a crime however (at least not federally). They're going
to need some legislation to back that up.

Actually, every violation is being pursued. It's even worse than the typical FAA
stance (typically, the FAA believes that no investigation is successful unless it
results in an enforcement action, the fact that the accused may be innocent is
deemed as a failure).

Old November 11th 03, 02:31 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:54:56 GMT, "Roger Long"
om wrote in
There is item on Avweb that the TSA Fed heads are pushing
for mandatory criminal sentencing for incursions.

How will that enhance security?