foldable bike

Old July 10th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Pascal

Default foldable bike

Hello,

I'm about to buy a bike and am interested in a "foldable" bike.
I do not own a plane, just use a rental ( Cessna 172 SP ).

Has anyone thought about getting one of these to fit on the backseat of
172 ?
The one I found here : http://www.digitalgiftstore.com/th-367-r.html
is about 45 pounds and 32" X 32" X 34" folded

Any other suggestions or comments ?

Thank you
Old July 11th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Pascal wrote:
Hello,

I'm about to buy a bike and am interested in a "foldable" bike.
I do not own a plane, just use a rental ( Cessna 172 SP ).

Has anyone thought about getting one of these to fit on the backseat of
172 ?
The one I found here : http://www.digitalgiftstore.com/th-367-r.html
is about 45 pounds and 32" X 32" X 34" folded

Any other suggestions or comments ?

Thank you

45 pounds is not light. However, the price ($150) is decidedly cheap
for a bike of this sort. I have one of these:
http://www.bazookasports.com/viewpro...1&product=2608

I paid $325 from an online dealer - but that was before they jacked the
price up to match the other vendors out there. Now they ask $500 - $600
for them - but you can often buy one on eBay for $400 or so. Bazooka
also makes steel frame bikes of similar design for
considerably less money. I'm satisfied with mine - but is it worth the
extra bucks? I'd
have to make a side-by-side comparison to know for sure.

David Johnson

Old July 11th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

The one I found here : http://www.digitalgiftstore.com/th-367-r.html
is about 45 pounds and 32" X 32" X 34" folded

Speaking as someone who just about broke my back shoe-horning two
full-sized mountain bikes into the back of my Cherokee 235 this evening
(my son and I are going airplane camping Wednesday), I'll be VERY
interested in reading any PIREPs on this bike.

The price is certainly right.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 11th 06, 06:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack[_1_]

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
Speaking as someone who just about broke my back shoe-horning two
full-sized mountain bikes into the back of my Cherokee 235 this evening
(my son and I are going airplane camping Wednesday), I'll be VERY
interested in reading any PIREPs on this bike.

My money is on ...the teenager, making it out of the forest - alive! :-)

Montblack

Old July 11th 06, 10:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Pascal,

The one I found here : http://www.digitalgiftstore.com/th-367-r.html
is about 45 pounds and 32" X 32" X 34" folded

Wow, that one is big! Normally, folding bikes used for GA planes have
16 inch wheels. Dahon seems to be a well-liked manufacturer.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 11th 06, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brad[_1_]

Pascal wrote:
Hello,

I'm about to buy a bike and am interested in a "foldable" bike.
I do not own a plane, just use a rental ( Cessna 172 SP ).

Has anyone thought about getting one of these to fit on the backseat of
172 ?
The one I found here : http://www.digitalgiftstore.com/th-367-r.html
is about 45 pounds and 32" X 32" X 34" folded

Any other suggestions or comments ?

Thank you

To piggyback on this request, I'm looking for pireps on the Montague
Paratrooper model folding bike. I saw a lower end Montague bike in a
boating store but I was wondering if anyone had experience with this
model.

http://www.montaguebikes.com/productpara.html

Old July 11th 06, 12:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
tom418[_1_]

Tom, I've owned a Dahon FMB 21 "Mountain Gold" since 1992. It's also a 26"
model. Fitting it into my Seneca has been no problem. Nice for taking to
Martha's Vineyard and riding the bike paths there.

Lately, I've been leaving it assembled in my garage, and
have been riding it locally
Pascal,

Old July 11th 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

On 2006-07-10, Pascal wrote:
Hello,

I'm about to buy a bike and am interested in a "foldable" bike.
I do not own a plane, just use a rental ( Cessna 172 SP ).

snip
Any other suggestions or comments ?

You can fit a normal bike in the back of a Cessna 172 quite easily -
there's quite a lot of space once you pull the front seats forward into
normal 'flying' position. I stuck my standard road bike in the back of
one once. We've also fit two mountain bikes in the back of an S-35
Bonanza. You just need to take the wheels off (quick release wheels are
an obvious advantage here)

Old July 11th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:
The one I found here : http://www.digitalgiftstore.com/th-367-r.html
is about 45 pounds and 32" X 32" X 34" folded

Speaking as someone who just about broke my back shoe-horning two
full-sized mountain bikes into the back of my Cherokee 235 this evening
(my son and I are going airplane camping Wednesday), I'll be VERY
interested in reading any PIREPs on this bike.

The price is certainly right.

Well come on out here to our annual work party in the Wilderness. You
are not allowed to have bikes in the wilderness so that problem is solved.

Old July 11th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

FWIW Consumer Reports had ratings of foldable bikes this month.
Can't remember the details but I do know that the Brompton (mentioned)
or however you spell it was the highest rated (also highest price).
Best value was one that was 1/2 the cost (3-5lbs heavier and I can't
remember the name).