Spaceship One Makes Successful Flight One of Two

Old September 29th 04, 04:51 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Default Spaceship One Makes Successful Flight One of Two

I just noticed on Yahoo News that a few minutes ago Spaceship One
successfully made the first of the two flights it needs to make to win the X
Prize. The plan is for the second flight to be made on Monday.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

Old September 29th 04, 05:18 PM
Michael 182

videos:

http://xprize.primary.net/index.php

Old September 29th 04, 06:50 PM
B Lacovara

Just talked with some folks onsite… While the flight was successful,
apparently it was not a piece of cake, with a couple of dozen uncommanded rolls
on the ascent.

Bob

Old September 29th 04, 06:57 PM
John Harlow

Bob Chilcoat wrote:
I just noticed on Yahoo News that a few minutes ago Spaceship One
successfully made the first of the two flights it needs to make to
win the X Prize. The plan is for the second flight to be made on
Monday.

Did it count? It only carried the pilot.

VERY cool though!

Old September 29th 04, 07:35 PM
Ron Natalie

"John Harlow" wrote in message ...
Bob Chilcoat wrote:
I just noticed on Yahoo News that a few minutes ago Spaceship One
successfully made the first of the two flights it needs to make to
win the X Prize. The plan is for the second flight to be made on
Monday.

Did it count? It only carried the pilot.

I believe the X Prize allows one human and two appropriately weighted
dummies. I was going to look it up for sure, but the XPrize website seems
to be crumbling under the load today.

Old September 29th 04, 07:39 PM
john smith

When asked about it, Melville said he thinks he stepped on something.

B Lacovara wrote:
Just talked with some folks onsite=E2=80=A6 While the flight was succes=

sful,
apparently it was not a piece of cake, with a couple of dozen uncommand=

ed rolls
on the ascent.=20
=20
Bob
=20
=20

Old September 29th 04, 07:46 PM
Robert Briggs

John Harlow wrote:
Bob Chilcoat wrote:

I just noticed on Yahoo News that a few minutes ago Spaceship One
successfully made the first of the two flights it needs to make to
win the X Prize. The plan is for the second flight to be made on
Monday.

Did it count? It only carried the pilot.

The rules require two passengers *or* the ballast equivalent
thereof, so a sack or three of spuds would do.
Old September 29th 04, 08:16 PM
Ron Natalie

"Robert Briggs" wrote in message ...
John Harlow wrote:
Bob Chilcoat wrote:

I just noticed on Yahoo News that a few minutes ago Spaceship One
successfully made the first of the two flights it needs to make to
win the X Prize. The plan is for the second flight to be made on
Monday.

Did it count? It only carried the pilot.

The rules require two passengers *or* the ballast equivalent
thereof, so a sack or three of spuds would do.

....or one Jim Campbell.

Old September 29th 04, 08:49 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Ron Natalie wrote:

I believe the X Prize allows one human and two appropriately weighted
dummies. I was going to look it up for sure, but the XPrize website seems
to be crumbling under the load today.

The blurb on the AOPA site says that the X Prize allows this and that that is what
they did.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old September 29th 04, 09:00 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"John Harlow" wrote in message

Did it count? It only carried the pilot.

The X Prize requires space for three people but not that it carry three
people. A pilot and the equivalent ballast of two people is sufficient for
a qualifying flight.