Airsickness

Old January 13th 05, 11:51 PM
Jim Kelly

Thanks everyone for all of your kind advice, including to those
who replied off-line . . much appreciated indeed.

Thanks Roy for summarising the reasons for airsickness:
"Airsickness is usually caused by the discordance between
what the body senses visually compared to what the inner ear is
sensing in terms of motion. If the inner ear signals movement
but the eyes register no movement then the result is sensory
discord leading to nausea etc. The problem becomes even more
complex if the movement is not being created or anticipated by
the person experiencing it."

Hence, the adages of:
* "keep looking at the horizon" and
* "it's worse when someone else is in control".

Others noted:
"minimise head movements"
"avoid swapping thermalling direction"
"try and visualize the motion in my mind (when unable to look)"

Updates and links to my earlier summary are noted below:

* Hydration . . gauge this by watching urine colour

* Oxygen may help

* Ginger is a natural anti-emetic
Raw ginger boiled into drinking water
Candied Ginger and Gingersnaps
Ginger powder (from the grocery store) loaded into gelatin
capsules and taken before flight.
http://gingerpeople.com/order_chews.html

* Woodside Biomedical ReliefBand
(electrically stimulates the median nerve)
http://www.aeromedix.com/?_siteid=ae...n=sku&sku=rbel

* An over-the-counter "drug" which has no systemic effect
and is therefore okay in the FAA's eyes. It's called Emetrol
(phosphorated carbohydrates) and comes as a sweet syrup.
It is a formula based on the traditional use of Coke syrup as a
nausea treatment (back in the days when soda fountains actually
used the stuff). Dosage is one teaspoon per hour, and some people
find it helpful.

* Scopolomine

* Acupuncture needles are applied to the inside of the wrist to
stimulate the median nerve. This stimulation seems to block the
nausea reflex for reasons which are still not entirely clear.

* So-called "acupressure bands" have started appearing in pilot
shops and catalogs. These are elastic bands with protrusions that
apply pressure to the wrist, supposedly to stimulate the median
nerve in the fashion of acupuncture.

* Try colloidal silver - it works very well I have had 8 tumours
plus one lipoma out each year for last 3 years.
http://www.colloidalsilver.net.au/feedback.htm .

* Get your Thyroid levels checked - that was the cause of my
motion sickness and tumours. I did not throw up but felt ill.

* Take a look at www.motionease.com -
On their website they say: Motion Eaze vertigo medication,
motion sickness remedy and sea sickness remedy includes
a proprietary blend of herbal oils including; Birch,
Chamomile, Frankincense, Lavender, Myrrh, Peppermint and
Ylang-Ylang.

These comments are simply a summary of other people's ideas, they
may not be suitable or wise advice, however I am sure that there
is good advice amongst it. Use with due care! And thanks again to
those who contributed.

Regards,

Jim Kelly

Old January 14th 05, 12:03 AM
Jim Kelly

Oops, I overlooked these:

"Sometimes I will take two Pepto-Bismol tablets before take off.
The only problem with them is they tend to stuff me up."

"I use Sea-Band wrist bands which apply accu-pressure to the
wrists . . . they work for me".

Jim

Old January 14th 05, 05:11 AM
Nyal Williams

Several years ago a yachting magazine had an article
about this subject. The ideas expressed there said
that bitters settle the stomach and help with seasickness.
The writer reviewed about a dozen kinds and and concluded
that Fernet Branca was the very best. I searched and
searched for this for my wife but never found it myself.
A friend located it in a liquor store in NY and brought
me a big bottle. It is astringent and it does settle
the stomach in other situations; I never get airsick,
but I have been seasick. I did not get to test it
under these conditions, but a tablespoonful is helpful
with an ordinary gastric upset just as coca-cola and
ginger are. The reviewer did not mention Angostura
bitters, but I find that also helpful with gastric
upset.

Bitters contain alcohol and a tablespoonful might not
be acceptable to the FAA nor wise to ingest before
flying as PIC.

At 01:00 14 January 2005, Jim Kelly wrote:
[...]

http://www.aeromedix.com/?_siteid=ae...815c2aa034ed6a
4884e631140549c1ab&action=sku&sku=rbel

Old January 14th 05, 07:17 AM
Jim Kelly

Thanks Nyal. Seems there are many drugs, etc, that suit 'ill'
people who can rest. Our role as PIC is more difficult.

It is likely that the answer will come from the folks dealing
with the trauma following various cancer treatments, some of
whose patients will have had enough drugs and be looking for a
natural solution.

Curiously, nothing has been mentioned here about the ear as a
focal point. Blocked tubes, etc?

For me - perhaps the problem was trying to stop a strong urge to
always turn one way (forcing myself to turn the opposite way). As
well as it being unsettling, I am sure my flying is more untidy
this way too, probably contributing even more . . .

It is astonishing how many glider pilots have told me that they
are affected with airsickness from time to time. Seems I'm not
alone in this regard!

Cheers,

Jim Kelly.

"Nyal Williams" wrote
in message ...
Several years ago a yachting magazine had an article
about this subject. The ideas expressed there said
that bitters settle the stomach and help with seasickness.
The writer reviewed about a dozen kinds and concluded

Old January 14th 05, 10:31 PM
Nyal Williams

Jim, the most famous of these was Philip Wills. He
detailed it in his first book, 'On Being a Bird.'

Which way do you prefer turning? Some people prefer
turning to the right and I believe it is because they
are taken to a thermal, turn right pro forma, and begin
thermalling.

This preference is exacerbated because it is a bit
easier to push opposite aileron slightly (as usually
required in a thermal to prevent over banking) than
it is to exert a constant slight pull to prevent overbanking
in a left turn.

After breaking myself from this tendency I found myself
back in it. I thought that the right wing was being
lifted by thermals and therefore turned right. Come
to find out, my left wing is slightly heavier or else
the rigging is slightly askew and the glider tends
to want to turn left as a result. (It is very subtle
and I didn't notice it at first.)

Head movements while turning can cause disorientation.
Several papers have been written on this. I do believe
that if this was caused, as you say, by trying to turn
a different way, you will adapt and become accustomed
to turning in the other direction. The sensations
are different; they are much more pronounced in side-by-side
seating.

At 08:00 14 January 2005, Jim Kelly wrote:
[...]

'Nyal Williams' wrote
in message ...

Old January 17th 05, 02:52 AM
Jim Kelly

Hi Nyal

I'd be interested to read Philip's accounts! I understand that he
was a marvellous early glider pilot (etc).

For the record, I am right handed and am much more comfortable
turning to the right . . .

Perhaps I should limit my retraining to shorter flights with less
stress than crosscountry until I balance my preferences!

Thanks for your trouble, once again. Much appreciated.

Jim Kelly

"Nyal Williams" wrote
in message ...