Airsickness

Old January 10th 05, 02:20 AM
Jim Kelly

Default Airsickness

Greetings!

I have been plagued by airsickness. Struggled with it during
training but the flights were short and it did go away to some
extent, especially when I made a point of eating fresh ginger
daily.

Now that I am attempting longer flights it is bugging me again.
It seriously spoils the fun and is no doubt dangerous especially
at it's onset due to it's effect on concentration level. It
clearly has something to do with the ear as it seems to be
associated with odd feelings there and the vario volume level
waning (and lots of yawning which seems to clear this).

Google research brings up ideas under these general areas:

* Hydration (already do this well)

* Oxygen

* Ginger is a natural anti-emetic
Candied Ginger and Gingersnaps
Ginger powder (from the grocery store) loaded into gelatin
capsules and taken before flight.

* Woodside Biomedical ReliefBand (electrically stimulates the
median nerve)
http://www.aeromedix.com/?_siteid=ae...n=sku&sku=rbel

* An over-the-counter "drug" which has no systemic effect
and is therefore okay in the FAA's eyes. It's called Emetrol
(phosphorated carbohydrates) and comes as a sweet syrup.
It is a formula based on the traditional use of Coke syrup as a
nausea treatment (back in the days when soda fountains actually
used the stuff). Dosage is one teaspoon per hour, and some people
find it helpful.

* Acupuncture needles are applied to the inside of the wrist to
stimulate the median nerve. This stimulation seems to block the
nausea reflex for reasons which are still not entirely clear.

* So-called "acupressure bands" have started appearing in pilot
shops and catalogs. These are elastic bands with protrusions that
apply pressure to the wrist, supposedly to stimulate the median
nerve in the fashion of acupuncture.

Anyone able to share any ways that they have conquered this
curse??

Many thanks,

Jim Kelly

Old January 10th 05, 02:53 AM
Mal.com

ginger beer, ginger ale, ginger chews,
http://gingerpeople.com/order_chews.html

drink lots of water hydration urine colour color clear ?
what about your diet ?
and Beer or wine ?

Try colloidal silver works very well I have had 8 tumours plus one lipoma
out each year for last 3 years.

http://www.colloidalsilver.net.au/feedback.htm .

Get your Thyroid levels checked that was the cause of my motion sickness and
tumours I did not throw up but felt ill.

Ginger and motion sickness...
Why is ginger ale served on airplanes? Many studies have shown that ginger
eases motion sickness and aids digestion. Commission E (a panel of experts
appointed by the German equivalent of the FDA and considered to be the world's
most reliable source on herbal remedies) recommends consuming ginger to
prevent motion sickness. In one study reported in The Lancet, ginger
capsules were more effective than Dramamine in reducing motion sickness
induced by a revolving chair. It's no coincidence that ginger ale, as a
soothing beverage, has been served on the airlines nearly since the
beginning of commercial aviation. Today, more chefs in the travel industry
(airlines and cruise ships) are appreciating ginger's curative powers and
incorporating it into many dishes, from sauces to desserts. As a flavour,
ginger adds a clean freshness of its own while lifting the other flavours in
a recipe. If you are a member of a commercial test kitchen or are a
manufacturer who supplies the travel industry, please call or email us for
working samples.

http://gingerpeople.com/health.html

good luck Jim.

Mal

u...

Old January 10th 05, 04:39 PM
Bruno

I am in the boat business and ran across a product at a boat show.
After doing research on it, I found that many of the boating magazines
rave about it. I do not sell this. I took it on a cruise for the
initial test and saw first hand that it helped 6-7 people, a few who
were already puking and the rest very close to losing their lunch.
They said they felt 90-100% better. I can't wait to try it more on the
people I give glider rides to. Take a look at www.motionease.com -
again, I have nothing to do with this product and only became a
believer after I saw it work.

On their website they say: Motion Eaze vertigo medication, motion
sickness remedy and sea sickness remedy includes a proprietary blend of
herbal oils including; Birch, Chamomile, Frankincense, Lavender, Myrrh,
Peppermint and Ylang-Ylang.

Bruno
http://phoebus.vassel.com

Old January 10th 05, 05:49 PM

Jim: I know of a remedy that REALLY works, (years of experience in
ocean voyaging), and is based on NASA space research, but I am
reluctant to discuss it in a public forum for reasons that I will make
known to you if you email me at:
Regards,

Matt

Old January 10th 05, 06:17 PM

Sorry --- didn't realize the new format disguises email addresses:
matt(at)takestockphotos dot com

Old January 10th 05, 06:37 PM
tango4

If he lets the secret out it'll kill a whole industry selling snake oil to
cure motion sickness!!!

Ian

Old January 10th 05, 08:02 PM
John Galloway

Consider:

http://www.reliefband.com/main.html

Cinnarizine is the most effective treatment I have
used but, like all anti-emetics, it is a little too
sedative to recommend for use in flight. Of the non-medicinal
remedies Relief Bands are the only things that really
have any benefit for me. I have never been sick while
using them although I have occasionally had longs spells
of queasiness as P2 in a 2 seater. This is more positive
than it sounds as previously, throughout 50+ years
of motion sickness, if I ever started to feel nauseated
I would inevitably vomit. As P1 I have never been
in the slightest nauseated while using the Relief Bands.

John Galloway

Old January 10th 05, 09:16 PM
Edward Lockhart

At 19:30 10 January 2005, Tango4 wrote:
If he lets the secret out it'll kill a whole industry
selling snake oil to
cure motion sickness!!!

Ian

A reasonable assumption but I'm betting pharmaceutical
(for NASA researchers) dope; not available on prescription
but still easily purchased in your local neighbourhood.

It's been many, many years but as I remember it you
want to fill your stomach, not empty it.

Come on Matt, you can't post teasers like this on newsgroups
without us uninformed rabble speculating wildly.

Ed.

ps. I have a lot of respect for NASA and their achievements
and sacrifices over the years but, all of a sudden,
I can't help wondering whether a bong would work in
zero G.

Old January 10th 05, 10:37 PM
Roy Bourgeois

It's strange to not see in this thread the most basic information about
this problem. Airsickness is usually caused by the discordance between
what the body senses visually compared to what the inner ear is sensing in
terms of motion. If the inner ear signals movement but the eyes register
no movement then the result is sensory discord leading to nausea etc. The
problem becomes even more complex if the movement is not being created or
anticipated by the person experiencing it. This is why the rear seat
passenger of an automobile becomes carsick - but a driver almost never
does. The driver is looking outside and anticipating the movement. The
rear seat passenger has a very reduced outside view (or is usually looking
inside) and not creating the movement. Hence the p1 vs.p2 experience where
we become airsick as passengers but not as PICs.

The same occurs on a boat. On deck seasickness it is rarely a problem -
but below deck (where there is no visual movement) watch out!

For the pilot prone to airsickness this means at all times he should work
to keep his/her head still (to reduce inner ear movement) and keep eyes out
of the glider. Watching the instruments, looking at at the floor or a map
will bring on the nausea quickly.

If you disagree, try the following experiment that I use with my students
to teach the symptoms of vertigo: In a 2 place ship with a safety pilot
keeping a lookout, put the glider in a moderate bank and stare at the
outboard wing tip in the turn. Keep staring. Keep turning. The combination
of G force from the turn with no visual input is very physically upsetting.
Oh - and bring a barf bag.

Roy

Old January 11th 05, 06:50 AM

Oh no, an other ex-military that bought the whole load of B.S. about
motion sickness being psychologically induced. I am a glider pilot
that is more at home in the air than on the ground and after 15 years
of flying and thousands of miles of cross country I can still get air
sick. Am I nervous, anxious, worried? NO! It is the getting knocked
around by rough unpredictable conditions that causes it.

Jim,

Don't let any of the ex-military bimbos try to convince you it is all
in your head, they have been fed a line of B.S. for years and don't
know or won't accept the truth. I have had several others try to
tell me or others that it is psychological when we discuss the problem
of motion sickness. Many of the pilots I know that deal with the
problem are not afraid or nervous about flying at all.

Bottom line is for many of us it is physiological not psychological. I
find early in the season each year I must get used to flying the plane
again. More frequent flights and longer duration tend to train my body
back into flying mode. Still a very rough day, especially when your
body can not anticipate what the plane will do (rotor or rough
thermals) can still set it off.

Meclizine hydrochloride (Bonine) in low dosages is still the best I
have found for passengers. =BC to =BD tablet an hour before flight and I
have never had sleepy or sick passengers. This was recommended by my
brother who is a PharmD. Without it about 8/10 will get sick in about
an hour or less.

If you have question e-mail me off forum.

Tim