Airsickness

Old January 11th 05, 06:51 AM
Andy Blackburn

At 22:00 10 January 2005, Edward Lockhart wrote:
A reasonable assumption but I'm betting pharmaceutical
dope

Too easy!

I'm trying hard to imagine what it would be like to
fly after taking the cure - and with a quart of Rum
Raisin in your lap.

9B

Old January 11th 05, 11:49 AM

Sadly the two are related. Your physiology affects you psychology and
the converse. The usefulness of drugs probably indicates that the
airsickness starts as a phisiological problem, but my own experience is
that it is exacerbated by tension, ie, the fear of getting airsick. For
those who prefer not to be drugged while PIC, there are, in fact, a
number of methods to reduce the additive physiological effects of
psychological tension. I am aware of the Alexander Technique. I'm sure
there are others.

If you have difficulty imagining this relationship, consider stage
fright. The symptoms are almost identical to motion-initiated nausea.

A question for those who get airsick... after vomitting, do the
symptoms ease? Or does the nausea remain?

Old January 11th 05, 06:29 PM

Ed: The NASA research involves several heavy-duty drugs, one of which
is on the restricted list. That is why I am reluctant to post the
information on a public forum. I don't even know whether their use
would be legal under FAA requlations.

One of the drugs, Scopolomine, is readily available in the form of
anti-motion sickness ear tabs, and I am sure there would be no problem
using that alone. The other drug is not readily available, and I am
reluctant to name it.

For anyone who is still curious, I have written an account of my wife's
experiences (severe sea sickness completely cured), and I will be happy
to pass that along in private email: matt(at)takestockphotos.dot.com
Regards,

Matt

Old January 11th 05, 06:46 PM
For Example John Smith

Oh that'd bring the youngsters out to the glider field!
"That's right, we've got a medical waiver. Here, take a couple hits off
this bong before your demo ride to prevent nausea"
"Thanks, dude."
"Ready to go?"
"Whoa dude, got any pizza?"
Couldn't you just see this in Pez?
Speaking of.........?

"Edward Lockhart" wrote in message
At 19:30 10 January 2005, Tango4 wrote:
If he lets the secret out it'll kill a whole industry
selling snake oil to
cure motion sickness!!!

Ian

A reasonable assumption but I'm betting pharmaceutical
(for NASA researchers) dope; not available on prescription
but still easily purchased in your local neighbourhood.

It's been many, many years but as I remember it you
want to fill your stomach, not empty it.

Come on Matt, you can't post teasers like this on newsgroups
without us uninformed rabble speculating wildly.

Ed.

ps. I have a lot of respect for NASA and their achievements
and sacrifices over the years but, all of a sudden,
I can't help wondering whether a bong would work in
zero G.

Old January 11th 05, 09:21 PM
Mark James Boyd

Well, after thousands of airplane flights and hundreds of
glider flights, I had never been airsick. Even during
aerobatics, never a problem (of course, I wasn't
doing them for 2 hours, except when doing glider stuff!)

A couple of months ago, I was in a DG1000 on a mildly
rough thermal day. It was my first flight in the wonderful
glider, but I was queasy starting all the way from takeoff.

Well, it was also hot, and I drank perhaps a pint of cool
water. About 2 hours into the flight, I vomitted
(very professionally) into a tidy bag designed just for
that purpose.

Fortunately the front-seater was a perfectly capable
pilot, and really he was flying anyway.

After landing about an hour later, I tried to figure out why.
I was completely puzzled by this.
I'd been in similar conditions, heat, thermals,
tight banks, etc. If anything, the DG1000 had a much
BETTER ventilation system than most gliders.

I finally figured it out later that night. I had
a big bump on my head. It turns out that right before
takeoff, I had left the canopy open and leaned
left to buckle my harness and WHAM! The canopy
gave me a very hard whack on the back right
quarter of my noggin. Stupid rookie move.
It hurt, and I swore, but we
were ready to go, and so off we went.

So I'm certain I had a bit of a concussion right
before the flight, and this is what made me airsick.

Boy, I'd never considered this or experienced it before.
I tell ya, if I'm hit in the mellon again right before
a flight, I think I'm gonna call it off...

--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd
Old January 11th 05, 10:24 PM
Jim Kelly

For those punters wondering, Matt has some very helpful
information that is not suited to pilots in command.

Cheers,

Jim

wrote in message
oups.com...
Jim: I know of a remedy that REALLY works, (years of experience
in
ocean voyaging), and is based on NASA space research, but I am
reluctant to discuss it in a public forum for reasons that I will
make
known to you if you email me at:
Regards,

Matt

Old January 11th 05, 10:37 PM
Mike Lindsay

In article , jl seagull
writes
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:20:55 +1100, "Jim Kelly"
wrote:

Anyone able to share any ways that they have conquered this
curse??

Jim

Find & see an experienced *ex-mil* avmed Dr. If he can't assist you
no-one can!

IM observed experience, for most sufferers airsickness is
psychologically induced through repressed anxiety, fear or other
subliminal concerns or motivation rather than a true physical response
to the motion.

True in my case. One of the Meteor pilots (Mike) was particularly
pleased with a job I'd done and asked me if I'd like a ride in the
Station Flights Meteor 7 (tandem 2 seat trainer).

Do bears etc?! So about 2 weeks later off we went. On the way to the
aircraft, after a good lunch, one of the erks asked me if I'd taken my
airsick tablets? Ooh! never thought of that!

As Mike lined up I had in view a small cu at about 3000ft and perhaps
two miles upwind.
When he opened the throttles;- Whoosh! the cloud disappeared behind and
below us and the big hand of the altimeter was whizzing round like a
propeller.

As we climbed to about 12000 we passed Portsmouth, Bognor, Worthing,
Brighton and Eastbourne (in less time than it takes to type this.

'Do you mind, said Mike 'if I throw it around a bit?'
'Be my guest'

Suddenly the horizon swung round 180 degrees, so that the sea was on top
and the sky underneath. All the muck came off the floor. Marvellous for
someone who was used to 35 knots in a T21! I really enjoyed that. The
first ten minutes! Then I began to feel a bit hot, and suddenly my lunch
reappeared.

I'd have been OK if it hadn't have been for the remark about the airsick
tabs.
red.

--
Mike Lindsay
Old January 12th 05, 12:57 AM
ttaylor at cc.usu.edu

fiveniner asked:

A question for those who get airsick... after vomiting, do the
symptoms ease? Or does the nausea remain?

I feel fine for 20 to 60 minutes, then as long as I'm still in the
same environment the nausea starts coming back. You have to decide if
it is time to land after you fill the first bag or will you be high
enough and in a location that you can handle the plane when you need
the second one ;-). Tucked up tight against a ridge trying to scrape
you a** off the mountain top or trying to deal with an off-field
landing is not a great time to have to use the bag.

Tim

Old January 12th 05, 11:16 PM
jimk

"Roy Bourgeois" wrote in message

The same occurs on a boat. On deck seasickness it is rarely a problem -
but below deck (where there is no visual movement) watch out!

What works for me in that case (when I have to spend time below - like to
sleep / repair sails...) is to try and visualize the motion in my mind and
match it with what my inner ear is telling me. Not sure how to apply the
same method in a glider though.

For the pilot prone to airsickness this means at all times he should work
to keep his/her head still (to reduce inner ear movement) and keep eyes

out
of the glider. Watching the instruments, looking at at the floor or a map
will bring on the nausea quickly.

You got it...

Jim

Old January 13th 05, 11:31 PM
Jim Kelly

Same for me. It is definitely a relief to vomit, but only for 20
to 60min when reoccurence is likely.

jk

oups.com...