Boring airliners?

Old April 29th 05, 04:49 AM
Jay Honeck

I wonder if they've addressed the rudder pedal boost, which was
apparently much more sensitive than necessary?

That was a pilot training issue, not a design error. Remember?

While technically true, it's unfair to single out the actual pilot of the
doomed aircraft. Almost all of us believed that what he did would NOT have
resulted in the total destruction of the airplane.

I still believe that they should use software to limit rudder input
sensitivity, as (if I'm recalling properly) the flight data recorder showed
that the pilot's rudder pedal input was absurdly small -- like 5 pounds of
pressure (?) -- to get the rudder to swing from lock-to-lock.

Hell, that's way less than what is required in my Pathfinder. Airbus needs
to address that problem. (I would be surprised if they haven't already done
so.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 29th 05, 05:18 AM
Peter R.

P.S. Not a lot of comments from the US about the A380 now it flies.

After the X Prize, this is non-news. Now, had the A380 been taken into the
upper atmosphere...

--
Peter

Old April 29th 05, 08:40 AM
Stefan

Jay Honeck wrote:

that the pilot's rudder pedal input was absurdly small -- like 5 pounds of
pressure (?) -- to get the rudder to swing from lock-to-lock.

Hell, that's way less than what is required in my Pathfinder.

This is rather a problem of yor spam can which requires absurdly high
control input forces.

Stefan
Old April 29th 05, 09:23 AM

Hi Matt,

I was just teasing. ;-)
Well, the rudder isue is adressed again.

-Kees

Old April 29th 05, 11:51 AM
Cub Driver

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:14:55 -0000, Dylan Smith
wrote:

I'm also wonder what the point of the 7E7 is - surely the
midsize longhaul jet market is already adequately served by the 777?

It's the 787 (inevitable from the start; they were just getting a
cheap publicity boost by announcing the denomination, or denominating
the announcement, whatever).

It doesn't replace the 777 but the 757, the last one of which was
finished yesterday, and the line is now closed.

It actually does seem a bit different from the Boeing/Airbus
predecessors. Indeed, I'm suspicious that they'll try to squeeze extra
revenue out of the difference (in the 1960s there was a significant
surcharge on jet planes, even when no prop planes were flying at the
advertised price). Likely it will be a three-class airplane to cash in
on those who want to fly something new and (a little bit) different.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old April 29th 05, 11:55 AM
Cub Driver

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:07:31 +0200, Stefan
wrote:

You seem to miss that Airbus is *not* a French company. And the Brits
tend to be at least as sensible for connotations as the Yanks.

The sensitivity is very different, however. When I lived in England, I
was startled to find a range of books called Cheap Editions, and the
place where I got my teeth fixed part of the Health Scheme. To an
American, cheap meant shoddy, and scheme meant something close to
crooked.

Old April 29th 05, 03:00 PM
Stefan

Cub Driver wrote:

The sensitivity is very different, however. When I lived in England, I
was startled to find a range of books called Cheap Editions, and the

I'll always remember that American who proudly stated: Hey, I'm
certified! in a British environment. He earned big amusement and never
understood why.

The question remains: Why should Airbus care about the connotations
their name causes in the USA when their main market most probably will
be Europe, Arabia and Asia?

Stefan
Old April 29th 05, 03:20 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , ShawnD2112 wrote:
It's going to be interesting to see what a true Open Skies agreement will do
to this development in the industry. I think one or the other maker will
have a fleet of commercial dinosaurs on it's hands in about 10-15 years, but
it'll be anybody's guess at this point which one it'll be.

I don't think it's an 'either-or' game. The 7E7 and A380, at least as
far as I can see, are different tools for different jobs. The A380 will
do well where you need LOTS of capacities and you have the normal
constraints on building new runways. The 7E7 will do well on the routes
where you simply can't fill anything bigger, and may open up new routes
that were previously uneconomical. I expect both will succeed - one may
end up more profitable than the other, but I doubt either will flop
because they both have their place right now.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old April 29th 05, 03:22 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Dean Wilkinson wrote:
If you followed the airline industry, you'd realize that the 787 fills a
different market segment than the 777 does. The 787 is not an
intercontinental machine, its a regional machine, and will serve as a
replacement for the 757/767 models.

.... in which case why the planet of hell are all the pundits discussing
the A380 and 7E7 as head-on competitors? If that is the case their roles
are completely orthoganol.