The Secret of Homing Pigeon Navigation

Old April 5th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default The Secret of Homing Pigeon Navigation

At long last, homing pigeon navigation has been documented and the
surprising results can be used by soaring pilots who wish to travel cross
country with no GPS.

See
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...05/npige05.xml

Old April 6th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

COLIN LAMB wrote:
At long last, homing pigeon navigation has been documented and the
surprising results can be used by soaring pilots who wish to travel cross
country with no GPS.

I believe this has less to do with navigation than convenience.

Imagine the poor pigeon out over the countryside in need of
a toilet. Not a car for many kilometers.

I think they follow the roads because it gives them a ready
source of targets, especially windshields.

Just a thought.

8)

Willie

Old April 7th 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In article .net,
COLIN LAMB writes
At long last, homing pigeon navigation has been documented and the
surprising results can be used by soaring pilots who wish to travel cross
country with no GPS.

See
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...05/npige05.xml

Almost incredible, isn't it?

I have seen birds swooping low over our local train station, no doubt
they were reading the name of the town.
--
Mike Lindsay