me-109 overall "76" combat usage?

Old November 28th 03, 06:18 AM
old hoodoo

Default me-109 overall "76" combat usage?

I have seen one model and several original photos of overall RLM "76" (pale
blue) Me-109G-10's. Does anyone know their actual service purpose in this
color scheme and what units flew them?

Al

Old November 29th 03, 07:31 AM
robert arndt

"old hoodoo" wrote in message ...
I have seen one model and several original photos of overall RLM "76" (pale
blue) Me-109G-10's. Does anyone know their actual service purpose in this
color scheme and what units flew them?

Al

In the most simplistic terms RLM 76 camouflage was late war (70
series) day camouflage usually mixed in with RLM 74/75. As the war
progressed and the Germans began using forest facilities for cover
they switched to RLM 81 (green) based camouflage.
Me-109G series aircraft were painted a variety of RLM patterns but
shifted gradually from RLM 74 to RLM 81.

Rob
Old December 1st 03, 02:36 PM
steve gallacci

old hoodoo wrote:

I have seen one model and several original photos of overall RLM "76" (pale
blue) Me-109G-10's. Does anyone know their actual service purpose in this
color scheme and what units flew them?

I don't have the unit info on hand, but the overall blue was for high
altitude/top cover ops, basically a sky cammo.
Old December 13th 03, 09:12 AM
Krztalizer

By far the most famous unit was JG 3 "Udet" - during the bloody September heavy
bomber raids in 1944, the Magdeburg area was defended by JG 3 wearing exactly
this coloration. 10./JG 300 Mosquito Jägers, stationed at Jüterbog in the
summer-fall 1944 used the same low contrast camo, for night defense of Berlin
from Mossies. Not sure if this unit continued to fly sky blue a/c following
their transfer to NJG 11, but I doubt they bothered to repaint the birds after
the paperwork transfer.
Old December 15th 03, 03:04 AM
David R Townend

You mean Bf 109 don't you?

www.ultratech.net/~davtow

--

David R Townend

www.ultratech.net/~davtow

Old December 15th 03, 04:11 AM
Krztalizer

You mean Bf 109 don't you?

www.ultratech.net/~davtow

At no place in my post did I use the "Me" aircraft discriminator, but since you
brought it up, the Messerschmitt firm had already used "Me-109" on data plates
and internal company documents for years, so either this or Bf 109 would be
correct for the aircraft that was actually assigned the RLM identifier of
"8-109", if you'd care to quibble. I have copies of KTB (loss reports from
units to their parent wings within the Luftwaffe force structure) and
Messerschmitt docs that from as early as 1943 that clearly call the little
fighter "Me-109". I wouldn't say it was in general usage in Germany, as it was
in the Allied nations, but its certainly wouldn't have caused an identification
crisis if you called one by that name as it passed over. Good to remember that
every German pilot that flew them in combat usually referred to them as simply
"der Me" ('the Me').

Old December 15th 03, 05:04 AM
Ron

From: "David R Townend"
Date: 12/14/2003 8:04 PM Mountain Standard Time
You mean Bf 109 don't you?

www.ultratech.net/~davtow

--

David R Townend

www.ultratech.net/~davtow

"Krztalizer" wrote in message

Trying to correct Gordon on WW2 Luftwaffe history, is something one is doing at
their own peril

Ron
Pilot/Wildland Firefighter

Old December 15th 03, 07:01 AM
Krztalizer

Trying to correct Gordon on WW2 Luftwaffe history, is something one is doing
at
their own peril

LOL Ron, I don't mind corrections - as long as they are correct... My goal is
to attain a similar level of 'trivia saturation' concerning RAF, specifically
Mosquitos. When I can quote their history by rote, then I've accomplished
something.

v/r
Gordon
Old December 15th 03, 05:41 PM
phil hunt

On 15 Dec 2003 04:11:32 GMT, Krztalizer wrote:

[...]

I thought they were usually known by the version letter, such as
"Emil" for the 109E, "Gustav" for the 109G, etc.

(Email: , but first subtract 275 and reverse
the last two letters).

Old December 16th 03, 12:55 AM
Krztalizer

I thought they were usually known by the version letter, such as
"Emil" for the 109E, "Gustav" for the 109G, etc.

Not nearly as common as the 1970s books made it seem - most '109 guys' didn't
go for the nicknames in general. "Me", "Focke-Wulf", and "Dora" are the only
three nicknames that I routinely encountered during interviews with WWII German
aviators. I know that much is made of "Emil" and "Gustav", but most of the
guys didn't think variations to the basic airframe all that important. A 109
pilot usually said he flew 109s, not an Emil or a Gustav. A large percentage
of the 109 pilots flew exclusively in the latter stages of the war, so all they
ever knew was the G-series (K-4s were quite rare). No pilot I have talked to
has identified his aircraft by subtype - although the nightfighter 109 guys
flew highly modified Bf 109 G-10s and G-14s, none of the guys in Jotka 300
seemed to know/care which of the variants they drove around the sky.

v/r
Gordon
Stormbirds.com/recon