ELY Nevada

Old January 30th 09, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ELY Nevada

Does anyone have info about what's going on in ELY in 2009? Who's
going, is there a tow plane, etc....I'd love to fly out of these for a
week this year...............
Tom
Old January 30th 09, 09:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Uhmmm....

I bet there is lots of X-C soaring, folks climbing to (and beyond!)
flight levels, landings in the dark (did you know some pilots carry
headlamps in the cockpit for use IN FLIGHT!!!!???), in the boonies,
in the silver sage (did you know that millions of acres of NV are very
nicely landable- thanks ElyDan!) Lift at 10 AM and 10 PM, huge T-
storms, mega-gliders and moto-gliders that get rigged, tied down, and
never flown, excellent beer, amazing wine and discussions in many
languages, GARLIC chicken at Grubb's (is it Genetic??? Who ARE these
people???). Folks calling MAYDAY cause their noisy bit won't. (This
motorglider X-C thing is so lite...., I mean, come on... A new name:
Virtual Soaring! WaterWings of the Air!). "1000 km" OLC-slut flights
that are never out of glide of Ely, Epic amazing flights to Grand
Canyon and Return, to Tehachapi, to Jackpot (Again???), to TPH, to the
Moon! But not to Area 51. Solo flights with 2 people in the
aircraft! Or maybe i is a ghost. Hookers, Mormons,Tweakers,
Gliderscum, Legends, Wannabee's, and WaterThieves from LostWages -
Some of them are the same people! Hungarians, and Yuppies, and Poles,
and Czech's-not Slovaks, and Slovaks-not Czech's, Japanese, and Dutch,
and people from San Jose and kindergarten friends from .DE but live in
LA and talk smack at each other. At least they both limp now. But
sadly, no ElyDan or TomStowers (sniff, sniff). There might be
vortices, shelflift, and Tuaregs that open, close, and start with no
hands. Thepesky Tuareg may even try and pick up your wife! There
might be garnets on Garnet Hill and lift in the Rubies (NOT!) but
certainly ducks and herons. Jim,Jim,Jim,Jim, and Jim can be see there
flying simultaneously (Who Are these People???) - or it might be the
mushrooms in the Polish dish. You might see an eagle duke it out in
the middle of 50 with a JackRabbit. Or they may have both been
aliens. Bring guns, ammo, wine, water, money, money, and sunscreen,
the Polish cabbage and wild mushroom stuff, and a pocket ChiHuaHua to
go with your KimoBear. Did you know you can buy stainless, metric,
philips-head seat pan screws for AS-W20's at the hardware store????
It's true. How about a metric stainless 13mm wing nut? Yep. Wire
mesh to make a garnet sifter? That too! It is in the basement!
ASH's commonly dodge storage sheds, even after 7K ft and 300+ hp. It
is amazing.

Not much going on in ELY, move along, nothing to see

Old January 30th 09, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

............with so little going on there, I better not go...........
Old January 30th 09, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Jan 30, 9:30*am, wrote:
...........with so little going on there, I better not go...........

The only thing missing is an informative web site, last seen couple of
years ago I think...
This is all I found:
http://www.elysoaring.com/
http://elysoaringcenter.com/

Ramy
Old January 31st 09, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

That's a lot of excitement!
But is there still a barbecue in the breezeway of the terminal
building?
Jim
(who has never seen the Pawnee roll 45 degrees in turbulence at 300
feet AGL half a mile off the end of 18, knowing I'm next and full of
water)
I miss that place. Have to go back... With my "noisy glider" this
time.
Old January 31st 09, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Jan 30, 9:01*pm, JS wrote:
That's a lot of excitement!
But is there still a barbecue in the breezeway of the terminal
building?
Jim
(who has never seen the Pawnee roll 45 degrees in turbulence at 300
feet AGL half a mile off the end of 18, knowing I'm next and full of
water)
I miss that place. Have to go back... With my "noisy glider" this
time.

OOOOkaayyyy, so WHEN does the Ely gathering happen? I gave up trying
to get my truck back from my wife and bought another one, so I can
actually GO to some of these things.
TIA
Old January 31st 09, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

I don't think there has ever been a firm schedule from year to year.
Sometimes a group from Arizona will decide amongst themselves to spend
a week there, but that's often driven by the timing of the Region 9
contest, especially if it's at Parowan.

Not sure what "the best" time is but early and mid July was awesome
the two times I've been there.

2NO
Old January 31st 09, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It happens all summer. A tow is available 7 dyas per week all summer,
except Sundays until later as the towpilot goes to church.

The "Waterwings of the Air" crew is planning something in July, I
believe. I will have to get out my decoder ring and check their super-
exclusive, namebrandonly secret squirrel newsgroup to confirm.

A crew of Poles, Czech's-not Slovaks, and a guy from West Virginia
(honorary Pole) will probably be there beginning in mid-June.

The Hungarian and FlightLevelNightFlyers, probably July.

Earlier seems to e better than later in recent years as the monsoon
seems to be blowing in earlier each year.

See you in the Basin!
Old January 31st 09, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 31, 1:26�pm, " wrote:
It happens all summer. A tow is available 7 dyas per week all summer,
except Sundays until later as the towpilot goes to church.

The "Waterwings of the Air" crew is planning something in July, I
believe. �I will have to get out my decoder ring and check their super-
exclusive, namebrandonly �secret squirrel newsgroup to confirm.

A crew of Poles, Czech's-not Slovaks, and a guy from West Virginia
(honorary Pole) will probably be there beginning in mid-June.

The Hungarian and FlightLevelNightFlyers, probably July.

Earlier seems to e better than later in recent years as the monsoon
seems to be blowing in earlier each year.

See you in the Basin!

I have been going to Ely every summer since 2002. I would
recommend calling Ely Jet Center @ 1-775-289-8804. Ask for James, as I
am sure he will welcome your call and go over tow rates and other
fees. Maggie can also be of help.
The terminal has been closed for our use for the last several
years. But we use the hanger and a huge grill for our nightly
cookouts. As far as the best time goes, I would suggest looking at the
OLC, as in 2008, we flew from late June thur late July. The main
problem we had in 2008 was smoke from all the fires in California,
which greatly reduced visiblity. But we still got in many 1000 k plus
flights. Look at Russell Owens on the FAI OLC and you will see that
during July 2008, he posted the largest 6 FAI triangles totals flown
anywhere in the world. In 2007, again, late June/early July seemed the
best. Knowing Tom Stowers and all the camps he has held their, I
believe 9, planning always was a hope, as the best seems to occur just
before and after. If I were on a soaring vacation, I would plan on 2
weeks in Ely to give myself the best shot at really great weather.
Most of us just head out mid July because of other commitments, not
because the weather has gone bad.
The towplane is a 250 hp Pawnee. Even when we are loaded with
full water, it does a good job. You do need to get out of gliding
range, if your going to do 1000 k flights and advanced planning should
be done. Carl Herold also does fly out of Ely every summer. He now has
maps with many landable sites. Some advanced planning along with
speaking with some of the locals who do fly out of Ely will make your
trip more enjoyable.
Flying in the great basin can be very rewarding, but caution
also needs to be addressed, with a good mentor and a good managed
growth curve you will have a great time. Rumors from those who aren't
seen in Ely, need to be really toned down, as those that do fly out of
Ely, which include many time World record holders and World Champions,
know that the Great Basin has the finest thermal soaring anywhere, and
in order to fly with the eagles, we know you can't hoot with them

Thermal tight, Soar high, Fly safe....# 711.

Sierra Nevada passes [email protected] Piloting 4 June 5th 07 01:47 AM
To Nevada in an Aztec Jay Honeck Piloting 11 March 19th 06 05:16 AM
2000km in Nevada Kemp Soaring 6 May 20th 05 08:17 AM
Nevada Sales Tax De Owning 2 January 21st 05 04:22 PM
Tonopah, Nevada this week Michael Soaring 1 July 25th 03 04:43 PM