CAPSTAN SIDE BY SIDE TWO SEATERS

Old July 4th 04, 03:31 PM
Martin Judkins

In article , Chris Rowland
writes
On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 21:57:51 GMT, "Malcolm Austin"
wrote:

Hi, due to the current UK problems with flying K7's we have resurrected our
Capstan.

Having had a first flight in it today I'm surprised at how good it was. Yes
of course it's wooden and doesn't penetrate as well as glass! But it more
than makes up for that when thermalling......

I hear that very few were built (less than 60?), and only about 10 are left
flying. Is this the case, is it possible to find out where the rest of them
are.

There was a thread on the uk.rec.aviation.soaring group about this a
few months ago, try searching the archives for this.

Chris

I can't seem to find a newsgroup called uk.rec.aviation.soaring. Nothing
on Google either. Could you be a bit more specific.

thanks,
--
Martin

Old July 4th 04, 04:45 PM
Chris Rowland

wrote:

Hi, due to the current UK problems with flying K7's we have resurrected our
Capstan.

Having had a first flight in it today I'm surprised at how good it was. Yes
of course it's wooden and doesn't penetrate as well as glass! But it more
than makes up for that when thermalling......

I hear that very few were built (less than 60?), and only about 10 are left
flying. Is this the case, is it possible to find out where the rest of them
are.

There was a thread on the uk.rec.aviation.soaring group about this a
few months ago, try searching the archives for this.

Chris

I can't seem to find a newsgroup called uk.rec.aviation.soaring. Nothing
on Google either. Could you be a bit more specific.

Try http://www.gliderpilot.net/ it is an email group, not usenet.
Sorry to be so cryptic.

Chris

Old July 4th 04, 05:44 PM
Richard Cawsey

A list of Capstans and their locations:

http://www.rcawsey.fsnet.co.uk/t49.htm

Richard Cawsey

Old July 4th 04, 07:08 PM
Malcolm Austin

Ah well here in the 3rd world (the UK that is) we are a bit backward !!
Just managed to update to a 286 processor !!!

Malcolm...

"John Giddy" wrote in message
Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 09:34:06 +0100, Mike Lindsay
wrote:

In article , Malcolm Austin
writes
Hi, due to the current UK problems with flying K7's we have
resurrected our Capstan.

Having had a first flight in it today I'm surprised at how good it
was. Yes of course it's wooden and doesn't penetrate as well as
glass! But it more than makes up for that when thermalling......

There was one at Gransden Lodge last year; it may still be there.

It is, and has been joined this season by second, very well

restored,
example.

It seems sad that one cannot consult an on-line Aircraft Register in
the UK.
If it were possible, this thread could be answered by a search for all
Capstan gliders on the Register.
I have had a quick Google for such a Register, but it doen't seem to
exist as a web document; at least from a study of the CAA pages.
We have things easier in Australia. One can download the Civil
Aircraft Register as a *.csv file and then use any suitable program
(Access, Excel etc) to search for records of interest.
Cheers, John G.

Old July 4th 04, 07:12 PM
Malcolm Austin

Hey that link to the register was very interesting, shows there are more
out there than you might think...

Cheers, Malcolm...

"Dave Martin" wrote in message
Just watched one launch at Camphill, last seen ridge
soaring. One of two at the Vintage Rally

As some one said there was a thread on uk recration
soaring a few months ago.

For a list of UK Capstans see

http://www.mrandmrshedgehog.co.uk/skymaster/bga/bga.asp

and search on Capstans

To see the largest world wide gathering of Capstans
in many years, visit the Wolds 2 seater Comp in August
this yearI am told that there are 6 entered.

Old July 5th 04, 01:00 AM
John Giddy

Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 12:49:41 GMT, "John Giddy"

wrote:

Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 09:34:06 +0100, Mike Lindsay
wrote:

In article , Malcolm

Austin
writes
[...]

NZ does exactly the same.

There's no way the CAA could do that here in the UK because they

don't
register gliders: the BGA is responsible for that. I don't know if

the
BGA supplies them with lists of current registrations. OTOH,
publishing an online register *is* something the BGA could do and I,
for one, would like to see it made available.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

That is also the case in Australia, where the GFA registers gliders,
but uses letter groups allocated from the total possible set by CASA
(The Aussie CAA).
The GFA has to provide CASA with updates regularly, which are entered
into the general Register, and AFAIK, GFA no longer keep a separate
Register, but rely on the CASA overall database.
It is possible for the owner of a new glider to reserve an available
mark with CASA from the list of available marks which is also on line.
Then GFA will use that mark when registering the glider.
Cheers, John G.

Old July 5th 04, 02:46 PM
Neal Pfeiffer

Across the Atlantic, there is one regularly operating in the US. It is
owned by Jan Scott and is based in northern Virginia at his grass strip,
Scott Airpark. There is an in-flight photo from IVSM 2000 on the
following site. http://wingsandwheels.com/IVSM.htm

...... Neal

Malcolm Austin wrote:
Hi, due to the current UK problems with flying K7's we have resurrected our
Capstan.

Having had a first flight in it today I'm surprised at how good it was. Yes
of course it's wooden and doesn't penetrate as well as glass! But it more
than makes up for that when thermalling......

I hear that very few were built (less than 60?), and only about 10 are left
flying. Is this the case, is it possible to find out where the rest of them
are.

Our club, Denbigh in North Wales (UK) has one, anyone out there with
knowledge of the rest of them?

Cheers, Malcolm...

Old July 6th 04, 10:21 AM
Mark Fisher

There is a good list of Capstans at:

http://www.rcawsey.fsnet.co.uk/t49.htm

Mark Fisher
Cirrus JLX Talgarth

Old July 8th 04, 11:08 PM
Frank Dobbs

Mark Fisher wrote in message ...
There is a good list of Capstans at:

http://www.rcawsey.fsnet.co.uk/t49.htm

Mark Fisher
Cirrus JLX Talgarth

Our Capstan owned by the Ulster Gliding Club, Bellarena, Northern
Ireland is in good condition and flies regularly - mainly for trial
flights,now,as we have two K13s for regular learners.

Frank Dobbs
Zugvogel IIIa Bellarena
Old July 9th 04, 04:51 PM
Malcolm Austin

Hi Frank,
I have just one question in my mind now.. It doesn't look
good for K7's especially as the waiting goes on and on. I begin to wonder
if people are unable to make a decision, and if that's the case they will
probably go ultra safe; no more flying for the K7 (?).

This then means that the K13 which has a substantially similar wing will be
looked at next. With 7's out, the loss of 13's would be a disaster for many
cash strapped UK clubs!. And I guess it would be similar in many mainland
European clubs (not the few high member ones of course)

We need an answer soon on this situation, so that we committee members can
see what can be done. We've put the Capstan back on line at our club, but
this can't be the final resolution to a lack of K7's.

Maybe someone will design a good, easy to repair K7/K13 type aircraft for
the circuit and bump work, that we can afford. I'm sure we don't all need
high performance glass ships for this type of work?

Cheers, Malcolm.

m...