Hampton Inn Hobbs, NM

Old July 9th 04, 01:52 AM
Kilo Charlie

Default Hampton Inn Hobbs, NM

FYI for any of you folks headed to Hobbs with a dog and staying at the
Hampton Inn....they have changed their policy from the time that we made a
reservation (several months ago) to today i.e. NO PETS. Pretty much sucks
to get such late notice re this. No more Hampton Inn visits for this pilot
anyway....dog or not.

Casey Lenox
KC
Phoenix

Old July 9th 04, 05:29 AM
Tuno

I've been staying at the Lea County Inn this week, very close to the
airport, and I'll very likely stay here again next year. Nice pool, spa,
breakfast (the coffee is good), friendly staff, and free high-speed Internet
(be sure to ask the front desk for a cable). Recommended.

Sorry, KC, no pets ...

Ted Wagner
2NO
Tempe

Old July 9th 04, 06:23 AM
Burt Compton

So, did you find a motel that accepts a dog in Hobbs?

Burt, Kathie and Cozy the Yorkie (Compton)
Marfa Gliders, west Texas
www.flygliders.com
Old July 9th 04, 06:25 AM
Kilo Charlie

Lots of choices near the airport if you don't like canines but if you do and
want to take them critters you will be across town where we have stayed the
last 4 times......HoJos, Econo Lodge, etc. But heh....how wide can Hobbs
be? I guess wide enough to keep a few folks from making it home.

Mostly I'm just annoyed that we could have showed up there and not known
that the Hampton Inn policy had changed if we hadn't have called today.
Poor management me thinks. Speak with your feet I say. It's half the price
anyway too.

KC

Old July 9th 04, 03:56 PM
Chip Bearden

Hampton is a Hilton brand, so maybe we could prevail upon the
soaring-friendly parent company to intercede.

Seriously, Hampton Inns appear to be mostly franchised operations,
which means that although the parent company sets certain policies and
enforces standards, the actual franchisee/owner is usually free to
operate the property as they see fit. There's nothing on Hampton's Web
site that addresses pets so I suspect that particular policy is left
up to the individual hotel property's discretion.

The bad part is that if the manager gets ticked off by a few too many
inconsiderate pet owners, the pet-friendly policy goes away. The good
part is that you're negotiating with one person (the general manager)
and not a faceless corporate entity. And in the hotel biz, almost
everything is negotiable when there's enough money involved. And a two
week stay is a reasonable amount of money assuming the hotel isn't
already booked up for the contest.

Bottom line: might be worth another call and insist on speaking with
the general manager. Or at least not crossing Hampton off your list
across the country.

Chip Bearden
(currently on a consulting assignment for another hotel company--a

Old July 10th 04, 02:03 AM
Kilo Charlie

Well you're correct Chip....it is left up to the owner and we contacted the
owner and got an OK when we first made the reservation and then a thumbs
down after checking a couple of days ago i.e. it was the owner that changed
their mind.

As a BTW....every hotel we called in Hobbs had openings so finding a last
minute spot should not be an issue for anyone. The doggie hotels are
unfortunately on the opposite side of town from the airport though.

At this point my options are staying close to the airport with crew without
dog, staying farther away with crew and dog or staying close without crew or
dog. The last may be looking most probable considering there turns out to
be a horse show the second week of the contest....in California. All crews
have their price. Not sure I can compete with that one though.

Casey