Sea Glider

Old July 7th 04, 03:03 PM
OscarCVox

Default Sea Glider

Strange but true
http://www.paragliding.gr/gliding/build/bui004.jpg

Nigel
Old July 7th 04, 03:44 PM
Shirley

What's the story on it? where is this?
Old July 7th 04, 05:37 PM
OscarCVox

Try more
http://www.paragliding.gr/gliding/htm-files/build.htm
Old July 7th 04, 07:05 PM
Martin Gregorie

On 07 Jul 2004 14:44:36 GMT, unicate (Shirley)
wrote:

What's the story on it? where is this?

Go and look at the Hellenic Soaring Archive,

http://www.paragliding.gr/gliding/

and check out "Building Gliders in Greece" in the "Photo Album"
section.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old July 7th 04, 08:08 PM
Shirley

Martin Gregorie martin wrote:

Go and look at the Hellenic Soaring Archive,
http://www.paragliding.gr/gliding/

Wow, what an interesting site. Thanks for posting it! BTW, loved the little
blip about flying that sea glider, saying that it was launched using a power
boat and that the biggest problem was getting the wet tow-rope up out of the
water! Great story.

Old July 9th 04, 06:28 PM
Vassilios Mazis

A very exciting story indeed.

This is likely not the very first attempt at it, but seems to be the
first well documented case. I have heard of a tale of a British
expedition to Jugoslavia in the 1950s where they were shown a locally
crafted sea-glider.
maybe someone with contacts there would be able to research the story.

Greece has many fjord-type coastal regions and ridge-lines, complex
sea-breeze effects, wave systems over the sea, a long and hot summer
and having known one of the constructors I can well understand the
drive for the project. I often fantasize about the possibility of
repeating the feat, utilizing modern materials or as a modification
with inflatable or semi-rigid keels and buoys.
There is one serious concern though. When the sea-side ridges are
working well
enough to make a long flight exciting, the sea is likely to be
somewhat rough.....
It would be fantastic as a pleasure-ride ship though.

There has been an article in the British S&G about this in the 1980s.

http://www.cromemco.gr/gliding/English/index.htm
is a kind of portal into greek soaring
Old July 9th 04, 09:40 PM
Walter Kahn

One of the very first 'Sea gliders' must have been the modified B.A.C.7
in which Lowe-Wylde flew. He was towed behind a motor boat on the Welsh
Harp, a small lake in North London, England. The date was in 1931.

A video of this remarkable event is available from Ted Hull of the
Vintage Glider Club here in the UK.

Wally Kahn

In article , Vassilios
Mazis writes

Old July 11th 04, 10:48 AM
Vassilios Mazis

Wally,

the source about the Jugoslavian Boat-Glider, is Frank Irving. Perhaps
you might want to probe him for more information in case the gliding
historians
are interested.

warm regards

Vassilios

(ex - ICGC student)
Old July 12th 04, 12:08 AM
Doug Haluza

Yes, but there is an earlier example--the 1929 Peel Z-1 Glider Boat on
display at the Cradle of Aviation Museum on Long Island, NY (USA). It
is the only remaining one of 30 built in College Point, Queens, NY and
sold for $595.

For more info, see:

http://www.cradleofaviation.org/exhi...oat/index.html

Walter Kahn wrote in message ...
[...]

Sport Pilot - School Won't Offer Gary G Piloting 38 February 16th 05 10:41 AM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
Seeking Partners for Minden Based Glider Don Johnson Soaring 0 August 31st 03 07:20 PM
Restricting Glider Ops at Public Arpt. rjciii Soaring 36 August 25th 03 04:50 PM