GPS Smart antenna's

Old July 10th 04, 01:58 PM
Chris

Default GPS Smart antenna's

Hi Guys

I am researching GPS smart antennas (GPS Mouse) to feed to specific flight
air data / nav computers, has any one gone this route and can advise on
there experiences .

there are a few new GPS engines coming on to the market, Sirfstar 2 seems a
likely candidate, but all the smart antennas I have found are 3.3 to 5 volt
input, and magnetically mounted, what I want is no magnets and 12 volt
input, with out the added complexity of switch mode power supplies external
to the GPS, any one have any information on these problems?

Regards

Chris Runeckles

Discus A, TOP, VH - GUF

Old July 10th 04, 02:56 PM
Bill Daniels

The magnet base could probably be removed with a little surgery using an
Xacto knife.

The little 5.5V power supplies used for powering PDA's are really pretty
efficient. You are likely to need one for that purpose anyway.

Bill Daniels

Old July 10th 04, 04:20 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 20:58:04 +0800, "Chris"
wrote:

Hi Guys

I am researching GPS smart antennas (GPS Mouse) to feed to specific flight
air data / nav computers, has any one gone this route and can advise on
there experiences .

I'm in the process of doing just that. Take a look at the Garmin
GPS-35 range. The HVS model runs off 10-40v and outputs RS-232 levels.
The LVS version is similar, runs off 5v and outputs TTL levels, and
the PC model is designed to connect to a PC serial port, but with an
external 12v power supply.

I have a GPS-35 HVS, but haven't run it up yet. I'm right now building
an interconnect box to connect a GPS (Garmin GPS II+ or GPS-35) to an
EW D logger, SDI C4 flight computer and an iPAQ 3630 running XCsoar
software. As soon as I have the interconnect box done I'll be able to
run up the GPS-35.

there are a few new GPS engines coming on to the market, Sirfstar 2 seems a
likely candidate, but all the smart antennas I have found are 3.3 to 5 volt
input, and magnetically mounted, what I want is no magnets and 12 volt

I think you need to make a clear distinction between active antennas,
which is what I read 'smart antenna' to mean, and GPS engines (aka
'blind GPS'.

Active antennas are plug compatible replacement antennas for GPSs with
external antennas such as a Garmin GPS II+ - they give better coverage
by boosting the signal going into the GPS.

GPS engines (blind GPS) are a complete GPS engine and antenna in a
plastic block with no displays and a single multi wire connection.

input, with out the added complexity of switch mode power supplies external
to the GPS, any one have any information on these problems?

As Bill Daniels said, you'll need a 5v supply anyway to run your PDA
anyway. I've just built one into my interconnection box. It is about
35 mm x 15 mm x 15mm with a 'power on' LED. I dug it out of an iPAQ
cigarette lighter power cable that I got off eBay.

HTH

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old July 12th 04, 08:11 PM
Dave Houlton

Chris:

Take a look at http://www.gilsson.com/index.html. They've got a variety
of GPS antennas, amplified versions advertise tolerance of 2.5v - 12v.
Positive reviews in some Garmin forums, don't own one myself.

- dave

Old July 13th 04, 07:18 AM
Jeremy Zawodny

Dave Houlton wrote:
Chris:

Take a look at http://www.gilsson.com/index.html. They've got a variety
of GPS antennas, amplified versions advertise tolerance of 2.5v - 12v.
Positive reviews in some Garmin forums, don't own one myself.

I just ordered one for my GPSMAP 76S. I'll let the group know how it
works out if there's interest.

Jeremy