IR without actual IMC

Old August 8th 03, 08:53 PM
Julian Scarfe

"Scott Schluer" wrote in message
I would grumble also! I'm not IR (nor have I even begun IR training yet)

but
it stands to reason that if you're being tested for competency as it

relates
to flying in IMC and you run scared from actual IMC during your checkride
due to fear of failure or whatnot, you're not ready for it. So it's a

little
more stressful, ...

*Is* it more stressful? In Europe we have to do a checkride each year for
the IR. I pray for some nice IMC. It's usually smooth (Texans note, YMMV)
and the airspace is much quieter. There's usually enough clear air somewhere
to do the unusual attitudes work with peace of mind. By contrast, on a
"nice" VMC day as we're getting at the moment in the UK, there seems to be a
thermal (whoops there's 200 ft!) every mile and about half of them have
gliders hanging in them. I'll take soup any day.

Julian Scarfe

Old August 11th 03, 04:14 PM
Tom S.

"David Megginson" wrote in message
"Julian Scarfe" writes:

In Europe we have to do a checkride each year for the IR. I pray
for some nice IMC. It's usually smooth (Texans note, YMMV) and the
airspace is much quieter.

That's why I scheduled my first IFR flight test (Canadian ones are
biennial) for 8:00 am. I was hoping for morning fog and smooth air,
and I got 400 ft ceilings.

Out here in Arizona, we get about ten IMC days a year....maybe.

Old September 27th 03, 01:40 AM
Dan Foster

In article link.net, Iain Wilson wrote:
Anyone IR without having actually flown in IMC? My checkride is around the
corner and I've no actual IFR yet. I'm itching to experience it but the
damned weather isn't co-operating (seemed the same way with the PPL!).

Not much of an answer, but I can tell you that the one place you *DON'T*
want to pursue your IR training is in the Mojave Desert area (about an
hour's drive northeast of Los Angeles, USA) -- 360 days of perfect VMC
conditions, 4 days of degraded but still VMC conditions, and only one day
of actual IMC per year on the average.

With its wide-open desert areas and sunny skies, I think it'd be a dream
for me to do VFR flying there But completely the opposite for doing any
IFR flying in IMC conditions.

Of course, given that they've got a major military base in the area with
all sorts of exotic planes in the air... not likely to be much general
aviation air traffic other than these crossing via a carefully controlled
north-south corridor (as I understand it)!

I still can't believe I was able to see the base from about 1 1/2 hours out
(by car) given the desert was such so flat and wide-open with perfect
atmospheric conditions. Although it sure did have that illusion-like
quality to it -- seemed like it was 20 minutes away but in reality, about 90!

-Dan
Old September 27th 03, 03:28 AM
Casey Wilson

"Dan Foster" wrote in message
In article link.net,

Iain Wilson wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the promo, Dan. Take a look on the north half of the LA
sectional and you'll find a number of GA airports. My home patch happens to
be IYK (Inyokern, locally we refer to it as IYK International). WE pretty
much deal with the MOAs and other Special Use Areas.
From the south end of the region, starting at Palmdale, a pretty tight
corridor runs north and south through an MOA, just as you said, until you
get past the Naval Air Warfare Center at China Lake. A couple of east/west
corridors exist. One going just about even with Palmdale headed to KDAG and
HEC. Another pushes east/west from IYK through what we call the Trona
Corridor. That one just skirts the southern boundary of R-2505 with a little
bounce over R-2506 at 6,000MSL. Most times you can request and get clearance
through -06.
As far at the weather, it is like you said severe-clear most of the
year. But the winds, ah the winds. In the spring we can get winds like you
can't talk about. The National Weather Service classifies a hurricane as
having winds faster than 75MPH. We've done that. And the dust storms -- a
couple years ago a north wind picked up dust(sand) from Owens Lake (just
norht of IYK) and delivered it to San Diego. We call those quarter-inch
winds. The wind blows hard enough to carry quarter-inch gravel.
Well, that may be an exageration.
I'm in the midst of IR training -- flying out of Edwards Aeroclub at
Edward AFB -- and I appreciate the problems of no actual. My instructor
promises me we'll cross into the LA basin a couple of times so I don't have
to wear the Foggles.

Tailwinds....

Casey

Old September 28th 03, 01:27 AM
Mark Kolber

In article
link.net, Iain
Wilson wrote:
Anyone IR without having actually flown in IMC? My checkride is around the
corner and I've no actual IFR yet. I'm itching to experience it but the
damned weather isn't co-operating (seemed the same way with the PPL!).

It happens with regularity in some parts of the country.

Mark Kolber
APA/Denver, Colorado
www.midlifeflight.com
======================
email? Remove ".no.spam"
Old October 13th 03, 11:15 PM
Everett M. Greene

"Casey Wilson" writes:
[snip]
As far at the weather, it is like you said severe-clear most of the
year. But the winds, ah the winds. In the spring we can get winds like you
can't talk about. The National Weather Service classifies a hurricane as
having winds faster than 75MPH. We've done that. And the dust storms -- a
couple years ago a north wind picked up dust(sand) from Owens Lake (just
norht of IYK) and delivered it to San Diego. We call those quarter-inch
winds. The wind blows hard enough to carry quarter-inch gravel.
Well, that may be an exageration.

Have you figured out the ceiling readings issued by China Lake?
I seem to recall a 50,000 ft. "ceiling" being reported and
looking out the window at clouds so thin you could see right
through them. Would anything other than an SR71 be concerned
about that?

Everett M. Greene (The Mojave Greene, crotalus scutulatus scutulatus)
Ridgecrest, Ca. 93555 Path:

The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting
something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Old October 13th 03, 11:26 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, (Everett M. Greene) said:
Have you figured out the ceiling readings issued by China Lake?
I seem to recall a 50,000 ft. "ceiling" being reported and
looking out the window at clouds so thin you could see right
through them. Would anything other than an SR71 be concerned
about that?

Sun tanners.

--
Paul Tomblin