WxWorx flight test

Old September 23rd 03, 05:57 PM
Jon Carlson

FWIW, I asked WxWorx about this, and currently their software does not
support portrait orientations. Apparently they're working on it for a
future version.

-Jon C.

"Jon Carlson" wrote in message
news
... The WxWorx screen is a "landscape" layout

This is an interesting point. I have a Fujitsu tablet that I use for
JeppView approach plates. Of course, JeppView makes the most sense

in
portrait orientation. So would you have to flip the orientations

back
and forth? Or does WxWorx skew their window to whatever the long
dimension is? Or would it work in Portrait mode?

Hmmm....

-Jon C.

Old September 24th 03, 01:23 PM
Nathan Young

"Jon Carlson" wrote in message news:zX_bb.558103$o%2.244106@sccrnsc02...
FWIW, I asked WxWorx about this, and currently their software does not
support portrait orientations. Apparently they're working on it for a
future version.

-Jon C.

"Jon Carlson" wrote in message
news
... The WxWorx screen is a "landscape" layout

This is an interesting point. I have a Fujitsu tablet that I use for
JeppView approach plates. Of course, JeppView makes the most sense

in
portrait orientation. So would you have to flip the orientations

back
and forth? Or does WxWorx skew their window to whatever the long
dimension is? Or would it work in Portrait mode?

Hmmm....

-Jon C.

There are 3rd party software tools for rotating displays from portrait
to landscape. As long as the host program can accomodate a screen
resize, it will work. I used one with a remote touchscreen display
for my laptop and it worked well.

Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of the program.

-Nathan

Nathan
Old September 26th 03, 12:07 AM
Jon Carlson

No, that's a different issue. The issue with WxWorx is that they have
lots of (big) buttons that they have around the sides of their
display. I suspect the button layout doesn't work when it's in
portrait orientation. The screen will rotate, but the application
looks like crap because it's not designed with a flexible layout.

-Jon C.

om...

Old October 3rd 03, 05:47 AM
John McLaughlin

I have been using WxWorx for nine months, beginning with the early
beta software. I prefer a tablet pc with enough resolution to run in
portrait mode with WxWorx on the top 1/2 of the screen and XMLink on
the lower 1/2 so I can monitor the signal status. I have a velcro
kneeboard the compaq tablet attaches to. I am doing a talk for a
local aviation conference and posted the powerpoint files to
http://www.weatherpros.com/wmwx_files/frame.htm
Warning, slow connections will take some time to see the photos, but
you will clearly see what the display looks like in sunlight, portait
mode, in actual convection, etc. There are some comparison of XM-WX
data to data from internet sources.

John McLaughlin
Commercial Pilot
Radar Meteorologist
Old October 3rd 03, 02:29 PM
John Clonts

John McLaughlin wrote in message
om...
I have been using WxWorx for nine months, beginning with the early
beta software. I prefer a tablet pc with enough resolution to run in
portrait mode with WxWorx on the top 1/2 of the screen and XMLink on
the lower 1/2 so I can monitor the signal status. I have a velcro
kneeboard the compaq tablet attaches to. I am doing a talk for a
local aviation conference and posted the powerpoint files to
http://www.weatherpros.com/wmwx_files/frame.htm
Warning, slow connections will take some time to see the photos, but
you will clearly see what the display looks like in sunlight, portait
mode, in actual convection, etc. There are some comparison of XM-WX
data to data from internet sources.

John McLaughlin
Commercial Pilot
Radar Meteorologist

Great presentation John, Thanks!

What are these acronyms?
RUC = ?
LES = ? (Lake Effect Snow?)
SCIT = ? (Storm Cell Identification and Tracking?)

Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Old October 3rd 03, 03:12 PM
Nathan Young

(John McLaughlin) wrote in message . com...
I have been using WxWorx for nine months, beginning with the early
beta software. I prefer a tablet pc with enough resolution to run in
portrait mode with WxWorx on the top 1/2 of the screen and XMLink on
the lower 1/2 so I can monitor the signal status. I have a velcro
kneeboard the compaq tablet attaches to. I am doing a talk for a
local aviation conference and posted the powerpoint files to
http://www.weatherpros.com/wmwx_files/frame.htm
Warning, slow connections will take some time to see the photos, but
you will clearly see what the display looks like in sunlight, portait
mode, in actual convection, etc. There are some comparison of XM-WX
data to data from internet sources.

Great site John. Thanks. WxWorx would gather more customers if they
had half as detailed of info (on their website) as you do on this
site.

You mention transreflective tablet PCs in your presentation. Although
tranreflective laptops and PDAs can be found, I have not been able to
a transreflective tablet PC. Do you have any suggestions?

Nathan
Old October 3rd 03, 10:54 PM
Dan Luke

"John McLaughlin" wrote:
posted the powerpoint files to
http://www.weatherpros.com/wmwx_files/frame.htm

Great slides. The WxWorx/Intellicast side-by-sides are very
interesting.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old October 4th 03, 12:01 AM
Jon Carlson

Great review! Thanks very much.

I like your positioning the WxWorx window at the top of a portrait
display. I am flying with a Fujitsu Stylistic tablet, though, whose
resolution is only 800x600. I suspect that with a little window
dragging, though, one could see most of the actual data display area
and just move the buttons on screen as needed.

Thanks again.

-Jon C.

Old October 4th 03, 12:05 AM
Jon Carlson

One other question, actually. You're using one of the Compaq tablet
PCs. You mention transflective displays might be better. How bad is
what you've got? Is it readable at all in sunlight?

Also, using the official Tablet PCs, do you find the requirement for a
radio based pen to be an issue at all? I can imagine dropping it at
the moment when you really need to click something somewhere on the
screen.... And frequently a fingertip works nicely for me on the
Fujitsu tablet. Also it's handy not to have to fish the pen out of its
holster all the time. Any commentary?

-Jon C.

Old October 4th 03, 11:34 AM
Mark T. Mueller

I did some significant research into this recently. I have been looking for
a quality TFT Tablet, but the only mass production version is a Fujitsu with
very poor user feedback (screens fail, poor colors, not very durable - do
not ever drop!) I fly a Tiger, and with the "bubble" type canopy, I MUST
have TFT...

I came to the conclusion what I really needed was one of the "ruggedized"
TFT Tablets made for the military/law enforcement market. But those are
insanely expensive.

The good news is NavAir has a WxWorx Pocket PC solution. I don't have all
the equipment yet, but I did pick up a Toshiba e755 (TFT) for under $350,
and a WAAS enabled GPS CF card for under $150. The bonus is I can actually
use the PDA for work and other personal business!!!

Mark

m...