Looking for 'Ulitmate' IFR flight form

Old October 11th 03, 01:44 AM
Cecil E. Chapman

Default Looking for 'Ulitmate' IFR flight form

Has anyone found a REALLY great/comprehensive 'flight form' to use for their
IFR flying?

Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

Check out my personal flying adventures: www.bayareapilot.com

Old October 11th 03, 02:08 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Cecil E. Chapman wrote:
Has anyone found a REALLY great/comprehensive 'flight form' to use for their
IFR flying?

It's not the Jepp binder ones. They just sacrificed a bunch of room in
the weather briefing area so the bottom of *every* *single* *sheet* could
have the complete explanation of when to file /E (or whatever the EFIS
code is). It takes up 1/4 of the page...

I'm thinking of making up a form and having kinkos print me a pad.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 11th 03, 02:21 AM
Ray Andraka

A totally blank piece of paper.

"Cecil E. Chapman" wrote:

Has anyone found a REALLY great/comprehensive 'flight form' to use for their
IFR flying?

----

--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950
email
http://www.andraka.com

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old October 11th 03, 03:19 AM
Craig Prouse

"Cecil E. Chapman" wrote:

Has anyone found a REALLY great/comprehensive 'flight form' to use for their
IFR flying?

I've flown IFR four times recently between the SF Bay Area and Portland,
Oregon. Here is a representative reproduction of everything I have written
on my kneeboard at the end of a 4+ hour 500+ NM flight (hand written on a
blank mini legal pad):

-----
8/22 KHIO CANBY SIX CANBY V23 SAC V334 SJC -D 7000 2115Z

ENI 328@50 5 NM/8000 MSL

HIO *T* 2050Z 340@6 V10 SCT050 21/12 29.96 VIS RWY30

CANBY6 M4K X7K 5 MIN 126.0 6633

OFF 2123

NGF66F

PAO *Q* 0047Z 290@15 FEW040 29.93

FLT 4:27 T 509.0 H 611.5
-----

That is my filed route, weather briefing, departure ATIS, clearance, time
off, the N number of a NORDO aircraft that I was asked by ATC to help
locate, arrival ATIS, and end-of-flight timestamps.

Not sure what I'd do with a big complex flight planning form.

Old October 11th 03, 04:51 AM
Teacherjh

Has anyone found a REALLY great/comprehensive 'flight form' to use for their
IFR flying?

I created one myself in Word which I use for IFR and VFR planning. Sometimes I
use it more, sometimes less (sometimes not at all, depends on the flight and
reroutings I get). If you want, Email me (mind the spam trap) and I'll send
you the file. It's in Microsoft Word 97 format.

Jose

Old October 11th 03, 12:29 PM
Peter R.

Ray Andraka wrote:

A totally blank piece of paper.

LOL! That's been my experience as of late, too.

"Cessna 123, full route clearance, advise when ready to copy."

Then, in the air not even past the first fix:

"Cessna 123, Center has an amended clearance, advice when ready to
copy."

--
Peter

Old October 11th 03, 02:44 PM
Maule Driver

I made my own too. Certainly not the most comprehensive but after 2-3
revisions over 3-4 years, it's mine!

Making one up myself to fit my own needs was a good experience. I thought
out, and re-thought out what I want written down, in what order, etc. I
built my 'approach briefing' into the form so when single pilot IFR headspin
starts up, I know I can checkoff the items on my personal briefing form with
great confidence and calm. I've revised it when I discovered flaws or
omissions.

Old October 11th 03, 03:37 PM
Kobra

Cecil,

I agree with the "nice, crisp, totally blank piece of paper" philosophy.
The first thing I right on it is C R A F T down the left side.

I have tried pre-printed forms with the boxes for: the Departure Weather,
Enroute Weather, Destination Weather and Alternate Weather. Each one of
those is broken down in the Winds, Sky, Temp, etc. Then there's boxes for
filing the IFR Flight Plan. Then there's CRAFT, next comes the Nav Log
boxes, then boxes to write down the destination ATIS, etc.

The problem is that when flying IFR it is a very dynamic process. In other
words you rarely get the route you file, they amend it in the air, they take
you off course to cut a corner, the briefers and ATIS talks so fast that you
can't get the information in the right boxes. The nav-log is useless unless
you KNOW the route in advance, you actually get that route and they don't
amend your flight plan "on the fly" (no pun intended).

It's just easier to have a totally blank piece of paper and jot down each
bit of information on a large area instead of looking for a little box on a
form and trying to write everything into that little confined space.

Put CRAFT on your paper and maybe Destination ATIS with the frequency to
remind you to get the weather information before contacting the terminal
approach controller. This works for me.

Kobra

Old October 11th 03, 03:46 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Cecil E. Chapman" said:
Has anyone found a REALLY great/comprehensive 'flight form' to use for their
IFR flying?

I just bought a Zuluboard knee board (from zuluworks.com) and it came with
a pad of pre-printed forms. I haven't used it yet, but it's got some
interesting things on it. On one side of the paper, it's got a
pre-printed flight plan form and a marked off area for weather briefings,
including a box for the synopsis, another (probably too small) area for
current conditions, and another (probably too small area) for TAFs. One
thing I might find useful is the pre-printed list of winds aloft
altitudes. The front side has a space for your departure ATIS and CRAFT,
another to record all your frequency, altitude and heading assignments,
and fuel tank switches. Then at the bottom it has space for the arrival
ATIS, a runway diagram, and a few other quick facts about the arrival
airport you might want to fill in ahead of time.

I'm not sure if I'll like the forms - it seems quite likely that there
isn't going to be room for everything. I often cover two pages with my
weather briefing. But I'll try it out. I bought the knee board just
because I wanted one with a pen pocket and a mag-light pocket on it, so
the pad of forms is either a bonus or no harm done.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"using Outlook to read e-mail is like licking public toilets; using Outlook