Procedure for calculating weight and balance

Old January 6th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.student.aviation
Mxsmanic

Default Procedure for calculating weight and balance

The manual for my aircraft gives figures for MOM and ARM at various
stations, but it doesn't actually explain how to use these to
calculate weight and balance. I want to place the load so that the
aircraft neither pitches down nor pitches up. Can someone provide me
with a pointer to an explanation of the procedure on the Web
somewhere?

Old January 6th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Mxsmanic posted:

The manual for my aircraft gives figures for MOM and ARM at various
stations, but it doesn't actually explain how to use these to
calculate weight and balance. I want to place the load so that the
aircraft neither pitches down nor pitches up. Can someone provide me
with a pointer to an explanation of the procedure on the Web
somewhere?

The calculations are simple math. Why would you need a pointer to anything
but an elementary math book?

Neil

Old January 6th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Neil Gould writes:

The calculations are simple math. Why would you need a pointer to anything
but an elementary math book?

I'm sure the calculations are simple, but I still need an explanation
of which calculations to perform.

Old January 6th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Andrew Sarangan

No one places the loads to exactly so as to balance the airplane. The
elevator downward force is increased or decreased during flight to
balance the airplane for varying load conditions. For example, when a
passenger walks forward, the elevator downward force must be increased
to counteract that. The CG is calculated using the moments and arms to
make sure that it falls within the approved limits. If the CG falls too
far forward or too far backward, the elevator may not be able to
provide the force necessary to balance the airplane.
See he http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_...%28aircraft%29

Old January 6th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Neil Gould writes:

The calculations are simple math. Why would you need a pointer to
anything
but an elementary math book?

I'm sure the calculations are simple, but I still need an explanation
of which calculations to perform.

An Example should be in the POH that explains everything

BT

Old January 6th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Andrew Sarangan writes:

No one places the loads to exactly so as to balance the airplane. The
elevator downward force is increased or decreased during flight to
balance the airplane for varying load conditions. For example, when a
passenger walks forward, the elevator downward force must be increased
to counteract that. The CG is calculated using the moments and arms to
make sure that it falls within the approved limits. If the CG falls too
far forward or too far backward, the elevator may not be able to
provide the force necessary to balance the airplane.
See he http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_...%28aircraft%29

I didn't realize Wikipedia had an article on this. I'll take a look.

Old January 6th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

BT writes:

An Example should be in the POH that explains everything

I looked, and there are charts, but nothing specific on how to
actually calculate things. The Wikipedia article helped, although I
still don't know how to find the center of gravity in the aircraft, as
apparently manufacturers don't set their reference point at the actual
center of gravity (the point that would keep the aircraft level).

Old January 6th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Stubby

also check faa.gov AC-61-238 "Pilots' Handbook of Aeronautical
Knowledge" will answer all your questions (I hope).

Old January 6th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

Neil Gould writes:

The calculations are simple math. Why would you need a pointer to anything
but an elementary math book?

I'm sure the calculations are simple, but I still need an explanation
of which calculations to perform.

All W & B calculations result from taking the sum of all moments and
dividing by the sum of the associated weights.

Sum (arm*weight) / sum (weight) = CG

The arms are referenced to the datum -- an arbitrary point -- sometimes
the LE of the wing, sometimes a point ahead of the nose; but nonetheless
it is THE reference point for a given aircraft.

The POH will list the arms for each seat, fuel, oil, baggage, etc.
Old January 6th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ash Wyllie

Mxsmanic opined

Neil Gould writes:

The calculations are simple math. Why would you need a pointer to anything
but an elementary math book?

I'm sure the calculations are simple, but I still need an explanation
of which calculations to perform.

__
\
\
arm * weight = (arm * weight )
aircraft aircraft / components components
/__

-ash
Cthulhu in 2007!
Why wait for nature?